SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#420132 - 04/20/16 01:06 PM And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy..
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#420139 - 04/20/16 01:53 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Well, he is playing a 'song' that was the theme for a cowboy and Indian tv show ... wink

... and he started out as a studio musician, playing behind a whole bunch of popular artists including frank Sinatra ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrecking_Crew_%28music%29

Edited by tony mads usa (04/20/16 01:55 PM)

#420143 - 04/20/16 02:03 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Love Glen

#420267 - 04/22/16 08:56 AM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: musicforyourday]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Was n a TV show with Campbell in 1962 in Bakersfield. He had already had a mainstream hit...a song called "Turn Around, Look at Me".

He knocked my socks off, even though he was way more into entertaining and country than I was.

He earned all his fame, money and respect.

Alzheimer's is a terrible disease, and he has faced it with class and done some good, in terms of helping with understanding.

I like Glenn...a LOT!

Russ

#420282 - 04/22/16 12:08 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]

Edited by travlin'easy (04/22/16 12:13 PM)

#420283 - 04/22/16 12:27 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
On a lighter note................When I was young and single and had my first home I had a lady friend over one evening. I had a 5 disc CD player with a variety of music loaded with the tunes set to shuffle. On one of the CDs was the William Tell Overture and about the time we were in the middle of "the act" the William Tell Overture" started playing. We about stopped dead at what we were doing and laughed for about 20 minutes afterwards. ................

#420287 - 04/22/16 01:53 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... you NAUGHTY boy !!! surprised

rotfl

#420298 - 04/22/16 09:05 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

How is it no one talked about what a great vocalist/stylist he was? To me, he was a musician's musician. He could switch from genre to genre on a dime. William Tell Overture to this song below.....one of my all-time favorites....and he really milked the emotion out of this song.

The man was as comfortable playing music on stage to a huge audience as he was sitting in front of the fireplace with his family doing a quiet serenade.

And his string of hits in the 60's. The man was truly musically gifted.

But, ever since I saw the two hour documentary on his "dementia" condition, I can't help but wonder if there is a connection between his multi-faceted artistry and where he is today? Did he pay the same price that Mohammad Ali did?

Mark

Attachments
Yesterday When I Was Young - Glen Campbell.mp3 (36 downloads)

Edited by Mark79100 (04/22/16 09:09 PM)

#420344 - 04/23/16 01:54 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]

Mark, Glenn Campbell has always been among my top musical heroes. His vocals were always superb, and his musical skills were unsurpassed. When I was still performing, I had a folder in the keyboard with a dozen of his songs in it. And, I continue to discover songs he composed and performed that I never heard of, many of which are outstanding, but just never took off like some of the others.

As for his dementia, I can assure you there is no connection between his multi-faceted abilities and this horrid disease. Similar to cancer, Alzheimer's really does not discriminate - it treats everyone with the same, nasty, horrid malady. Some die faster, while others seem to linger for up to as much as 10 years, but those in the later category are few and far between. Statistically, Alzheimer's patients usually die within 6 to 8 years after being diagnosed. Currently, there are only a few drugs that can slow the progression, but those drugs have their own set of nasty side effects, which can be equally as debilitating.

Unfortunately, there also seems to be a genetic component with Alzheimer's Disease. This is not always the case, but there is a significant number of patients that had a parent contract the disease and die from it. Personally, I believe that stem cell research could probably provide a cure, but that is one of those things that is not politically correct, and likely not going to happen in our lifetime.

All the best,

Gary cool

#420354 - 04/23/16 08:43 PM Re: And you thought Glenn Campbell was a country boy.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Mark79100 Offline

Gary…….what I meant was this, and it’s something I’ve thought about for a long time. Do musical geniuses (such as Glen Campbell…..and maybe even Prince) have so much activity and overuse going on in their brains that it, the mind, eventually starts to shut down to preserve itself (dementia, Parkinson’s, etc) and in extreme cases, shut down entirely (death).

--------------------------------------------------------
Known Symptoms and Diseases of a Number of Classical European Composers

“Only in the last years has scientific evidence demonstrated that creative people are more vulnerable to depression and suicide”

“Previous psychological research has also suggested a link between creativity with depression and mood swings.”

--------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand, my own belief is that the constant activity the brain is subject to, from playing an instrument and all peripheral functions associated with making music, keeps it healthy, wealthy, alive and kicking far beyond the minds of those who don’t follow the “use it or lose it” principal.

Either way, I wouldn’t lose sleep over it, but it does make you wonder though. Is musical talent a curse or a blessing?

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online