SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#429335 - 02/26/17 03:45 PM Re: Mics: Headworn vs. handheld [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Extreme compression is too unnatural in a live setting, and subtle compression wouldn't work the peaks like I'd need. If you're a smooth singer with little change in volume and expression, it's not much of an issue, but I go from whispers to shouts, and I need more control. It's just my opinion, but I really don't like the visual of a headset on stage ... unless it was one of the teeny, hidden broadway styles that we used in my kids' musical stage productions.
like this one:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...PvOAaAi6o8P8HAQ

#429336 - 02/26/17 05:57 PM Re: Mics: Headworn vs. handheld [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I recorded this laid back song using the Crown CM-311A, and I seriously doubt that Garth is using anything differently than I am, though he has a full crew and in my case, it's just me at the controls. https://app.box.com/s/mhs7lgmkzxwnmik557ol2ere7wbuyzqu

I don't know about extreme compression, probably because I never used it. However, I don't scream into the mic and pull it away (proximity effect) because I cannot hit the high notes, which I've seen on so many occasions during the past 60 years on stage. One of the very first things I learned from my vocal instructor at Harford Community College, who was an accomplished jazz singer, was vocal/voice control. She was a master of this technique and regarded as among the top jazz singers in the Baltimore/Washington metro area.

Now, I will be the first to admit that I have a relatively soft, smooth voice, and for me, vocal/voice control was very easy. Additionally, I had some training as a newscaster, which also made utilizing vocal/voice control very easy to master. AS a newscaster, you needed to place a lot of emphasis on certain words and phrases in order to make the news story more exciting and interesting - just the same as you would do with many songs. This led to bigger and better things for me when I managed to land several jobs doing voice overs for automotive commercials during the ensuing years. No proximity effects here, just vocal/voice control to get the point across to the audience.

Some folks are comfortable with a headset mic, and some are not. Some can make it work and some cannot. Use whatever works best for you.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online