SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#433045 - 06/17/17 10:45 PM playing full time vs being a weekend warrior
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ mentioned 20,000 gigs in his lifetime (unless he's including a previous lifetime in the count?).

I figured out a few years ago that my own count is 15,000 +. I went full time in my early 20's and have been playing full time ever since. Of course, you have to remember jobs were hanging off of the trees just waiting to be plucked in those pre-DJ days.

Donny mentioned in another post that when we talk we need to remember each other's background if we want to be understood. The full-timer vs the weekend warrior.

Speaking for myself, I've been through it all from the days you'd be playing seven nights a week and wore a business suit in the night club you were playing or you'd walk into a VFW and the people were lined up wall to wall, laughing, joking having a good time and just waiting for the musician to come so the dancing could begin. And the 2-3 hours overtime you would get on every gig. Right up to today's audiences who are so busy working their smart phones they don't even know you're there. Or they're sitting there making plans for when they can leave the event. Jobs no longer go 4-6 hours, they barely reach two hours before they're totally bored.

The point is, speaking for myself, unless you've lived through those times and through the days when you had a simple keyboard and you made it work, and technological breakthroughs in music equipment happened so slowly you had time to adjust, and changes in audiences, etc, you're not going to understand a person who has.

So Donny is absolutely correct that full-time professionals, those of us who took stagecoaches to a gig in the early days, are going to talk differently and understand differently and have a different slant on things than those who play on the weekends.

BTW: any others who come close to Russ and me?

#433056 - 06/18/17 07:15 AM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Russ mentioned 20,000 gigs in his lifetime (unless he's including a previous lifetime in the count?).

I figured out a few years ago that my own count is 15,000 +. I went full time in my early 20's and have been playing full time ever since. Of course, you have to remember jobs were hanging off of the trees just waiting to be plucked in those pre-DJ days.

Donny mentioned in another post that when we talk we need to remember each other's background if we want to be understood. The full-timer vs the weekend warrior.

Speaking for myself, I've been through it all from the days you'd be playing seven nights a week and wore a business suit in the night club you were playing or you'd walk into a VFW and the people were lined up wall to wall, laughing, joking having a good time and just waiting for the musician to come so the dancing could begin. And the 2-3 hours overtime you would get on every gig. Right up to today's audiences who are so busy working their smart phones they don't even know you're there. Or they're sitting there making plans for when they can leave the event. Jobs no longer go 4-6 hours, they barely reach two hours before they're totally bored.

The point is, speaking for myself, unless you've lived through those times and through the days when you had a simple keyboard and you made it work, and technological breakthroughs in music equipment happened so slowly you had time to adjust, and changes in audiences, etc, you're not going to understand a person who has.

So Donny is absolutely correct that full-time professionals, those of us who took stagecoaches to a gig in the early days, are going to talk differently and understand differently and have a different slant on things than those who play on the weekends.

Mark I'm 64 started on stage professionally at 14 I totally agree it was a glorious time for musicians gigging 20 years before arrangers were ever thought of for sure all sadly gone but the experiences live forever in my heart and soul always, as a matter of fact I still have my "FRILLY" Tuxedo shirt & Velvet Bow Tie gig clothes hanging up in the closet!! lol,... ....short story.....when I was a kid around 10-11yrs old playing keyboard/piano my dad put me playing with some older guys in big bands, one time during a break one of the band members todl me " hey you know when we take breaks dont go smoke or hangout outside always go SMOOZE" ??? As a stupid inexperienced kid I said "What the hell is SMOOZE"? he said you know go out into the audience hug the ladies, shake hands give out business cards get NEW Work etc etc .......then I understood what he was saying and to this day I still SMOOZE always!!

I'm glad you catch my drift and can dig what I'm saying!! cool2

take care

Edited by Dnj (06/18/17 07:29 AM)

#433061 - 06/18/17 07:26 AM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Russ mentioned 20,000 gigs in his lifetime

It's too early to count that high, and math makes my head hurt, but I'm sure I'm up in those numbers too. full time for most of 5 decades, and still at it

#433071 - 06/18/17 09:35 AM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've been a full-time pro for more than 40 years, and part-time before that.
I have probably averaged 5 nights a week, plus a few doubles.
40 years times 50 weeks is 2,000 weeks.
2,000 times 5 is 10,000 nights, give or take a thousand or so.
Those of you who have done 20,000 jobs are truly workhorses!

#433076 - 06/18/17 10:26 AM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm in the same category as DonM when it comes to numbers, but the past 30 years have been the most active. The prior 20 years were mainly weekend warrior jobs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#433082 - 06/18/17 12:13 PM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I believe the original post was thosw who preformed live and those who didn't. Big differences in perceptions and opinions about things there. But full time vrs. weekend warrior. I don't see any big differences except the pressure to keep booked that the full timer has. And where is the work nowdays to keep a full timer going ? Even top Wedding and Coorporate Bands are basically just working weekends so if some of them do nothing during the week are they still full timers ? And my hats off to those who have done it in the past when things were good and not fallen into a lifestyle that can eventually eat you up.
One of my favorite bands here is ROSS2, a husband and wife team and they are doing 5 days a week but also run a small construction company so where do they fit in.
Weekenders still try to preform their best on the best equipment so what seperates them from full timers ?.

#433088 - 06/18/17 04:07 PM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
I believe the original post was thosw who preformed live and those who didn't. Big differences in perceptions and opinions about things there. But full time vrs. weekend warrior. I don't see any big differences except the pressure to keep booked that the full timer has. And where is the work nowdays to keep a full timer going ? Even top Wedding and Coorporate Bands are basically just working weekends so if some of them do nothing during the week are they still full timers ? And my hats off to those who have done it in the past when things were good and not fallen into a lifestyle that can eventually eat you up.
One of my favorite bands here is ROSS2, a husband and wife team and they are doing 5 days a week but also run a small construction company so where do they fit in.
Weekenders still try to preform their best on the best equipment so what seperates them from full timers ?.

Bill , I think you are right.. I don't see any difference in a weekend performer and full time performer...
The skill level doesn't change...in fact I can see the weekend performer putting more into it.... not a job for them, where as full time it most certainly is a job... and it shows.

I have seen it over and over...guys missing family advents for last minute gigs..even poor paying gigs..

I have worked full time businesses.. Music store and Contracting at the same time , and played 2 or 3 nights a week..
I don't even want to think about doing that again..

#433090 - 06/18/17 04:08 PM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Fran, you were too old to do that crap when I first met ya! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#433091 - 06/18/17 04:09 PM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: travlin'easy]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Fran, you were too old to do that crap when I first met ya! wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary I was doing it then.... (1982-2002)

Edited by Fran Carango (06/18/17 04:11 PM)

#433092 - 06/18/17 04:42 PM Re: playing full time vs being a weekend warrior [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I think the hardest thing for full timers besides the booking is to keep it fresh when it is a job.

Bill , I think you are right.. I don't see any difference in a weekend performer and full time performer...
The skill level doesn't change...in fact I can see the weekend performer putting more into it.... not a job for them, where as full time it most certainly is a job... and it shows.

I have seen it over and over...guys missing family advents for last minute gigs..even poor paying gigs..

I have worked full time businesses.. Music store and Contracting at the same time , and played 2 or 3 nights a week..
I don't even want to think about doing that again..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online