SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#420739 - 04/30/16 02:43 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
Torch Offline

Thanks for the info. I won't get near these Marshall speakers.I am still thinking of getting the Aiwa.
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Just wanted to warn about the Marshall consumer speakers (Woburn, Stanmore, Acton). Reviews are excellent, users are thrilled about the huge sound of the Woburn, but unfortunately there are really MANY reviews of users whose Woburn, Stanmore or Acton suddenly stopped working after about 15 months (look at the 1 star reviews on Amazon.com - on Amazon.de there's no trace of this problem, as German reviewers haven't had it for more than a year yet...). Out of question for me to consider it any more.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#421747 - 05/28/16 01:11 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: Torch]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Torch
Thanks for the info. I won't get near these Marshall speakers.I am still thinking of getting the Aiwa.

Meanwhile I saw some further video tests by Oluv (the well-known private tester on Youtube from Vienna) that clearly show that the Aiwa Exos is not extremely loud. It is slightly outperformed by the Teufel Boomster XL - and the Boomster XL is still not as loud as the Bose Sounddock 10.

Today I used my Beoplay A8 once again in the mid-to-large room in the picture (a registry-office wedding in a traditional rustic house typical of the "Münsterland" region in northern Westphalia). It filled the room with full piano & strings sound - not floor-shaking but really quite a big sound. It's amazing, it's just 4.3 kg (9 pounds)!

Attachments
16e-Burgsteinfurt.jpg

15L-BeoplayA8.jpg

Edited by rosetree (05/28/16 01:29 PM)

#421774 - 05/29/16 06:06 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

#422246 - 06/13/16 03:16 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Yesterday I conducted a maximum volume test of
- Beoplay A8
- JBL Authentics L8 (rated 120 Watts RMS and 104db SPL)
- Bose Sounddock 10
and recorded it, so you can enjoy the result.

The recording was made outside the room in which they played, with the door closed, my Olympus LS-12 recorder right behind the door. Sound source was the BK-7m at 60% volume playing a rock style.
Of the three, the JBL L8 has the lowest SPL (!), however a good bass. The Sounddock 10 is BY FAR the loudest of the three.

#422255 - 06/14/16 09:27 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

If the specs are correct, 104db SPL at 1 meter for the JBL L8 and 102db SPL at 1 meter for the Teufel Boomster XL, you can expect the AIWA EXOS-9 to be no louder than the JBL L8 in my test, as Oluv has shown in his videos that the Teufel Boomster XL already outperforms the EXOS-9. So, both Beoplay A8 and Bose Sounddock 10 seem to be the better choice if volume is important. Regarding sound quality at medium volume, I prefer Beoplay A8 and JBL L8 over the Sounddock 10, and the Boomster XL would probably be an excellent solution, too, but a terribly heavy one.

Maybe I'll do another maximum volume behind-door comparison once again between Sounddock 10 and HK Lucas Nano 300.

#422481 - 06/23/16 06:15 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I guess I'm going in the opposite direction. Today I used my new EV ZLX12p powered speaker. I want something I can use in addition to or besides my L1 Compact. It surely packs a punch, and at 30 lbs it's light and compact enough to fit in the trunk of my car. I actually bought this one used from Sam Ash and am very pleased with the bang for the buck.

#422658 - 06/28/16 03:31 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

The test HK Lucas Nano 300 against the big Bose Sounddock 10 is online now.
It's the same comparison, with the Nano 300 added at the end, using the same recording settings and scenario (recorded behind a closed door). The manual recording level used for the first 3 speakers was already too high for the Nano 300 sound, so the recording started to distort.

So, I have to admit, even the Sounddock 10 can't compete against the Nano 300. Listen yourselves.

Edited by rosetree (06/28/16 03:33 PM)

#423540 - 07/16/16 04:32 PM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I wrote some time ago that the Bose Soundtouch speakers cannot be used as a mini PA because even via cable aux-in they have a terrible delay.
Luckily, meanwhile there are several threads about this issue in the Bose user forums, as it is not only a problem for use as a keyboard monitor, but also for videos, PC games etc. So the issue has reached Bose, and I hope future models will get rid of the problem.

#423558 - 07/17/16 11:15 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Disgruntlement is boiling in the Bose user forum. Some users have now stated that even the big Soundtouch SA-5 system with a separated amplifier has got the same delay problem via aux-in. Some wanted to use it within their DJ setup and found they heard their monitoring as an echo with delay. And the Bose support center wasn't even aware of this delay.

I'd like to know why Bose obviously developed such an extreme amount of digital signal processing that it takes 500 milliseconds to process the input signal... The Sounddock 10 did a great job without these shenanigans.

Edited by rosetree (07/17/16 11:15 AM)

#423616 - 07/19/16 11:10 AM Re: My next mini PA system? [Re: ]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Has anyone tried/heard the Fugoo or Fugoo XL? These seem to get very good ratings (such as these (Below). They have a "Fugoo" and a "Fugoo XL" (larger). One feature that sounds good is that they have drivers all around (6 pr 8) so that it spreads sound around a room better, in more directions. These may not be "large gig" speakers but I wonder how they'd do for smaller more "intimate" gig/jam/party situations?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/fugoo-style-bluetooth-speaker,review-2141.html

http://www.soundguys.com/best-waterproof-bluetooth-speakers-8214/

http://www.cnet.com/products/fugoo-bluetooth-speaker/

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online