SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#421329 - 05/16/16 04:39 AM Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

#421339 - 05/16/16 09:33 AM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

The difference is not in the sound... Both sound astonnishing...

Its the ease of opperation on the Montage versus the plethora of options and tools on the Kronos..

The only performance synth out there comparable to the Montage is the Jupiter 80.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421362 - 05/16/16 03:20 PM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

How is the Jupiter 80 comparable to the Montage? I tried one in a store a while ago, and it seemed very confusing to use (to me). Also, I wasn't impressed with some of those SNA sounds, like the woodwinds, which had an artificial vibrato to them. Of course, the acoustic guitars were not my favorite, either, just like on the Integra-7.

Edited by Mikem (05/16/16 03:21 PM)

#421368 - 05/16/16 06:29 PM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
How is the Jupiter 80 comparable to the Montage? I tried one in a store a while ago, and it seemed very confusing to use (to me). Also, I wasn't impressed with some of those SNA sounds, like the woodwinds, which had an artificial vibrato to them. Of course, the acoustic guitars were not my favorite, either, just like on the Integra-7.

Above all, the Jupiter lacks the entire SRX library, and if you want to form brass sections that don't just consist of 4 SN-A tones or so, you have to use some medium-quality trumpet sections hidden among the SN-Synth sounds (the SN-Synth sections has some PCM samples, too, but their quality is about FantomX level, nothing special). I know some Jupiter 80 users who complained about the lack of good sections, as SN-A alone is only good for very small sections.
BTW, I just realized once again that the SRX 04 strings are much better than the SN-a strings, too.

#421370 - 05/16/16 08:06 PM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Thanks for answering the question, Rosetree. So basically, getting the Integra-7 is better, as far as having more (and better) sounds.

#421371 - 05/16/16 08:30 PM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

The last video should read, "Hammond", not "Rhodes". smile

#421379 - 05/17/16 05:16 AM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Thanks for answering the question, Rosetree. So basically, getting the Integra-7 is better, as far as having more (and better) sounds.

The "more" is not so important, but the "better" makes the crucial difference. If you go back to my TV music example from yesterday, in the Soundcloud description I link to my newer version from last night. Listen to how much more real the strings sound now - I replaced the SN-A strings with a full section from SRX 04.
This makes me a bit sad about Roland - after 2005 they haven't developed any orchestral sounds that really fascinate me.
In that sense I fully agree to you that the Jupiter 80 can't compete with the Montage, even if it probably has a few advantages when using the physical modeling of some sounds like trumpet.

#421389 - 05/17/16 11:14 AM Re: Korg Kronos VS Yamaha Montage Videos [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

I just listened to your newer version using SRX-04 strings, and I do hear a marked improvement in the strings. They're very realistic. smile

I, too, often think how sad it is that Roland had such good quality orchestral sounds so many years ago, and like you said, they haven't developed any better ones. I wish they had. They should record all new samples of orchestral instruments and put them in their forthcoming keyboards, or at least use them in new "SRX" expansions. With today's technology, it would sound much better.

Same thing applies to Kurzweil. They were ahead of their time 30 years ago. Imagine what they'd have now if they'd continued to evolve, instead of using/recycling their old orchestral sounds with every new keyboard.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online