SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#416433 - 02/10/16 11:35 AM To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question.
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Having a little fun here... smile

From my signature, you can see I have three keyboards....well, actually four if you consider the PSR E4xx I gave to my son who in turn gave it to his girlfriend....her daughter is using it I guess.

I toy with the idea of ordering a PA 4X, just to experience Korg and because I know it's a top notch keyboard.

If I ordered a PA 4X, that would create for me a few issues:

(1) My wife is a keyboardist familiar with our Yamahas. I couldn't fool her.

(2) The changeover from Yamaha to Korg would take a while for me.

Here's a real example of doing a changeover.

For years, I have shot Canon cameras. As a hobby business, I shot semi- professionally for newspapers, magazines and you name it. I still teach DSLR photography even though I'm gradually losing interest in photography in favor of music. I've probably spent $25k on Canon equipment...paid for with my photography.

One of my closest pro photography friends shoots Nikon. Once in a great while, we would switch cameras at shoots. He would shoot my Canon, I, his Nikon.

Although both cameras(Canon and Nkon)i gave professional results, neither of us could get used to each other's cameras. In the end, we went back to what felt comfortable and both of us produced magazine quality pictures.

Here's the thing. Sometimes I imagine Yamaha to be like Canon....slow to change and content knowing folks will buy not caring how slow those changes come....and Canon folks are happy with incremental changes but big $$$ spent....sound familiar?

I haven't switched from Canon to Nikon(yet)

But perhaps I could transition from Yamaha to Korg???

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (02/10/16 11:47 AM)

#416435 - 02/10/16 11:58 AM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

There is a big learning curve as the operating systems are much different between the two keyboards but with diligence a lot of homework I'm sure you can do it ask a lot of questions make a lot of mistakes but eventually you will get the idea good luck

#416438 - 02/10/16 02:08 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
It took me a while to convert from technics to KORG, but it was worth the time and effort ... now I find the KORG OS very easy to navigate ...
And you can get a lot of help from people here and on the KORG forums ...
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=75&sid=4edc76b4fea42f3028213cc4426f5abe

BTW ... I'm a NIKON guy myself ... NIKON FE2 SLR to NIKON D3300 DSLR ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/10/16 02:13 PM)

#416474 - 02/10/16 09:55 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

My asnwer would be try before you buy..

Go to your local dealer and see if he has got a Krog on display.. if so, sit down and play with it for a whole day.. I even know a dealer where i buy regularly that allowed me to take a demo model home for a few days to try it out and see if i liked it...

But then i realise that not everyone has some of the greatest music stores in a 60 miles range from where they live..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#416476 - 02/10/16 09:57 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sweetwater has no-questions-asked return policy. And they honor it. If you get one, I truly believe you won't want to send it back though, if you give it a fair chance.
Oh, and they will price match with most anyone, except maybe Frank smile

#416480 - 02/10/16 10:50 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
the PA4X is a nice unit for sure if it was me I would get a TYROS 5 befoe the Korg

i find the T 5 much easy to run both are great i just love the t 5 guitar screen , keybed, midi file player support ie yamahamusicsoft.com if you play any clasic music the emsamble section really great larger buttons layout larger to the eyes

lot of great things on both i prefer yamaha T5 you have T 4 That is a great unit as well I still have mine and really like it but soon will upgrade it to another T5 to leave at a gig and i travel with the other one .

#416483 - 02/11/16 02:22 AM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: Bachus]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Originally Posted By: Bachus
My asnwer would be try before you buy..

That's the best advise ever, whichever brand you decide on, you get first hand feel and a sound test, in the end you are the one that must be happy.
Me personally, I love the sounds of the Korg, especially the guitars and piano, brass; plus the styles; but hey that's just me.

Allan
taz

#416494 - 02/11/16 06:07 AM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
You' ve got plenty of Yammies. I will tell you this much, it is a Professional Keyboard....

#416508 - 02/11/16 08:49 AM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Guitpic1.........Try before you buy is the best advice no doubt it.

I had no desire to purchase a Pa3x it was on the market for about a year, then I tried one and decided it was for me. As much as I love my Tyros5-76 seems most gigs I use the Pa3x in my opinion it's a dream for live play and that's not to say the Tyros5 is not great to use for live play, right now I prefer the Pa3x. Pa4x in my future.....maybe.

