SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426264 - 09/17/16 04:17 PM New musician in the Diamond family
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

Day 2 with the trombone, he has the lip and wind volume, now comes the hard part, learning to read music and learning to play it. Sure hope is does better than his granddad did when it comes to reading music. smile

Cheers,

Gary (The happy, retired, gramps)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#426276 - 09/18/16 02:11 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Just tell him to use his right thumb and forefinger on the slide. The horn is supported by his left hand and shoulder.

#426277 - 09/18/16 02:24 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: Bernie9]
Bachus Offline

Keyboardds, help understanding and reading music a lot...

OVerhere in Holland at schools they teach kids reading and understanding music with a keyboard, because of how its layout works.. On top of that, playing a single note on a keyboard does not require any technique..

IF they Master that, a whole world of other instruments opens up.

Try giving the kid a small keyboard first, it will make starting out a whole lot easier, and keep them more interested as they yield faster results.

Just saying....

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426279 - 09/18/16 03:37 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: Bachus]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
The world in which we all live would be so much better if everyone played a musical instrument.

That would be the best religion of all.

#426289 - 09/18/16 09:26 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Bernie. My daughter has already signed him up for lessons at the local music store. They have some great instructors there.

Bachus, I offered him my old PSR-3000, but he really has no interest in learning how to play the keyboard at all. Hopefully, he'll do fine with the trombone.

Mockie, you are absolutely correct in your assessment.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#426291 - 09/18/16 09:43 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Gary,
Make sure he's ready to sit in when I get down there in February!

#426295 - 09/18/16 10:15 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks Bernie. My daughter has already signed him up for lessons at the local music store. They have some great instructors there.

Bachus, I offered him my old PSR-3000, but he really has no interest in learning how to play the keyboard at all. Hopefully, he'll do fine with the trombone.

Mockie, you are absolutely correct in your assessment.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Lovely gesture...

But at that age, they should follow their feeeling, so i guess if trombone is it, then it is definately trombone...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426296 - 09/18/16 11:31 AM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Funny how people are different. I played trombone for 12 yrs, but really wanted to learn piano. I took a couple of lessons as a child, but the teacher kept tweaking my cheek and hitting my knuckles with a ruler. I had enough of that shit and quit. I was the loser(for a while).

#426298 - 09/18/16 12:16 PM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
That's awesome! Show him some videos of guys like Tommy Dorsey, JJ Johnson, and Trombone Shorty. Take him to any shows you can that may feature trombone. The military concert bands and big bands are always touring as well as some "ghost" big bands like Glenn Miller, Duke Elington, and Count Baisie. Also many colleges have outstanding bands that perform. A little inspiration can go a long way!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#426300 - 09/18/16 01:22 PM Re: New musician in the Diamond family [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Paul, I will be taking him to the next Dorsey Brothers concert at Harford Community College next spring. I think it could be a great inspiration for him.

Dave, I hope he's ready by then. He's a very talented young man, so there's a good chance you two could be jamming here at the Diamond Ranch. smile

Gary cool

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online