SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#416667 - 02/13/16 04:59 AM Just a saturday morning in your LMS
Bachus Offline

I haad some time at my hands and visited a local music shop for a free cup of coffee a nice talk and a headset to play some of their instruments..

I ended up playing with the pa4x, which is a beast indeed. i noticed that when having a left hand sound and a right hand sound and no bass part running, you can use single notes in your left hand to play a basic single note basspattern/beat with the base note of the chord you are holding.. very nice feature.

also the manuall bass feature is quite nice. Just drums and bass in the left, and solo instruments in the right. Very usefull.

I also dived into some edditing of sounds, after finding that Most DNC sounds by default are set to Polyphonic play.. where i wanted a monphonic sound with legato swtiched on.. as i was trying to recreate a real sax sound.. i loved the edittabillity of the PA4x sounds, just push the sounds option and go ahead and eddit your sounds and save them under their own name under user. However i also found that most sounds are tweaked in such a way, that they sound as best as possible, and edditing most of the time leads to loosing soundquallity.

I then moved to the other interesting instrument they had on display. A Roland Fa06, lovely instrument. Yet when i plugged my headset in it immediately was clear that it sounded way less then the pa4x, something i did not expect, it also sounded way less then the integra7.. and i found someone had played with all the system wide parameters in such a way that it sounded realy frail and thin..

Luckilly Roland sound is hugely edditable, and in a few minutes i had addapted the sound to my preferences. I ended up playing with the drums and the arpeggiator, and ending up with an hour of fun. I just love tweaking arpegio´s and the Roland one seems to outshine the Yamaha arps in MOXF which are mostly based on static midi patterns.

Anyone else here loving oldfashioned arpeggiators?

in the end i need to confess, that visiting music stores and playing with the new toys out there is one of my favourite passtimes, makes me feel like that little kid in the toystore again..

Edited by Bachus (02/13/16 04:59 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#416668 - 02/13/16 05:09 AM Re: Just a saturday morning in your LMS [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Nice for you to have stores to go to with the option to play.

Here in Minnesota, options are few and far between even in the twin cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul. I have kids living there and visit from time to time.

Anyway, it's hard to find a TOTL(or MOTL for that matter)Yamaha or Korg arranger to try out in this state.

A person I know, owns the biggest Yamaha piano dealership in the state....lots of higher end pianos, Clavinovas and the like. He tends not to carry TOTL/MOTL Yamaha arrangers because it's hard to compete with the on-line stores.

I'd love to play around with a PA 4X but I would have to order one on-line to do that. I know I could send it back(Sweetwater)if I didn't like it, but I rarely do that.

Rog L

Edited by guitpic1 (02/13/16 05:17 AM)

#416676 - 02/13/16 08:21 AM Re: Just a saturday morning in your LMS [Re: Bachus]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Bachus this is the same feeling I got when I played the Roland DS 88 the sounds when not even close the FA 6 was better the the Ds 88 it seems roland is going the way of cheap on there sound qlty and the looks are good the the sound very sub par.

#416681 - 02/13/16 10:53 AM Re: Just a saturday morning in your LMS [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
and i found someone had played with all the system wide parameters in such a way that it sounded realy frail and thin..

That reminds me of a visit at the local music store in Dortmund when I wanted to test the Korg Krome. I couldn't believe what I heard - until it became clear that for some reason someone had installed the legendary M1 soundset on that Krome, so that all new programs had been overwritten...

#416682 - 02/13/16 11:11 AM Re: Just a saturday morning in your LMS [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

First thing I do in a store testing a kb is do a factory reset..always...who the heck knows what other people have done inside them...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online