SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#430058 - 03/23/17 11:09 PM what were your music goals back then?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I’ve been recently thinking about where I went with my music and.......where I didn’t go!

I'm curious about everyone else. What were your own goals once you realized you had a good handle on playing music?

If a Genie appeared and told you he would grant you ONE wish but that one wish would have to be “to be placed in the playing situation” that you wanted all your life but never achieved,” what would it be?

Me.......doing musical comedy shows to maybe 1,000 people at a time playing, singing, talking, telling jokes and stories, etc. Another way of saying I was always more interested in “entertaining” people rather than just playing music. Alas, too late in life to achieve my dreams now, but happy with what I DID get to do.

My alternate wish would be to have been Jerry Lee Lewis Part Two. Ever since I first heard Whole Lotta Shakin” back in the 50’s that hard working’ left hand of his and his whole pulse-pounding piano style has mesmerized me. I still listen to Jerry Lee often and particularly that song.

Your turn…….

#430069 - 03/24/17 10:54 AM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The only item on my "wish list" in music would be to take Doc's place as the bari sax player in Tower Of Power!
I could SO rock that gig!
(yes, I said gig)

#430070 - 03/24/17 12:59 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, as a teenager I wanted to be a R-n-R star ... but realistically, when I was 17 yrs of age I was teaching accordion and going to college night school ... the 'plan' was to complete college majoring in education with a minor in music ... I would then become a music teacher in a school system and also teach accordion and one day have my own music studio ... life changed and at the age of 22yrs I went into the US Army Reserves, got into IBM school, got a 9-5 in New York City, and got married ... I continued college at night for a while but that didn't last, so the music teacher/studio owner idea died a natural death ...
I've played music since I was 13yrs old, mostly in a 'general business' band for 26 years ... I played classical music - even at Carnegie Hall - and I played in a classic rock band in RI for a while which was a lot of fun ...
If a 'genie' were to grant me one musical career wish, I guess it would have been to be a vocalist in a really 'swinging' band ...
But I will not complain for a minute about the life I have had ...
I have been Blessed and I fully appreciate that ...

#430071 - 03/24/17 01:11 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Music was always a great way for an 11 year old to make money. I played 5 evenings at an Officer's Club in Fairbanks....Ladd AFB.

As I got older, playing was FUN and a chance to met (and score) with the ladies.

I had no ambition, but after business school and graduate school in communications, everything fit together...the music (commercials, sound scores, etc.), photography, film production, research...it's all a group of activities, with music being one critical element.

No planning on my part at all. No ambitions, other than to meet the girls, learn neat tunes and do great work.

R.

#430073 - 03/24/17 01:38 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I was a 12 year old kid, I knew that I wanted to be on a stage as a country/western singer and guitar player, which I later was able to do when I was in the US Navy, playing in the nite clubs and bars in many foreign countries at age 17. Hey, I was self taught, and back then if you knew 4 or 5 chords, you could perform 99 percent of the more popular country songs.

Then I got into 50s and 60s rock and roll, which I added to the country/western song list and was fairly successful. When I got out of the Navy I managed to land some weekend jobs, playing and singing in smoke-filled bars, American Legions, VFWs and animal clubs. Then I met my wife, got married and had to get a real job that would support a family. What I didn't know at the time was that music would end up being my real job a lot later in life.

It was when my mother began going to senior centers, something she did shortly after my father died, that I would be picking up my guitar and singing to those folks on a monthly basis. This was initiated by my mother, who was talking with the center's AD one day about entertainers and said "My son is a great singer and guitar player. I'll see if he would like to put on a show for the center." Well, from that point on, the rest is history. I quickly went from 1 job a month to 10 jobs a week, sometimes more. The phone rang off the hook and I rapidly got to the point where the schedule was exhausting, and I loved every minute of it. The audiences were wonderful, no drunks or cigarette smoke to contend with, but the pay was mediocre at best, about $35 for a one hour performance.

