SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#420691 - 04/29/16 08:08 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Mikem
..... its ability to play up to 8 arps in a Performance, compared to 4 on the Motif.

Mike, I have not owned, but sat down at a Motif years ago and remembered the 5 performance ARPs setup, each of which, I believe, could be selected on the fly to create backing pattern rhythm variations. I am under the impression that the 8 Montage performance "parts" are equivalent to the Motif's 5 arps where you now get 8 rather than 5 fully orchestrated rhythm patterns to choose from , e.g base, drums, guitar, + synth, strings, vox etc, and you can play those 8 apps like successive loops with seamless sound switching. So basically, you would have a wide range of pattern variations, but not the fills. And, I imagine, that if you wanted to, you could change some of those preset arps into a custom fill of your own and make that part of your 8 pattern setup. In that sense, you would have a stage keyboard with some arranger characteristics. Does that sound right to you?

#420718 - 04/30/16 05:50 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Yes, Hal, that does seem about right. However, an actual Performance consists of 4 Arps, not 5. For example, you can have Drums, Bass and Guitar arps playing for your left hand, and you can choose 1 sound for your right hand, like piano, for the melody. You can also use the right-hand sound as an arp, but then you won't have a sound to use as melody, unless you record the 4 arps first, and then play a melody over it. You also have 5 variations for every Performance, similar to the variations found on arrangers. Unfortunately, the Motif does not have Intros and Endings the way an arranger does, but you can certainly record them if you'd like.

An arranger is designed for you to just sit and play music immediately using Intros, variations, Endings, etc..... It makes it quick and easy to play any piece of music. With a Synth or Workstation, you could produce something similar, but it's a lot of work and time, hence the word "work"station. smile

A synth has features that go beyond an arranger's, which allow you to customize your music more to your liking, but in doing so, it makes it more complex and time consuming.

That's why I like the idea of having both.

One of the fun things you can do with a Motif is that you can change any of the 3 left-hand arps for any other arp. You have 7,881 arps onboard (the Montage has over 10,000!).

My wish is for keyboard manufacturers to combine both a workstation and an arranger's capabilities into one. Well, at least I can dream!

Thanks for your comments, Hal! smile

#420777 - 05/01/16 08:02 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Mikem
One of the fun things you can do with a Motif is that you can change any of the 3 left-hand arps for any other arp. You have 7,881 arps onboard (the Montage has over 10,000!).

Thanks Mike for your explanation. I think I had confused arps with performances because I remembered there being, I believe, 5 Arps at the bottom of the XF screen, and changing the rhythm patterns with that. Hal

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online