SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#416569 - 02/11/16 11:29 PM how to work the Korg PA3x?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Good news and bad news for me. I was thinking about the news story they did on me that I posted. On a whim, I called the store where I played for another 3 years. This is a highly prestigious store where all the rich people shop (I think Gary even managed to take his boat inland right up to the parking lot). So......I was greeted with a warm reception by the Public Relations dept. I explained I used to play there years ago, and she responded with "we'd love to have you play here again." and she gave me Feb 26th.

I haven't done an arranger job in about 4 years, and I haven't done a job this important in the same 4 years. I'm not even sure how to set it up anymore.

I can cancel the appearance, but, if I do that, I will be passing up a really golden opportunity.

I need to sound my best and so I'm going to try and get the PA3x going.

You fellows who are playing yours, what's the easiest way to set up a playing situation. I don't do one song at a time.....I do medley's. Say I'm on swing style, I'll eventually end that, hit maybe the cha-cha tab and do of string of cha-cha's.

Is there anyway to just "play away" without having to go to the songbook? And without having to keep adjusting the instrument volumes every time I change a style?

I've read the initial manual, but that just tells me what everything does. In real life playing, how do YOU use your PA3x?

This job is real important because thousands of customers will be passing by me and I will have my business cards out on a table.

ALL suggestions are welcome on how to go about this. I've only got two weeks to get used to playing this beast before that gig date.

Mark

#416580 - 02/12/16 05:49 AM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
Stephenm52 Offline

I realize you are talking about not using Songbook, but what I would do and have done with my Pa3x is is set up a playlist in Songbook. The playlist number of songs can be any number you want. Make all your edits for voices etc in Songbook. Nice thing about playlist you simply tap on the screen "next" to segue into the next tune. Works very well.

Edited by Stephenm52 (02/12/16 05:54 AM)

#416585 - 02/12/16 06:25 AM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
You could set up songs in the songbook that are just generic registrations for cha-cha or swing with the sounds and volume settings that you like. Alternatively you can change the instruments and volumes for each style and then save them as custom User styles.

#416588 - 02/12/16 07:35 AM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes, what Graham said should work great for the way you want to use it. Give me a call if you wish.

#416645 - 02/12/16 08:44 PM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Thanks for the info fellows......

Steve,

So let me understand something. If I try to play the PA3x the way I play my old arranger (just hit different styles and the instrument volumes do not change)......then on the PA3x I would, every time I change a style, have to adjust the track volumes for each instrument. As it is now, every time I change a style, slider/voice 1 goes quiet and I physically have to raise it up to an audible volume. In fact, I have to do that with all the sliders. Is that what happens if you don't use songbook.

Then the answer is to use "songbook".......set up a generic patch with all the instrument volumes in line with each other? Name them something like....."1940 medium ballad" or "cha-cha version 1" or "cha-cha version 2" or "Strauss type waltz".....etc. Then I would really only need about a dozen patches? Is this correct?

#416646 - 02/12/16 08:54 PM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
You could set up songs in the songbook that are just generic registrations for cha-cha or swing with the sounds and volume settings that you like.

Praise........now is this the same as what Stephen said?

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
Alternatively you can change the instruments and volumes for each style and then save them as custom User styles.

Where/what are the custom user styles? And.....which way is it easier to go about this...."user styles" or "songbook?"

Mark

#416647 - 02/12/16 09:18 PM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Yes, what Graham said should work great for the way you want to use it. Give me a call if you wish.

Don, that's easier said than done. I still can't get through on your new #. Are you sure you paid the bill?

Mark

#416650 - 02/12/16 09:41 PM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I feel a little stupid. I've had it a couple of years and you guys know more than I do about it. What's happening with me is my time goes in so many directions that I don't have "continuity concentration" (try and say that backwards!).

i.e you really have to spend hour after hour steady for a few days to get it under your belt. I learned a lot of it a while back, but if you don't work at it every day.....you forget and have to start over.

I remember once I didn't eat for five days and on the sixth day when I tried to eat, I couldn't remember where my mouth was!

Edited by Mark79100 (02/12/16 09:59 PM)

#416684 - 02/13/16 11:21 AM Re: how to work the Korg PA3x? [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mark, I discovered the reason you couldn't get me on the phone. My phone is set to block all calls without caller I.D. Yours just says Private Caller. I have changed my settings, at least temporarily. If I get too many unwanted sales calls though, I will change it back.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online