SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#421039 - 05/06/16 02:11 PM First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo
Bachus Offline

first dutch Demo in wezep sign up page

2nd pinksterdag 16th of May, next week monday from 13.00 till 16.00 there is a demo of the montage by the incredible Bert Smorenberg... At Oostendorp music in Wezep..

Free sign up, and free entrance..

I allready signed up, any other synthzoners going there, we might have a chat...

Edited by Bachus (05/06/16 02:12 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#421052 - 05/06/16 07:08 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Thanks, Bachus. smile Keep us posted.

#421146 - 05/09/16 02:58 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Dat is het tweete Pingsterdag. Is dat geen feestdag in Nederland? Zind de winkeln dan geopend?

#421320 - 05/15/16 02:22 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Dat is het tweete Pingsterdag. Is dat geen feestdag in Nederland? Zind de winkeln dan geopend?

Ja stimmt, thats a holliday in the Netherlands, where most shops are opened. Ikea, Möbel, most musikshops have Demo's. Bert is at it with the Montage, where Voncken is in Eindhoven doing a Demo with T5 and S970... Probably also a Korg demo somewhere..

Sometimes living in a small country only has advantages.. I will report back tomorrow with first hand experience about the montage... Might even get some questions answer by Bert himself...

#421326 - 05/15/16 07:44 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Bachus, I'm eagerly awaiting your comments tomorrow! Have fun, and thanks for sharing. smile

P.S. If I may, can I ask you to test a Performance (pick a jazz or pop performance for example) that has up to 8 parts/arps playing at the same time? I'd like to know if it sounds good. The Motif XF can only play 4 arps at once, but the Montage up to 8. If it sounds good, I may be able to use it as an arranger.

Thanks very much for your consideration. smile

#421327 - 05/15/16 10:27 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Bachus, I'm eagerly awaiting your comments tomorrow! Have fun, and thanks for sharing. smile

P.S. If I may, can I ask you to test a Performance (pick a jazz or pop performance for example) that has up to 8 parts/arps playing at the same time? I'd like to know if it sounds good. The Motif XF can only play 4 arps at once, but the Montage up to 8. If it sounds good, I may be able to use it as an arranger.

Thanks very much for your consideration. smile

If you want to use montage as an arranger... You should be able to do so using Varranger on a tablet... I have some questions prepared to ask... But since a typical montage eperformance is max 8 tracks, there will be 8 tracks free for using with Varranger.

(I also need to find out if there will be anything available like the daw comtroll of the Motif series that allows you to program every frontscreen button as a button to controll V-arranger)

I dont know if i will be able to get my hands dirty with the Montage, after all it will be a demo by Bert..

The biggest problem in using montahe as an arranger will be the typicall styles, you would have to convert yamaha styles to arps, amd there are only 250 user arps, asuming you need atleast 5 arps/style that leaves you with not much room...

#421340 - 05/16/16 10:00 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

I never make video's but i took this ome espescially for all of you during the Bert Smorenberg Demo of the Montage in the Netherlands...

Bert confirmed that there is no DAW controll mode like on the Motif.. He also advised people that own a Motif to keep that around and use it in combination with the Montage, if they required onboard workstation features...

He also demoed the "sequencer" which is as i said before more of a scratchpad... You can record (including overdubbing) mid or audio... But not edit it.. More about this feature in the Yamaha montage reference manuall downloadable at Yamaha..

Bert also confirmed that the Montage and Tyros Other design teams where integrated into one team now... Which clearly shows by many tyros sounds that made their way into the montage.. Also in the Montages main feature(for me) the ease of use, its clear that the Tyors team has had some influence....

Ease of use and sound quallity combined with depth make this the perfect instrument for musicians that play in a band...

#421341 - 05/16/16 10:07 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Bachus Offline

Here another video after the demo where Bert takes some time to explein features.. He ends with the fact that he is allergical for arrangers when i asked him if one could use the Montage like an arranger, he actually refused to answer the question..

All in all an incredible instrument... And after this demo i am definately more interested in it... Sadly there was not time enough to get a hands on, but then as soon as both the mz-x500 as well as the montage are on display there i will travel there to get a large chunck of playingtime with them...

#421348 - 05/16/16 11:11 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Here another video after the demo where Bert takes some time to explein features.. He ends with the fact that he is allergical for arrangers when i asked him if one could use the Montage like an arranger, he actually refused to answer the question..

All in all an incredible instrument... And after this demo i am definately more interested in it... Sadly there was not time enough to get a hands on, but then as soon as both the mz-x500 as well as the montage are on display there i will travel there to get a large chunck of playingtime with them...

