SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#431576 - 05/10/17 06:59 AM So EXCITED About the Roland EA7
Dnj Offline

Very enjoyable demos of features on the Roland EA7 arranger KB (styles & sounds... demo3 @ 3:00)
I learned some kool ideas for my own music..and LOTs of Bang for the Buck too.
I hope Fran will add to this also since he has one too..

Edited by Dnj (05/10/17 07:25 AM)

#431578 - 05/10/17 09:02 AM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Does anyone here on SZ have a EA7 besides Fran?
Would love to hear your thoughts if so...

#431582 - 05/10/17 11:49 AM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

After playing it for a couple minutes, i realised that the keybed was not for me...
Keep in mind tough that the same goes for the psr s970...

So thats hugely based on a personal dislike for extremely light keybeds.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431583 - 05/10/17 11:56 AM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Many pro player love light weight keys...

#431584 - 05/10/17 01:56 PM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Whats with Roland and these mini keys ? Is this only aimed at kids ? A few more dollars for a decent keybed would well be worth it. Not necessarly weighted but at least full size.
Wonder if I can download the Styles to try on my BK9 ?

Fran ? Fran ? Fran ? RIbbitt

#431588 - 05/10/17 05:12 PM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Mike W Offline

Don,

I have been using an EA7 since it first became available. I had a BK9 and liked it a lot, but at least for me it was not easy to use for live playing if I wanted to access different sounds on the fly (more scrolling, compared to T5 and Pa4x). I also had a BK7M module which I enjoyed, but it was not easy to adjust the sounds on the fly and it had to be midied to a keyboard to play the voices. In both cases, I found the Roland styles refreshing to play, probably since I have played Yamaha since the T2 days.

I felt the EA7 was the best of both worlds since it has the ability to easily adjust sound levels of all 4 voices in real time, it plays all the styles from the BK9 and BK7M (and some other Roland arrangers), and dual screens (revised and different from the BK9) made it easy to use buttons to access things quickly. I used to think that touch screens were the answer, but I must say that the EA7 makes things pretty easy and quick to use. I think the Roland engineers really listened when they designed the layout.

Right now I have a Korg Pa4x which I tend to use when I play live solo (though I'm not a pro like many of you guys), and a Tyros 5 which I use as a upper tier connected via midi to an RD2000 on the bottom and pedalboard for home playing. The BK7M is holds up pretty well compared to both of these arrangers, especially if you consider the price.

Here's what I like best about the EA7:
- it's my first choice for practice sessions with a band or when I want to play spur of the moment as an arranger since it is light and sounds great. And it fits nicely in the trunk of a 2 seater sports car if that's important. The speakers are ok for practice, but you really need amplification for the best live sound
- it's true that the keys are shorter, but the keys are firm and for the most part play well. Not as nice as the Tyros or Korg, but not bad either
- the operating system is one of the easiest compared to many other Roland keyboards I have owned.
- it's a good basic "controller" keyboard with decent midi control. I've used it as both a lower and upper manual for the Tyros, and found the action and velocity curve "more hot." IMO it made the T5 piano and some other T5 instruments actually sound better (a different feel than when you adjust the velocity curve of the T5)
- When you play it in full keyboard mode, or hook the EA7 as the upper keyboard to a full midi controller keyboard like the RD 2000, I find it does an excellent job recognizing chords across the keyboard in piano mode, possibly even a but better than the T5 and Pa4x
- I don't use the sampler, but with some of the tools out there (e.g. the multi sampler in Logic) you could sample in the favorite sounds from another keyboard or instrument pretty easily
- one thing that others have found a bit frustrating is that Roland only has a few pads preloaded on the EA7. The Pa4x and Tyros have many great pad sounds right out of the bos, so if you like pads you need to creat them yourself
- the sound bank I think is derived from the G70 and other Roland keyboards, with some additional effects added. One criticism of the EA7 is the lack of supernatural/articulated sounds. You can easily "upgrade" this arranger into the league of T5 and PA4x (assuming you are ok with the keybed) by connecting it via midi to the Integra 7 sound module (they sometimes go on sale for $1k, so it isn't cheap). This gives you the entire sound bank of supernatural sounds, supernatural drums, and it brings the EA7 to an even higher level. Since it is a good midi controller, I sometimes turn off the local control for voice 3 (rarely used on one touch settings) and drums, and turn on those same midi external channels so I can access the supernatural voices and supernatural drums on the Integra. It's pretty easy to do, and it gives quite an impressive "live" performance. Recently my niece visited and thought I was practing with a band....it sounds that good.

Like all you guys say, none of these keyboards make you play better, and sound preference differs by player and the amplification system you have. But if I only had this as my sole arranger, I would be quite happy.

There are 2 very good EA7 videos on the web done by Bonners- one is on the voices, and the other is on the styles. Also on the web is an impressive foreign performance by some guy wearing a creepy mask- a bit strange but man he can play well. I think I read on this forum that EA7 has risen to #2 in sales, probably since it gives a good bang for the buck across the globe. It has a great collection of BOTH Western and foreign styles, more so than the stock T5 or standard Pa4x.

