SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421143 - 05/09/16 10:54 AM Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse
Alan-Russell Offline

"Stoned Soul Picnic" is a 1968 song by Laura Nyro. The best-known version of the song was recorded by The 5th Dimension, and was the first single released from their album of the same title. It was the most successful single from that album, reaching #3 on the U.S. Pop chart and #2 on the Billboard R&B chart. I have always adored the late Laura Nyro's compositions throughout the 50's and 60's. The most challenging section to arrange here is the bridge that moves from Fm-Db major to G Major. I incorporated all 16 tracks to score this classic performed by the Fifth Dimension. Big Band + Strings BP=110 Key: F

Redid Muted Trumpet to create octave spacing between Flute and Brass Leads

Instrumentation:

Pop Horns Mellow (Lead) with Trumpet (S.Art2!)
Alto Sax (Funk) Premium and Jazzy Trumpet (Solo Improvs.)
Jazz Flute
Muted Trumpet (S.Art2!)

Romantic Strings
Pop Horns Dynamic Shake
Sax Section

Pop Piano
Electric Piano
Steel Guitar Twin 2
Electric Bass
Acoustic Drums (Live)- 2 tracks
Congas
Itopia Bells

Live View Notation edited in Sonar 3X Professional

Have a listen when time permits with your Favorite Head Gear and I welcome your comments and inquiries

https://app.box.com/s/mvuhakl49384b7jlw799u4u9157ic2ur

Alan Russell

#424412 - 08/06/16 08:08 PM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: Alan-Russell]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Alan
Very authentic. Well done.
Eddie

#424441 - 08/07/16 04:23 PM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: btweengigs]
Alan-Russell Offline

Thanks Ed!

#424837 - 08/15/16 05:11 AM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: Alan-Russell]
The Saint Offline

Loc: Sydney Australia
Nice job Alan. Very easy listening,good improvisation and voice selection.
Do not know the tune but does not matter, nice.
I struggle to make criticism, but as you asked I will repeat s point often made that many make(of me as well),just let the trumpet player breathe occasionally.

Ray :dance

P.S. If i could do such a good job, i would be quite happy.

#424913 - 08/16/16 06:16 PM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: The Saint]
Alan-Russell Offline

Thanks Ray...when it gets to the notation software, a few breathing haircuts is a word to the wise meaning the arranger. .....thanks again..

Alan Russell.

#426664 - 10/04/16 09:09 PM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: Alan-Russell]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Hi Alan
Is this where you took residence, in this Yamaha Arranger forum? Great to hear your arrangements again. Still the best orchestrations I have heard on any arranger with real professionalism. A great arranger keyboard helps.

Your 'Stoned Soul Picnic' was stunning. I heard the 5th Dimension perform at Epcot Disney World a few years back. I think at least two members were original and the band was great.

Love your song selections you decide to work on and all the effort you put into them. It is a learning experience with all the details you list. I think I'll hang in this Yamaha forum for a while.

Regards, Marcus

#427011 - 10/16/16 09:08 AM Re: Stone Soul Picnic (Tyros 5 - Midi - Multitask Asse [Re: Marcus]
Alan-Russell Offline

Marcus, I,ve landed here with a few arrangements but all of my vocal scores are being posted on my Facebook to my committed friends.

Alan Russell

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online