SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416624 - 02/12/16 02:28 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I know you're getting tired of hearing this, but the PA4X addresses ALL of these issues!

at almost twice the price of the S970 it BETTER!!! just sayin' cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/12/16 02:33 PM)

#416626 - 02/12/16 02:46 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You guys are really beginning to sound a bit whiney about this stuff. For some strange reason, most folks don't seem to have a problem with this, including me. I really don't need an indicator light to tell me that I just pressed the foot pedal to turn on the VH, the delay is so slight that I never even noticed it until it was pointed out to me, and the OTS in the MFD, you know you can turn off the OTS link and make the changes manually. Maybe I'm just not to finicky about this stuff - but I'm old and little things like just don't bother me at all anymore. You guys are much younger. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#416627 - 02/12/16 02:52 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
You guys are really beginning to sound a bit whiney about this stuff. For some strange reason, most folks don't seem to have a problem with this, including me. I really don't need an indicator light to tell me that I just pressed the foot pedal to turn on the VH, the delay is so slight that I never even noticed it until it was pointed out to me, and the OTS in the MFD, you know you can turn off the OTS link and make the changes manually. Maybe I'm just not to finicky about this stuff - but I'm old and little things like just don't bother me at all anymore. You guys are much younger. wink

Gary cool

Gary younger has nothing to do with it, your only in your 70's wink certain things have to be addressed and fixed on yamaha arrangers for sure..simple as that with updates and redesigning new models in the future, MOTL & TOTL...if they would only listen to the players who buy these Kb's & work with them all the time they would be better off for sure,...they sound great BUT,...big feature improvements are needed and who better to voice them then us in the trenches every day..?

Edited by Dnj (02/12/16 03:15 PM)

#416628 - 02/12/16 03:02 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary, you don't use the onboard harmonizer, you use the T.C. Helicon and it DOES have a light to tell you it is one. smile

#416631 - 02/12/16 04:02 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Gary, you don't use the onboard harmonizer, you use the T.C. Helicon and it DOES have a light to tell you it is one. smile

Yeah, but I can't see it - it's under the console, so it makes no difference.

Donny, pro players/OMB entertainers make up less than 1/10 of 1-percent of the consumers. Do you really believe that the few individuals that have these concerns are going to trigger a major undertaking with any manufacturer to cater to your whims? Not a prayer! Live with it, work around it, and carry on.

Gary cool

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/12/16 04:06 PM)

#416635 - 02/12/16 04:55 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Good luck Donny. That sounded better than most VH2 I've heard but except for Korg, which has a decent processor on board, you're going to have to use an external unit to be happy. You need a harmonizer that will compliment your voice. You have a great voice. You shouldn't use a dollar store harmonizer.

If Yamaha is listening, yes I just indicated that VH2 is not acceptable to those of us who sing and want to add quality harmony to our setup. VH2 remains pretty much unchanged and is still part of your high end Tyros keyboards. That is a travesty.

If I had the money I would be playing a Tyros but you can't begin to imagine how disappointed I would be when I tried out VH2. I would be trying to get my $6000 back. As it were, I rejected the S950 because of VH2. I use an S750 and an external Digitech harmonizer. So Yamaha, if you are listening, a lot of us singing keyboard players need vocal harmony on par with the high quality sounds we get from our Yamaha keyboards. As of today, if I were to upgrade to a top of the line keyboard,it, because of the onboard TC Helicon would be the Korg PA4X not the Tyros with it's substandard vocal processor. I believe that concludes my rant!

God Bless,
Don

#416636 - 02/12/16 05:18 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Good thoughts Don... Amen!!!

#416639 - 02/12/16 06:33 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Do you really believe that the few individuals that have these concerns are going to trigger a major undertaking with any manufacturer to cater to your whims? Not a prayer! Live with it, work around it, and carry on.
Gary cool
Gary cool

Gary ... I could be wrong here, but wasn't there something you wanted to see on a Yamaha KB, and contacted Yamaha, and then were happy when the issue was corrected? ... If I am wrong then I apologize ...

Now I understand that you are a DIE-HARD Yamaha fan, and their KBs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, however, why is it that some features can be found on OTHER brands of KBs in the very same price range, and not on Yamaha? ... I think that's what frustrates people like Donny ... now there may be features on the S970 that I don't have on my Pa900, but I am not aware of them ... but if they ARE on the 970, for relatively the same price, I would want them on my Pa900 ...
It's really quite simple ... JMHO ...

#416643 - 02/12/16 06:52 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Tony, I spent lots of time communicating directly with Yamaha, and, they apparently saw my point of view from a marketing perspective, otherwise, I don't think they would have done anything. Not only did I talk with Yamaha USA, I also talked with Japan. And, at the time, I was still writing newspaper and magazine columns and doing product reviews for some major publications, which may have had a bearing on the subject, though I'm not sure about that.

Now, I've owned lots of brands of keyboards, and they all had some great features, but they all required some workarounds for some of the things I wanted to do. I never owned one that I didn't like at the time, regardless of the workarounds - Hell, I've owned lots of things that required workarounds, including cars and vans. Not every product will meet my exacting specifications, and I can live with that. No one has ever heard or read anything from me about the drawbacks of any arranger keyboard I've owned, however, I have spent a lot of time helping folks work out their problems within the limitations of their keyboard's operating system. It's something I enjoy doing, and don't ask anything in return.

As for loving Yamaha, absolutely! I love what I hear, which is the reason I purchased Yamaha, Korg, Roland, etc... I loved what I heard at the time. I also listen very carefully to every demo, and to the guys in the field that provide entertainment for the folks in my area. In most instances, the player is the big difference - not the operating system. For me, I'm not a player - instead, I'm a singer and entertainer. That's what made me successful. If I were paid for my playing skills, I would have starved to death. Most everyone on this forum is a better musician than me, and I freely admit that. Therefore, I utilize every feature an arranger keyboard has to offer in order to keep my vocals at the forefront, and make the best of my limited musical skills. So far, Yamaha has not let me down. I have two more jobs before I head into full retirement, and believe me, I will really miss being an entertainer. One thing for certain, Yamaha's many features have made me the best entertainer I could ever have dreamed of being.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (02/12/16 06:54 PM)

#416651 - 02/12/16 09:53 PM Re: Exploring Yamaha VH2 on my S970 [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
When I was using the S970 regularly, I used one of the active control knobs to switch VH on and off...works great

Rog L

Edited by guitpic1 (02/12/16 09:54 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online