SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#432569 - 06/01/17 12:47 PM That drive to play music
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Got ogether this morning for breakfast with the guys I was in a band with back in high school. Several others were also there who played back then....ages 65+

We all talked about our health problems. A few dealing with cancer(one diagnosed as terminal), others with heart problems and you name it types of health problems.

Yet all we're planning their summer gigs and talking about buying new equipment.

It wasn't about needing the money, it was about the love of the craft.

After graduation, we all went our separate ways...got back together after retirement....40 some odd years later.

We all had careers other than music...yet music continues to be the driving force in our lives.

Maybe music is the thing that makes it worth it to get up and get going each day?

smile

#432572 - 06/01/17 03:04 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

It is. I'm 100% in the 'rock til ya drop' category. I have retained that enthusiasm ever since I can remember. It's the one essential ingredient, glad you and your buddies have retained it down the years, too.

#432574 - 06/01/17 03:45 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
If I could regain my health, I would be performing on stage 5 days a week, which would be a decrease from my playing schedule before health issues forced me into retirement. However, I can honestly say the driving force that kept me on stage 6 to 7 days a week, often 2 to 3 times a day, was definitely MONEY! Yep, my dear, departed daddy once told me "Son, there's only one thing money cannot buy - POVERTY!" Dad was pretty damned smart.

Now, I did enjoy every minute I was performing - no doubt about it. But, playing music and singing to the ladies provided me with an excellent income, more than enough to support my family, pay for our home, buy me several boats, including a sailing yacht, pay for many vacations to the sunny south, buy me a few new cars, and provide me with enough to put together a retirement plan that I currently am enjoying. None of those things would be possible without MONEY! Well, one thing would - I would still have enjoyed being a musical entertainer.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#432575 - 06/01/17 03:52 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I was fortunate to have a career and music at the same time. Now, with retirement, it’s music straight ahead.

#432577 - 06/01/17 05:39 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I thought I would miss it more after playing 5 to 6 nights a week for 45 years. Now I seem to dread even going to play for a night somewhere. Sure, it's fun after you get going, but I don't like the loading, unloading, setting up etc., even though I have it down about as light and quick as possible.
Probably will change my mind...we'll see.
I raised my price again for private parties, so when I get one, it will be well worth it. Next scheduled job is in Oklahoma in July!

#432585 - 06/02/17 08:50 AM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'll never get enough playing time. Sadly, I'll have to decide to give something precious to me up pretty soon.A long-time client is ready to introduce a new line. It will nearly double the work for several years. There is some film score work for them, but I'll either have to drop 60 hours of recording (2 30 hour marathons a month) or the 80 hours I play monthly at the Country Club.

Problem is, I like all involved activities equally.

Guess I'm lucky to have the problem.

R.

#432617 - 06/04/17 01:38 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dom I accepted jobs from Friday to Sunday night. By Sunday night I was not in the mood for more. But --- Come Friday I was ready to go again. The lifting and putting together – and getting there and home again can dampen a spirit over a long period.

The same old same old sometimes needs help. A new keyboard does help, but not for long. A creative imagination is needed, and you do have one to have come this far. Are all your jobs singles?

John C.

PS, I left the band for six months. After playing cards and going to the movies I bought a new guitar and ran back to the band.

#432618 - 06/04/17 02:36 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've done the music thing in public for the better part of 50 some odd years. It's still my first love.

However, my bad hip has been telling me these past few weeks to take a break.

#432619 - 06/04/17 03:18 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: bruno123]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Dom I accepted jobs from Friday to Sunday night. By Sunday night I was not in the mood for more. But --- Come Friday I was ready to go again. The lifting and putting together – and getting there and home again can dampen a spirit over a long period.

The same old same old sometimes needs help. A new keyboard does help, but not for long. A creative imagination is needed, and you do have one to have come this far. Are all your jobs singles?

John C.

PS, I left the band for six months. After playing cards and going to the movies I bought a new guitar and ran back to the band.

Problem is I'm really spoiled. I have primarily played at the same place most of the time for 25 years, 5 nights a week. I didn't have to ever break down and set up unless I had something outside, and I have enough gear for two complete setups anyway.
Now I'm not there and doing occasional parties or events. I'll get used to it.

#432623 - 06/04/17 07:09 PM Re: That drive to play music [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Today, I met with some sailing friends that have sailed their 37-foot Morgan sloop from Fort Myers, Florida, where left 4 weeks ago. I met them 4 years ago when I sailed down to the Florida Keys and we began caravaning south when we anchored at the same location in Virginia's segment of the Intra Coastal Waterway. Roger had lived in Detroit, he hated that city, and Sandy, was a registered nurse in a major Detroit hospital emergency room.

Roger decided to have a beer on the way home from work, he was recently divorced and Sandy decided to have a cold one in the same bar, one that had live music. They sat down at the bar, next to each other, struck up a conversation during a time when the band was on a break, and Roger said he was gonna get the Hell out of Detroit. He said he was having serious thoughts of buying a sailboat and sailing to Mexico. Sandy said "That sounds like one Hell of a trip - who is going with you?" Roger responded "No one unless you want to go." Sandy said "Why not! I've got nothing better to do." They packed their clothes and sailed away and never looked back.

On the trip south, right after we met at the anchorage and had a couple Green Coconut Margarettas, Roger noticed all the music gear in my boat and said "are you a musician?" I said "well, kinda, but more an entertainer and singer than a musician." As we made out way south, Roger would frequently stop at one of the marinas, and book a job for me, almost like having a sailing agent.

Do I miss those jobs away from home? You betcha. And, if I were physically able, I would still be out there doing them. We had dinner at Schaeffer's Canal House Restaurant and Marina this evening, the place was packed and they had a reggae band, well kinda like a DNJ reggae band. The guy had a laptop, mixer, flat screen monitor and a lady singer. The gal had a pretty good voice, but like much of the reggae music I've heard over the years, nearly every song sounded the same and the lyrics were very repetitive. No one in the place was paying a bit of attention to them at all. And, when they finally took a break, the audience seemed to breathe a sigh of relief because as the band's performance progressed, they, like many similar groups, figured that if no one was paying any attention to them, they cranked up the volume to ear bleed levels. Finally, the manager told them to take a break and turn down the volume.

As we left, Roger looked at the crowd, about 200 people, then turned and said to me, "I would bet my bottom dollar that if you were on that stage, there would have been 50 or more couples on the dance area and you would have a full tip jug." Yep, I really miss that part of this business as well. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online