150 CFX p St Piano Piano
151 CFX mp St Piano Piano
152 CFX mf St Piano Piano
153 CFX f St Piano Piano
154 CFX ff St Piano Piano
155 CFX fff St Piano Piano
156 CFX ffff St Piano Piano
157 CFX KeyOff St Piano Piano

That means there are 9 velocity layers from ppp to ffff, which is very good. However it is striking that the other, older pianos have many, many more individual waveforms, as they are provided in stretch versus flat tuning and have separate waveforms for left, right and mono (which has never been very important for me). But unlike the older pianos, the new one has no "SW" waveforms - I think these were resonance samples for the sustain pedal...

#420480 - 04/26/16 06:24 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

These are the waveforms for the new "US strings" section:

1112 US Strings p St Strng Ensem
1113 US Strings p St Of Strng Ensem
1114 US Strings mf St Strng Ensem
1115 US Strings mf St Of Strng Ensem
1116 US Strings f St Strng Ensem
1117 US Strings f St Of Strng Ensem
1118 US Strings Sw St Strng Ensem
1119 US Strings Sw St Of Strng Ensem
1120 US Strings Spic St Strng Ensem

Like the new piano, it is again striking Yamaha used far fewer waveforms for this section compared to the older strings such as "Orchestral Strings" and "Section Strings". The waveforms are stereo, there are no separate left/right/mono waveforms, no variants like + and - (these were artificial changes in the tuning of the samples).

#420481 - 04/26/16 06:26 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Good observation, Rosetree. smile

I can't wait to try one....to see if it's worth getting, and selling my Motif XF.

What attracts me to the Montage, besides the noticeable improvement in sound, and the new sounds, is its ability to play up to 8 arps in a Performance, compared to 4 on the Motif. Maybe, I won't need to get an arranger.

From what I've read, its acoustic sounds are even better than the Tyros 5's.

#420497 - 04/26/16 11:26 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
Originally Posted By: Mikem
Good observation, Rosetree. smile

I can't wait to try one....to see if it's worth getting, and selling my Motif XF.

What attracts me to the Montage, besides the noticeable improvement in sound, and the new sounds, is its ability to play up to 8 arps in a Performance, compared to 4 on the Motif. Maybe, I won't need to get an arranger.

From what I've read, its acoustic sounds are even better than the Tyros 5's.

Hi Mike, based on the great amount of research you've already done and shared with us on the Montage, you're going to have to get it. You don't want all that great research to go to waste. I've followed your links and checked out the videos and articles and preordered the Montage 7 with unweighted keys to add to my Kronos 88 with weighted keys. Before this, I had been considering adding an Access Virus Ti2 or a Smith Prophet 12 to my K but the polyphony, 76 keys, seamless sound switching, motion sequencing, and so much more newer technology, convinced me the Montage will benefit me more. If you haven't already, be sure to sign up for the pedal bonus even if you're not ready to preorder. Thanks again for all your uptodate links. Hal

#420508 - 04/26/16 01:59 PM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Thanks, Hal!

A strong enough "want" turns into a "need". smile

The fact that the Montage has the latest and best acoustic sounds, according to both Yamaha employees who've done side-by-side comparisons, and those who've actually played it at NAMM and Musikmesse, is making my "want" turn into a "need".

However, it's more expensive than my Motif XF, plus, I also want an arranger. Two TOTL keyboards will add up to a prohibitive price for me.

I thought that maybe I can get the Montage and the PSR-S970 (MOTL). There are quite a few other alternatives right now.
Whatever I choose, I'll have to try it in person, first. The Montage is expected to arrive in June or July here in Quebec.

Canadian retailers list the Montage 6 at $4,000.00. The Montage 7 is $4,500.00, and the 8 is $5,000.00. Quite a bit more expensive than in the U.S. because of the bad Cdn. dollar at the moment.

For these prices, maybe I can get the Tyros 5. Since it's already an arranger, I won't need to buy another keyboard.

Of course, there's also the Korg Pa4x.....

I'll have to see carefully.

The Montage is very tempting, but it doesn't have a full-blown sequencer, which I want.

Anyhow, thanks for your pep-talk, but believe me, I don't need more G.A.S. (Gear acquisition Syndrome)!

Edited by Mikem (04/26/16 02:00 PM)

#420509 - 04/26/16 02:02 PM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Congratulations on your purchase!!! Have fun, and I can't wait to read your review!

#420633 - 04/28/16 10:02 AM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Hal2001 Offline

Loc: U.S.
If you're leaning toward an arranger, be sure to give adequate consideration to the Pa4x. I personally like its more live/raw (for lack of better description) sound better, and think it's physical layout is more user friendly (both subjective impressions of course). If you're keeping the Motif, then I would imagine the Tyros/PSR sound palette would be closer in character to what you already have. That may be either more or less preferable to you, depending upon how you plan to use them, if you plan to use both together. I really wanted to get a Pa4x and came incredibly close, but then got pulled in a different direction when the Montage came out. I'm intrigued by the idea of some additional randomness and sound surprises resulting via the innovative sound/motion controls that come with the new architecture. That could be inspirational in its own way.

#420675 - 04/28/16 08:54 PM Re: Data List for Yamaha Montage is Out [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

I really like the Pa4x. It does have a "live" sound, as you say. Compared to the Tyros 5, I find that many times, it sounds more realistic. I certainly am keeping it in mind. The Tyros 5 has a seemingly easier user interface, and of course, the SuperArticulation voices are great.

The Montage has a very "live" sound, and even though it's not an arranger, with 8 parts per performance, it comes close. There's something about having a synth/workstation which is more "serious" and professional than an arranger (no offense to arranger owners :)), in the sense that there seem to be more parameters to tweak, and more sonic possibilities.

Mmmm.....this will be a long decision-making process, I'm afraid.

Thanks for your input!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online