SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#427436 - 11/01/16 01:57 PM Just how mean can one get?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I showed this to my wife, who as a retired mental health provider and a lifetime advocate for the mentally impaired, and it brought her to tears. So I say again, how can people be so mean and full of hate.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/earl...getting-mugged/

chas

#427443 - 11/01/16 10:43 PM Re: Just how mean can one get? [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
It is unbelievable. Not only because this should never have happened but also that charges of assault are not being made by police. So very sad. I do hope he is able to get over it in time.

#427455 - 11/02/16 08:50 AM Re: Just how mean can one get? [Re: Nigel]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Thank goodness there are people like Chas who have the B***S to stand up in situations like this.

I am in the fight of my life with Child Protective Services in Louisville, Ky. The granddaughter of my long-time music associate, George, is a beautiful 15 year old girl, with a 61 IQ and severe type 1 diabetes; so severe that she has been in a diabetic coma 5 times in the last 3 years.

Mom, who is also mentally challenged, has lost this child to the foster care program twice. The first time, she was charged with abuse and neglect. She (the child) was returned after 18 months when the numbers (sugar) she got were far better than the ones at the foster care mom's house. I had to hire a lawyer to have the situation resolved and the child sent home. This time, she (mom) isn't charged with abuse or neglect, but the implication is, she isn't smart enough to do all he measurements, carb counts, etc. required. She (the daughter) is currently in foster care, and her numbers are out of control. The system has no idea what they're doing, and I'm going to have to sue the state to make the corrections necessary to keep this child alive.

The reality is, this child has been caught stealing candy and sweets at every school she has attended, at Kroger, Dollar Tree and many other stores, at daycare; even at a state sponsored diabetes camp I paid for. It is literally impossible for a working mom to check everything the child does 24 hours a day, and that's what it takes to keep her out of the hospital.

Subsequently, I'm paying for braces for the child (and her mother). The lady who runs the University dental program lost a daughter to this dreaded disease. She (the daughter) was diagnosed at 10 (so was my little sweetheart), was in the hospital too many times to count, was caught stealing sweets her whole life (even at the dental school, where mom worked)and died at age 28 (8 years ago) blind and on dialysis.

Thing is, this mom NEVER lost her child to the Child Protective System and was never charged with neglect or abuse. She (the daughter) never went into the foster program. Sadly, that's because she (the mom) is a graduate school educated, mid-level manager and a white lady.

Jasmine's mom is a 70 IQ part-time employee at minimum wage African American woman.

Sadly, some things NEVER change.

Keep bearing the torch, Chas. I'll proudly be right by your side.

Your friend,

Russ

PS: The real tragedy is, the system is not looking at the real problem here. Without serious control of her activities when she is not home...if her access to sweets is not completely blocked, this child will not survive.

Edited by captain Russ (11/02/16 09:03 AM)

#427469 - 11/02/16 12:24 PM Re: Just how mean can one get? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I'm always heartened by the fact that people from such diverse backgrounds are just as appalled by these things as I am.

chas

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online