SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#430536 - 04/08/17 02:28 PM Another venue hit by BMI
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Here's a nice small place here in Bluffton SC which occasionally has music. Tony Monoco did a last minute gig here last year as he was in the area and is friends with the resident jazz guitar player Howard Paul. I was there and he totally blew us away.
But now this !
http://www.peacefulhenrys.com/events

I don't if it means he will just cancel Karaoke (no loss in my book ) or everything.
I just heard last night that Tony was due to come back so that's why I looked up the Website.

Edited by Bill Lewis (04/08/17 02:33 PM)

#430537 - 04/08/17 05:19 PM Re: Another venue hit by BMI [Re: Bill Lewis]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
This brings back memories when I did a duo with sax and electric guitar. For a cocktail hour he would switch to flute and I would use my classical guitar.

Good old days, John

#430694 - 04/13/17 09:56 AM Re: Another venue hit by BMI [Re: bruno123]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Nice combination. I've done that many times....at a church, for a while.

R.

#430713 - 04/13/17 08:05 PM Re: Another venue hit by BMI [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
The point that is being missed is that the place is paying a licensing fee to BMI, but now BMI wants MORE because of the 'karaoke' thing ... ?!? ...

Well, maybe they are trying to stop every singer wannabe from killing good music ... wink

#430717 - 04/13/17 11:05 PM Re: Another venue hit by BMI [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
The point that is being missed is that the place is paying a licensing fee to BMI, but now BMI wants MORE because of the 'karaoke' thing ... ?!? ...

Well, maybe they are trying to stop every singer wannabe from killing good music ... wink

That makes no sense when they already paying a fee. It should cover both live music and singers singing to a backing track. BMI are just getting greedy by trying to distinguish between the 2.

#430748 - 04/14/17 09:59 AM Re: Another venue hit by BMI [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
ASCAP, the big one, has threatened to shut down the national Electronics show unless all participants pay a licensing fee for every time a stereo or TV was demonstrated.

I understand paying writers and performers for the public use of their material; I just Don't understand how the hell the formula works.

As a practical matter, there is a list of charges for each venue, based on number of seats, number of hours of live music, number of musicians, occupancy rate...lots of variables. And, everything is negotiable. I know club-owners paying half what someone with a similar place does.

Reps are overweight gangsters.

It's a sad part of the business. In really busy places; usually restaurants, I tell owners not to put my name in the paper in a section called the "Weekender", which carries the listing of all live music venues.

That worked for years, until a little guy who subbed for me called a placed his name in the paper himself. That was over 10 years ago, and the $7700.00 fee is due same time every year.

Recently, an owner with three nice places just had enough and stopped 5 night music completely. Who did that help?

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (04/14/17 10:03 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online