SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#416374 - 02/09/16 07:53 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Thanks a lot, 124!

Originally Posted By: Mikem

On my Motif XF, I have a trumpet called "Trumpet Vibrato" which I really like. You must have the same on your MoXF. Maybe, you'd like using it more.

Absolutely, that's one of my favorites! I used that e.g. for my latest Bert Kaempfert tune on MoXF, Happy Trumpeter.

Yes, I've heard it! I don't care what anyone thinks, I love Bert Kaempfert! Your renditions of his songs capture that 60's sound. Well done. smile

#416375 - 02/09/16 08:48 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Mikem]
Torch Offline

Thanks for the treat. This deeptively simple and yet beautiful Russian tune is, I have noticed, played in a Jazz swing style a lot. Your rention is perect for today. Mardi Gras. At my gig today I was asked to play a lot of jazz. I am not a "jazzer" per se but I played a lot of tunes that would fit for the occasion.

I enjoy listening to and playing well known simple tunes like this tastefully "rearrananged." I bet there are tens of hundreds of Youtube videos of this tune, but here are two "straight" versions.
http://tvpot.daum.net/v/QCyCKQI35m0$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48oO9Mh2DDc
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#416378 - 02/09/16 11:03 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA

Rosetree.....I'd really like to hear what you did with that song. No one has tackled Midnight in Moscow except for Kenny Ball. To be honest, mostly I'd like to hear the Integra.

But........I can't download from the site you posted. It doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Mark

#416382 - 02/10/16 01:12 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Rosetree.....I'd really like to hear what you did with that song. No one has tackled Midnight in Moscow except for Kenny Ball. To be honest, mostly I'd like to hear the Integra.

But........I can't download from the site you posted. It doesn't work for me. Any suggestions?

Mark

Clear your browser history, cache and temporary files then restart your browser to see if this solves the problem.

If this fails add soundcloud to your safe sites list and try that.

If still no luck try another browser, or if you are using a phone or tablet download the soundcloud app.

Hope this helps

Bill

#416396 - 02/10/16 06:09 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mark79100

Mark

In case you have an older version of the Internet Explorer, Soundcloud doesn't work with it, I think you need version 10 or 11. On my iPad and Windows Phone the link works, too. Usually the Firefox/Mozilla works without problems, too.
BTW, it is to be played directly on the site with the play button, not for download.
You may also try the general link and then go to 'tracks':
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree

But I'm going to replace the audio file with an improved one maybe tonight.

Edited by rosetree (02/10/16 06:17 AM)

#416397 - 02/10/16 06:29 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Why not try https://www.box.com/home/

I find it easy to upload and share songs using it...

Edited by Dnj (02/10/16 06:30 AM)

#416398 - 02/10/16 06:38 AM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Why not try https://www.box.com/home/

I find it easy to upload and share songs using it...

I might try that, too, but Soundcloud is a very popular platform for musicians that has emerged during the past years. Meanwhile I have 42 followers there and I am following others I know, too. I also use it to embed the tracks in my website.

#416445 - 02/10/16 02:40 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

Note: Also in memory of late Synthzone user "Dreamer".

rosetree ... you did a nice job on this tune, especially considering the limited amount of time you worked on it ...

Could you explain your 'dedication' to "Dreamer" ? I had the very good fortune of meeting him and spending all too little time with him in Rome ... we then kept an e-mail relationship going until his very untimely passing ...
I am fortunate to have a CD of his recordings ...
He was truly a fine musician and a GENTLEman ...

#416453 - 02/10/16 04:51 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Note: Also in memory of late Synthzone user "Dreamer".

rosetree ... you did a nice job on this tune, especially considering the limited amount of time you worked on it ...

Could you explain your 'dedication' to "Dreamer" ? I had the very good fortune of meeting him and spending all too little time with him in Rome ... we then kept an e-mail relationship going until his very untimely passing ...
I am fortunate to have a CD of his recordings ...
He was truly a fine musician and a GENTLEman ...

I only knew him from this forum, but I remember so well when we both discussed "Midnight in Moscow", as I had played some bars of it in a BK-7m demo, and he recognized that it must be derived from the Kenny Ball version. We exchanged a few posts about that, I mentioned that my father had it on one of his old records. So I was shocked later when I heard he had passed away, and I always connect him to the tune now.

P.S.: EDITED VERSION COMING UP...

Edited by rosetree (02/10/16 05:14 PM)

#416456 - 02/10/16 05:24 PM Re: Midnight in Moscow Dixie - Lukewarm about SN-A [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

So I've replaced the original file. Still much left to be improved, but:
- cleaned up the mix
- bass plays calmer pattern now
- second key shift before last verse with added trombone glissando (here it's a SRX 06 trombone).
So the version has more dynamic development now.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/midnight-in-moscow-dixieland-on-roland-integra-7

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online