SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#420202 - 04/21/16 10:36 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: Dnj]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Donny, haven't used the mic input yet, but from what I can tell it has some basic effects you can use for mic and line input. There isn't any thing remotely related to a harmonizer though. The MZX is supposed to be able to convert Yamaha styles.., that opens up 1000's of styles for downloading in this keyboard. The registrations are what you find on a typical arranger. It even has a Freeze option. It's very easy to use, you can save them to USB. However, I'm wondering if there is a misprint in the manual or if I'm just misreading it. The manual says: 96 (4 set ups X 24 banks). However, unless I missed something, I see 8 locations per bank. Will have to check that one out.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#420203 - 04/21/16 10:42 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: Nick G]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Nick the synth sounds are really good in the MZX. That's certainly do to the Hex Layer feature. I'd give the edge to the MOXF-6.., However, it's not to say that the MZX can't compete with it (because I strongly believe it can). IMO what you'll see (hear) is that I think Yamaha has more experienced sound editors on their staff.

The MZX can produce some amazingly large sounds, but I think Casio's resources (in terms of highly skilled techs) is why Yamaha takes the edge there. Don't get me wrong.., some of the Hex Tones are really good. The tools are all there as well. Not only that.., there are synth bases that have their own dedicated "Base Synth" that's utilizes the Hex Layer Feature.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#420204 - 04/21/16 10:51 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: squeak_D
Donny, haven't used the mic input yet, but from what I can tell it has some basic effects you can use for mic and line input. There isn't any thing remotely related to a harmonizer though. The MZX is supposed to be able to convert Yamaha styles.., that opens up 1000's of styles for downloading in this keyboard. The registrations are what you find on a typical arranger. It even has a Freeze option. It's very easy to use, you can save them to USB. However, I'm wondering if there is a misprint in the manual or if I'm just misreading it. The manual says: 96 (4 set ups X 24 banks). However, unless I missed something, I see 8 locations per bank. Will have to check that one out.

Thanx Squeak...keep us informed on that registration setups are very important to a performing player and how you can navigate thru them , search for songs etc,,......good to hear it has a Mic Input also,....how is the KEYBED Feel with the piano box keys..

#420224 - 04/21/16 03:19 PM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED** [Re: squeak_D]
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Thanks for your informative review. And a good one at that!!

Dammit!! Now I have to see about finding one. 4 style variations was a big plus. My last Casio arranger still had only 2 but that was a few years ago. -charley

PS Gary.........I did have to move into a bigger house to have more room for all my toys!!! LOL

#420232 - 04/21/16 06:23 PM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED** [Re: squeak_D]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Thanks Squeak, I think this board sounds like a winner, ill be buying one asap

#420238 - 04/21/16 10:03 PM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED** [Re: squeak_D]
synerjim Offline

Loc: CA
Hi SqD,
Are the sliders works with the style parts and also with SMF parts to control track volumes?
When you can, please check how good are the mic effects for vocal enhancements.
How loud are the forward-facing speaker? Do you think it is enough for a 20-30 people audience (not an EDM situation)?
Thanks

SD90,Korg I3, KMA Liverpool,TC Helicon Play Electric, Fender Sonoran Guitar, vArranger, Bose S1 Pros, Bose L1 Compact, Aiwa Exos-9

#420254 - 04/22/16 05:41 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED** [Re: synerjim]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

have not followed the Casio threads so far so I am not sure whether you are familiar with these ( April) youtube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prvQKRoof8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd9_dA6gh7U

regards,
John

#420256 - 04/22/16 05:55 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! **UPDATED** [Re: john smies]
Dnj Offline

These were posted a while back......but nice to look at again..

#420372 - 04/24/16 07:19 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
tom moon Offline

Loc: Haddonfield, NJ, USA
Squeak, I'm reading the manual and wondering if there are changes to the 16-trk sequencer from the older arrangers CTK 7200 et al. is it fairly easy to:
build a track with an internal style pattern (for drums, say) then add instrumental tracks, and then loop the result?
integrate a sampled drum loop into a sequence?
build and call up R1, R2 and L registrations? (this seems as straightforward as previous Casios).

thanks in advance for any/all insights!

#420486 - 04/26/16 07:11 AM Re: Casio MZX-500 .., My initial thoughts! [Re: squeak_D]
AlenK Offline

Loc: Great White North
Squeak (if I may use your first handle :),

How does the drawbar organ emulation compare to other keyboards doing the same thing? I have the impression that Casio has made significant improvements over the drawbar organ emulation in the XW synths (where we last saw a full-blown implementation), especially wrt the typical associated effects like rotary speaker and distortion. But online videos haven't revealed that side of the instrument.

And when you imply that piano decays are no longer short, what past products are you comparing to? It is my understanding that this was "solved" in the PX-5S and later keyboards.

Edited by AlenK (04/26/16 07:14 AM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online