When I purchased my first arranger keyboard, I decided to raise the rates to $100 per hour and was told that would quickly be the end of my musical career. The reverse was true. Because I charged more than any of the competition, the ADs must have thought I was better, so I was hired even more than in prior years. It was about a decade ago when I raised the rate to $125 per hour, and if the older members of this forum will recall, I was told that I would lose lots of jobs - again, the reverse turned out to be true.

What would I change? Absolutely nothing! This life of music has been a magical ride through what some would consider a fantasy world. I made and saved lots of money, managed to raise a couple wonderful children, now have a grandson who plays trombone, created a modest retirement program for myself, and purchased a sailing yacht. I feel very fortunate in that I live in a part of the world where I was able to pursue a dream and turn that dream into reality. There are not many places in the world where people get this kind of opportunity, let alone be able to capitalize on it.

In many ways I wish I were physically able to return to work. I REALLY do miss being a musical entertainer and performing for all those wonderful people I got to know over the years of being on stage. Unfortunately, I am quite aware that my time on planet Earth is quite limited, therefore, I intend to make the very best of every minute I have remaining, sail to those ports over the distant horizon, where, with any kind of luck, I will get to meet up with many more members of this wonderful forum.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#430079 - 03/24/17 03:25 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My love of music started when I was 8 years old. I would sit on the floor next to the radio and listened to all the Big Bands. Never missed the Hip parade. (spelling?)

At 10 years my friend played plastic humazazoos and used a guitar. I did not know how to play it, so I used the back as a drum.

I have earned my living with Voice, Guitar, and keyboard since I was 21 years old.

My wish from the beginning has come true. It’s here now; I am still playing both instruments and singing, and I’m alive.

John C.

PS, Can’t say the same about wives. I’ve had three of them. (ouch)

#430084 - 03/24/17 06:26 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
Never missed the Hip parade. (spelling?)
John C.

John ... In those days it was the HIT parade ... nowadays it is the HIP parade ... rotfl

#430092 - 03/24/17 08:50 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: Mark79100]
musicbyallen Offline

Loc: Kissimmee Florida
I have to admit, over the years I have not been a big contributor on this forum. I have been a follower for over 15 years but just didn't have much to say.

But this post got me thinking.

When I went into high school I had no idea what I wanted to major in. I had been taking lessons in drums and piano since grade school and loved music but had been told that I wasn't "college material". I only knew that I loved music.

My father pushed me into the vocational agriculture program. I knew it wasn't for me but I gave in.

As a senior I decided to take an audition at the Navy unit band located in Boston Mass. I passed and was guaranteed the Navy School of Music in Little Creek Va.(this was in 1966 and the Navy had over 150 unit bands stationed around the world.)

After graduation I was assigned to the Commander Amphibious Force Atlantic Fleet.(on the other side of the base)

Long story short, I spent 4 years as percussionist in the Navy. G.I. bill paid for music degree in college.Three years in a Show Band on the road and last 25 years in Florida playing mobile home parks and fraternal clubs and loving every minute of it. I didn't make a financial killing but I still enjoy every minute of it. The songs seem to never get old.

I'm hoping to get another seven or eight years out of it.

Thanks for enduring my ramble, Allen

#430094 - 03/24/17 09:31 PM Re: what were your music goals back then? [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By bruno123
I have earned my living with (music) since I was 21 years old.

Me too, John. It's been a wonderful journey for the many years it WAS a wonderful journey. Now it seems to be more of a challenge. But I DO cherish those many wonder years.

Around that time, I had a rock solid office job in a rock solid corporation with a rock solid future and going to school at night studying psychology. One day, upon seeing the first ever drum machine in the music store window, I gave it all up and dived headfirst into music as a OMB. But I have to eat my words now! Those words were "music will always be a treasured and essential commodity to people. If the economy takes a downturn, people will turn to music for comfort. I was wrong...it was labeled "economically superfluous" and was the first thing to go...even before junk food"

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online