Great to read about your work with photography. I'm a Canon shooter and have a small collection of lenses with a couple of L series. At this point the big question was should I move from DSLR to mirrorless? I just picked up a Fuji Xt-10 mirrorless haven't shot with it enough to make a call. But I like it's smaller size for street shooting.

#416535 - 02/11/16 01:34 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

When I grow up I want to be bow Steve ...

Edited by tony mads usa (02/11/16 01:34 PM)

#416537 - 02/11/16 01:52 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: tony mads usa]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
It took me a while to convert from technics to KORG, but it was worth the time and effort ... now I find the KORG OS very easy to navigate ...
And you can get a lot of help from people here and on the KORG forums ...
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=75&sid=4edc76b4fea42f3028213cc4426f5abe

BTW ... I'm a NIKON guy myself ... NIKON FE2 SLR to NIKON D3300 DSLR ...

Tony
I have the D5100 with a NIKON DX VR II 18-200 F3.5-5.6 AF-S.... It is more then enough for me.....

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#416540 - 02/11/16 02:17 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: rphillipchuk]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good stuff.

Always good to explore something new. If I do make the jump, I'll have to order as no one I can find in Minn carries the PA4X.

Tx all

Edited by guitpic1 (02/11/16 02:21 PM)

#416550 - 02/11/16 04:34 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

wave Tony the problem is I never grew up!! blush blush blush Just a 64 year old teenager.

#416565 - 02/11/16 07:13 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

wave Tony the problem is I never grew up!! blush blush blush Just a 64 year old teenager.

And I am a 74+ year old teenager ... bounce rocker

#416568 - 02/11/16 10:51 PM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: tony mads usa]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Stephen,
In the mid 1970's I was part of a group of photographers that started a studio. We did weddings, portraits, and sports photography. All of us shot with Hasselblad film cameras. Knowledge of lighting techniques and how to get the best shot was essential for success. I doubt any of us would foot the bill for the Blads today but that is how it was back then. The last wedding I shot cost me a fortune. After shooting the wedding I sent the film off for processing and that was the last I ever saw of it. I had to pay for the entire wedding to be redone just to get the pictures again. After that I stuck to sports and shot for newspapers - Dallas Cowboy games and later the Maveric games. The basketball games were really a challenge because from under the basket we were not allowed to shoot with a flash.

Anyway, didn't mean to steal the thread. By the way, I too have played with the idea of buying the Korg PA4X. I have had the PA1X and the PA2X Pro plus the MicroArranger and did enjoy them. Right now I am busy with my Ketron SD7 and my Tyros 4 and that is enough for now. One word of caution about the Korgs - make sure you register them with Korg. I had one of mine go bad - the motherboard went bad and it was outside the one year warranty period. Had I registered it I would have gotten a 2nd year and would have been covered.

Deane

#416581 - 02/12/16 06:01 AM Re: To try a Korg or not to try, that is the question. [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

And I am a 74+ year old teenager ... bounce rocker

I'm going to guess we have some company in that department.

Originally Posted By: hammer
Stephen,
In the mid 1970's I was part of a group of photographers that started a studio. We did weddings, portraits, and sports photography. All of us shot with Hasselblad film cameras. Knowledge of lighting techniques and how to get the best shot was essential for success. I doubt any of us would foot the bill for the Blads today but that is how it was back then. The last wedding I shot cost me a fortune. After shooting the wedding I sent the film off for processing and that was the last I ever saw of it. I had to pay for the entire wedding to be redone just to get the pictures again. After that I stuck to sports and shot for newspapers - Dallas Cowboy games and later the Maveric games. The basketball games were really a challenge because from under the basket we were not allowed to shoot with a flash.

Anyway, didn't mean to steal the thread. By the way, I too have played with the idea of buying the Korg PA4X. I have had the PA1X and the PA2X Pro plus the MicroArranger and did enjoy them. Right now I am busy with my Ketron SD7 and my Tyros 4 and that is enough for now. One word of caution about the Korgs - make sure you register them with Korg. I had one of mine go bad - the motherboard went bad and it was outside the one year warranty period. Had I registered it I would have gotten a 2nd year and would have been covered.

Deane

Deane,

Great story on your background with photography and the Hasselblads. Very cool too on the Cowboys and Mavericks. YUP, it's all about the "light" with photography.

Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you going with the SD7 and T4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online