Thanks for asking my question directly to Bert about using the Montage as an arranger. I'm sorry if it made you look bad in his eyes! frown

Thanks very much for posting these videos!

#421349 - 05/16/16 11:37 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

I never make video's but i took this ome espescially for all of you during the Bert Smorenberg Demo of the Montage in the Netherlands...

Bert confirmed that there is no DAW controll mode like on the Motif.. He also advised people that own a Motif to keep that around and use it in combination with the Montage, if they required onboard workstation features...

He also demoed the "sequencer" which is as i said before more of a scratchpad... You can record (including overdubbing) mid or audio... But not edit it.. More about this feature in the Yamaha montage reference manuall downloadable at Yamaha..

Bert also confirmed that the Montage and Tyros Other design teams where integrated into one team now... Which clearly shows by many tyros sounds that made their way into the montage.. Also in the Montages main feature(for me) the ease of use, its clear that the Tyors team has had some influence....

Ease of use and sound quallity combined with depth make this the perfect instrument for musicians that play in a band...

I'm glad they joined forces with the Tyros sound design team. Martin Harris explained where they sampled some of the sounds (ex. cathedral pipe organ from a certain European country - I can't remember which, perhaps England. The boys' choir from Estonia, guitars from Spain, etc...) in an earlier video I posted.

I think it was a smart move that improves the overall sound palette. Some Yamaha employees also said that the sounds in the
Montage that come from the Tyros actually sound better in the Montage.

Thanks again for posting your findings. I bet you were very excited to not only see and hear the Montage, but also see Bert!

Edited by Mikem (05/16/16 11:38 AM)

#421350 - 05/16/16 11:42 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

P.S. I liked the Strings and Choir demo!

#421351 - 05/16/16 11:42 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

I'm glad they joined forces with the Tyros sound design team. Martin Harris explained where they sampled some of the sounds (ex. cathedral pipe organ from a certain European country - I can't remember which, perhaps England. The boys' choir from Estonia, guitars from Spain, etc...) in an earlier video I posted.

I think it was a smart move that improves the overall sound palette. Some Yamaha employees also said that the sounds in the
Montage that come from the Tyros actually sound better in the Montage.

Thanks again for posting your findings. I bet you were very excited to not only see and hear the Montage, but also see Bert!

The Montage has a new D/A intrface that creates a warmer sound.. However, in general warmer means more distortion, and so stepping away from clean samples.. In generall people however love this warmer pallette...

Bert is a very nice person these days much less restless then he was years ago... Taking time to explain features in detail...

#421352 - 05/16/16 11:51 AM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

You need tohear and play it yourself.. Much of the sound is pure awesomeness... Very Warm and high and...

And another good thing is, you can load a whole new setup including samples arps and everything you need in like a minute... From USB stick... This allows you to have different setups for the instrument and change them (for the gigging players) during a break...

So the 1.75 GB sample memmory is less of a hard limit then we think ... No more extreme long loading times for flash memmory, thats a huge step over all current Yamaha instruments.

#421353 - 05/16/16 12:30 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

You need tohear and play it yourself.. Much of the sound is pure awesomeness... Very Warm and high and...

And another good thing is, you can load a whole new setup including samples arps and everything you need in like a minute... From USB stick... This allows you to have different setups for the instrument and change them (for the gigging players) during a break...

So the 1.75 GB sample memmory is less of a hard limit then we think ... No more extreme long loading times for flash memmory, thats a huge step over all current Yamaha instruments.

I remember this was discussed in the German forum. I have to look it up in detail, but one thing is sure: it is not possible to use waveforms (samples) usable for voices from a USB stick. In that sense a USB stick can't work as an extension of the 1.75 GB.

#421354 - 05/16/16 12:34 PM Re: First Montage demo in the Netherlands by Bert Smo [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree

I remember this was discussed in the German forum. I have to look it up in detail, but one thing is sure: it is not possible to use waveforms (samples) usable for voices from a USB stick. In that sense a USB stick can't work as an extension of the 1.75 GB.

Thats entirely true, but this is like recovering a backup file directly from a high speed USB2 stick and downloading it into flash/usermemmory

This way you could have several USB sticks with their own backup/user file. (X7.U) for home players every fammily memeber could have their own setup...

And gigging musicians could for example at a wedding have sepperate setups for the ceremony, for the dinner, for early evening and a heavy edm version for late evening..

Now mind me, most people should have enough with 1.7 GB samples, 256 user arps, 640 user performances and some other limitations, but if you require it, there is a way around it....

Edited by Bachus (05/16/16 12:44 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online