I hope that's helpful.

Mike

Yamaha Genos, CPG1000, Korg Pa4x, Roland RD 2000 and E-A7

#431589 - 05/10/17 05:25 PM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Mike W]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Mike

This was a nice read !!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#431590 - 05/10/17 05:31 PM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Mike excellent post thank you for all the hands on experienced review of the EA7...it really has so much to offer.

#431592 - 05/10/17 09:59 PM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Mike W]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mike W
Don,

I have been using an EA7 since it first became available. I had a BK9 and liked it a lot, but at least for me it was not easy to use for live playing if I wanted to access different sounds on the fly (more scrolling, compared to T5 and Pa4x). I also had a BK7M module which I enjoyed, but it was not easy to adjust the sounds on the fly and it had to be midied to a keyboard to play the voices. In both cases, I found the Roland styles refreshing to play, probably since I have played Yamaha since the T2 days.

I felt the EA7 was the best of both worlds since it has the ability to easily adjust sound levels of all 4 voices in real time, it plays all the styles from the BK9 and BK7M (and some other Roland arrangers), and dual screens (revised and different from the BK9) made it easy to use buttons to access things quickly. I used to think that touch screens were the answer, but I must say that the EA7 makes things pretty easy and quick to use. I think the Roland engineers really listened when they designed the layout.

Right now I have a Korg Pa4x which I tend to use when I play live solo (though I'm not a pro like many of you guys), and a Tyros 5 which I use as a upper tier connected via midi to an RD2000 on the bottom and pedalboard for home playing. The BK7M is holds up pretty well compared to both of these arrangers, especially if you consider the price.

Here's what I like best about the EA7:
- it's my first choice for practice sessions with a band or when I want to play spur of the moment as an arranger since it is light and sounds great. And it fits nicely in the trunk of a 2 seater sports car if that's important. The speakers are ok for practice, but you really need amplification for the best live sound
- it's true that the keys are shorter, but the keys are firm and for the most part play well. Not as nice as the Tyros or Korg, but not bad either
- the operating system is one of the easiest compared to many other Roland keyboards I have owned.
- it's a good basic "controller" keyboard with decent midi control. I've used it as both a lower and upper manual for the Tyros, and found the action and velocity curve "more hot." IMO it made the T5 piano and some other T5 instruments actually sound better (a different feel than when you adjust the velocity curve of the T5)
- When you play it in full keyboard mode, or hook the EA7 as the upper keyboard to a full midi controller keyboard like the RD 2000, I find it does an excellent job recognizing chords across the keyboard in piano mode, possibly even a but better than the T5 and Pa4x
- I don't use the sampler, but with some of the tools out there (e.g. the multi sampler in Logic) you could sample in the favorite sounds from another keyboard or instrument pretty easily
- one thing that others have found a bit frustrating is that Roland only has a few pads preloaded on the EA7. The Pa4x and Tyros have many great pad sounds right out of the bos, so if you like pads you need to creat them yourself
- the sound bank I think is derived from the G70 and other Roland keyboards, with some additional effects added. One criticism of the EA7 is the lack of supernatural/articulated sounds. You can easily "upgrade" this arranger into the league of T5 and PA4x (assuming you are ok with the keybed) by connecting it via midi to the Integra 7 sound module (they sometimes go on sale for $1k, so it isn't cheap). This gives you the entire sound bank of supernatural sounds, supernatural drums, and it brings the EA7 to an even higher level. Since it is a good midi controller, I sometimes turn off the local control for voice 3 (rarely used on one touch settings) and drums, and turn on those same midi external channels so I can access the supernatural voices and supernatural drums on the Integra. It's pretty easy to do, and it gives quite an impressive "live" performance. Recently my niece visited and thought I was practing with a band....it sounds that good.

Like all you guys say, none of these keyboards make you play better, and sound preference differs by player and the amplification system you have. But if I only had this as my sole arranger, I would be quite happy.

There are 2 very good EA7 videos on the web done by Bonners- one is on the voices, and the other is on the styles. Also on the web is an impressive foreign performance by some guy wearing a creepy mask- a bit strange but man he can play well. I think I read on this forum that EA7 has risen to #2 in sales, probably since it gives a good bang for the buck across the globe. It has a great collection of BOTH Western and foreign styles, more so than the stock T5 or standard Pa4x.

I hope that's helpful.

Mike

Very well written Mike...

So what they need to do is add the keyboard of the RD/2000 and/or G70 (best keyfeel i ever played) the sounds of the Integra 7 and we would be ready to roll?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#431601 - 05/11/17 05:33 AM Re: So EXCITED About the Roland EA7 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

When I played Fran's EA7 I remember saying to myself wow all these buttons & sliders are really amazing at what can be done in real time.....the layout is expertly thought outfor the perfroming musician. I must return and spend some more time with it just to see what I missed.....breakfast is on me Fran ;-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online