SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#416262 - 02/08/16 12:03 PM Learning how to play Arpeggios
Dnj Offline

I started on Accordion at age 6.....and have played keyboards/organs all my life 50yrs+ but,..I am not a trained Piano player,...but I always wanted to learn how to play arpeggios on my keyboards....so I started teaching myself by watching video lessons like this one,...with enough practice eventually I think I can get better at it and incorporate this into my music when needed..

Edited by Dnj (02/08/16 12:07 PM)

#416263 - 02/08/16 12:39 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny

Only advice I can give, if you want it, is to practice on a weighted keyboard. It will help greatly. I remember from my lessons it was do a Major scale three then four octaves, then minor, then relative minor, etc. Then go to the arrpeggios, a 6th, ^7 then 7, then minor, diminished. Run thru 12 keys. Even if you never play a song in Db it will help with other keys. Do one hand at a time slowly and then try two. Use a metronome if needed to stay slow and steady. Sounds like a lot but once you get it into your muscle memory your technique will sky rocket and speed will come naturally.
Go for it and good luck.
Pretty soon you'll add sparkly jackets, big diamond rings and candleabras to your show.

#416267 - 02/08/16 02:17 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Bill,....
Appreciate the support....
I've learned alot of playing tricks thru the years adding arpeggios will be a nice touch when playing Pianos. cool2

Edited by Dnj (02/08/16 02:34 PM)

#416269 - 02/08/16 02:50 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
If you copy the URL and go to the original youtube video, you will see that this guy has some pretty interesting vids ...
Thanks for posting this, Donny ...

#416270 - 02/08/16 03:16 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: tony mads usa]
Torch Offline

I also suggest that you check into Hanon. No need to go through the whole thing, but I think it's No 39 or so that has besides scales arpeggios of Major, minor, diminished, dominant 7th and so forth. I was classically trained on the piano. The teacher made me practice every number in Hanon in four different ways. Pretty boring, but fortunately the scales and arpeggios were the most fun & practical part. I also suggest practicing on a 76 or 88 key not just for strethening but for running a wider range of arrpegios. When I picked up the accordion about 30 years ago, my fingers were too "strong" coming from a piano background and I was sloppy on the treble side. Two entirely different keyboard actions require different technics and approaches naturally. I feel a similar thing all the time when I go from my Korg Microkey 37 & 61 controller to the regular digital piano, but you mind quickly adjusts itself.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#416271 - 02/08/16 03:20 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
If you copy the URL and go to the original youtube video, you will see that this guy has some pretty interesting vids ...
Thanks for posting this, Donny ...

Tony your welcome.....I'm enjoying learning a new Technic... keys

#416279 - 02/08/16 05:57 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj

I started on Accordion at age 6.....and have played keyboards/organs all my life 50yrs+ but,..I am not a trained Piano player,...but I always wanted to learn how to play arpeggios on my keyboards....so I started teaching myself by watching video lessons like this one,...with enough practice eventually I think I can get better at it and incorporate this into my music when needed..

Thanks Donny smile
I needed that wink
Eric

#416283 - 02/08/16 07:21 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Eric.... Enjoy...

Hey we are talking music that's a good thing it's contagious lol!

#416351 - 02/09/16 01:11 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
rocker keys

#416377 - 02/09/16 10:46 PM Re: Learning how to play Arpeggios [Re: Dnj]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I always had good fingering, and knew my scales, arpeggios, etc but never really played them fluently. Didn’t need to when you’re playing things like Hello, Dolly back in those days.

One day, in the 80’s, my accordion friend in England introduced me to French Musette music. I loved it from day one! But it’s all arpeggio’s, scales, and broken chords. The arpeggio’s were the hardest (to play them cleanly). But I really loved that music, and was determined to learn to play it correctly.

It was painfully slow putting one finger down at a time, and then the next finger (in the arpeggio). Then you had to do that in each scale. Then the broken chords, etc. I bought the Musette “fake book” (300 songs) and did that procedure with each song in the book. I was determined to play Musette. It took 3-6 months, but when I got it, I “got it.”

To be honest, I had the time in those days. If I had to do that now, it would be impossible to concentrate.

But the reward for me is incredible. I play a lot of musette on both the accordion and the piano. I can now play clean arpeggio’s literally with my eyes closed.

I don’t expect anyone to repeat what I did. I just happened to be lucky to have the time back in those days when there was no technology to distract you. Just you and your music.

Forgot to say, Hanon was never for me. It's hard to get interested in playing scales and runs by themselves. It's well known in musical circles, that when you want to learn all this stuff.......learn them in the context of songs. The brain absorbs them better that way. Even if you don't like Musette, it's really great practice!

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online