SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#416065 - 02/04/16 09:39 PM my musical history in 855 words
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
In writing a comment to Rico tonight, it reminded me of a newspaper article a reporter did on me a few years back. She heard me playing the accordion somewhere and thought it was "novel." So she interviewed me for a "human interest story." I saved a copy of it and thought I would share it with you.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well-Traveled Musician Makes Good Music and Conversation

Accordionist/pianist/vocalist/arranger player shares insights from years of making music around the globe

Mark, born and raised in Denville, learned to play the accordion at the young age of ten, after being hit by a car. “I broke my arm but otherwise I was all right,” he recalls. “With the $1,200 settlement (a lot of money at that time) my father, having learned of a new accordion studio recently opened, bought me an accordion and started me on formal music lessons. With that basic music knowledge I also became proficient at other keyboard instruments. “

In his early twenties, Mark left for Europe. “In the beginning I played in the streets of London with an open case in front of me. Everyone loves music in Europe so I played night and day, enjoying every moment,” narrates Mark. From his “street” earnings he regularly bought new music equipment to continue his advancement as he started playing in restaurants, East and West End pubs, and the working men’s clubs up in the North and in Liverpool.” In between, he traveled around Europe and played French musette music in the streets of Paris, romantic songs in Italy, Paso Dobles in Barcelona where he also lived for a few months, and a lot of Bierkellar music in Germany. “In London, I met a guitarist who introduced me to the German beer halls and I just loved that because the music was exciting.......dynamic. They listen a lot to vibrant marches and melodic Strauss waltzes.......music Heaven to me.”

After ten years playing in Europe, he decided to come back home to the US to start a new career here. “When I got back I thought about the best way to do that because know one knew me” says Mark. He got the bright idea of calling up a major shopping mall and offered to play there free. “I called them up and said I’d like to perform in the aisle. If they didn’t like it, I’d pack up. But if they did like it, I’ll stay the rest of the day. Well, they enjoyed the music so much I was there for ten years,” he delightedly recalls. Through that gig, he met a lot of important people and was able to get numerous other engagements and kick-start his music career again.

“I was lucky because, with music technology constantly advancing, I was able to go it alone as a one-man-band,” adds Mark. “I stopped working in a band when I was eighteen because the fellows were difficult to get along with (as in most bands). Everyone wanted to do their own thing. The new music equipment enabled me to become a one-man-band and still sound like a full orchestra.”

Mark says he was lucky enough to do nothing but play music full time. “God has always been good to me. I was given music talent and recognized it at an early age. I embraced that talent, nurtured it, learned my craft and learned how to apply it to audiences. I studied vigorously. I “picked up the ball and ran with it!”

Acting with a Christian mindset, he says he never really looked at his music solely as a means to earn money. Instead, he considers it a service to people. “You affect everyone greatly with music. I learned that by tuning in to my audience as I play. It’s an engaging experience. I always felt I had a service to do musically, and I wondered “how can I help people through it? How can I make people’s lives more harmonious? What can I bring into this person’s life? When on stage, I’d be watching folks and saying: “God, direct my performance so we can bring joy to these people.” He attests that is how he’s been making music all his life.......viewing it as both entertaining and therapeutic.

Mark performs as a pianist, vocalist, accordionist, and one-man-band. He even works as a disc jockey which he sees as another way to reach people with music. He performs for concerts, shopping malls, stores, corporations, libraries, senior citizen locations, etc. He adds that much of his satisfaction comes from playing for seniors. They are his favorite audience, nowadays, because they have the time to sit down, listen and really appreciate music, unlike the younger, busier generation. The music is important to them because each song triggers a memory.

“Many people have said to me over the years, "I wish I could do what you do (what they would like to do instead of their own job." I have no answer to that other than to say to them “decide what it is you like doing” and proceed to invest the hours needed in studying that craft or vocation.” That’s basically what I did. The real talent comes not in being good at something, but in having enough dedication and perseverance to pursue your goals.

"My motto has always been “good music and plenty of it.” I believe that whatever you do, you can’t go wrong with that formula. It’s what always worked for me."

#416067 - 02/04/16 10:18 PM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nice write-up and very interesting career, Mark! Thanks for sharing that.

#416079 - 02/05/16 07:46 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ditto!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#416080 - 02/05/16 07:50 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
Steve A Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Sweet....I like the dual look at your gift and how it is also a service to people. Can't hide the gift...

#416082 - 02/05/16 07:57 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Interesting article and versatile experience! Never made the experience of playing in the streets. Haven't tried shopping malls either - there's one mall I know, in Essen, that has a grand piano, otherwise it's rare in my region.

#416083 - 02/05/16 08:01 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The very first time I saw the band Alabama live was in a shopping mall in Bel Air, Maryland when they were celebrating the grand opening of the mall. The place was packed, TV cameras everywhere, including the one I was manning for Cable 15 TV, a local station where I produced three shows at the time. After that, nearly every mall in the area decided they needed music, and until recent years, they all had OMB entertainers. It was really neat back then.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#416086 - 02/05/16 08:27 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
MANY years ago, I did some work for a music store, and would take organs to the malls, set up and play and sell them. It worked pretty well too. I have played special events at malls, but not in a long time. I liked it!

#416105 - 02/05/16 11:33 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: DonM]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Nice story Mark.

I just "HAVE" to comment about "Gods Gift".

Really?? eek And we play arrangers and accordions. Maybe a gods gift when it comes to Mozart, or Bach, etc... Or even Frank Sinatra, or Bob Marley , even ACDC guys. Or Mile Davis,Louis Armstrong,Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. There are too many to mention.

I think us playing here and saying how it's a Gods gift is slap in the face to God. Maybe we should respect it a little bit more before believing in it .
But that is just me thinking out loud. And I am usually misunderstood.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#416114 - 02/05/16 04:49 PM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark,
Most stories are about how I became a musician are kinda blaa. Your story brings the romance that all musicians deserve; good or bad. Another reason for liking your story is that it brought me back to my music journey.

The journey of a musician is not just a man and his instrument; it is a man his instrument and his personality, who he really is. The way he sets up, the instrument he is using, the songs he plays, and how he expresses that music.

Don’t mean to get to gooie here but this is how the story touched me. It was about Mark and it was also about me.

Thank you Mark, John C.

#416120 - 02/05/16 10:01 PM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: mirza]
KORG80 Offline

Why are we any less in the eyes of God than any of the talents you referenced? We are all unique in the way we express and interpret music. I don't put myself on par with any of the great musicians but I know whatever musical abilities I have or will develop, definitely are a gift of God. If someone told me, 30 years ago that I would be singing and playing guitar every week in church and using my keyboard to write and record songs that honour God,I would have said they were crazy. But that's what I do and it's no coincidence. Mark is spot on with his belief that he has been endowed with a gift. Don't take issue with his belief.

God Bless,
Don

#416127 - 02/06/16 03:21 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: KORG80]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Reflecting
I had many friends over the years. The ones that stand out were musicians. They were more sensitive, had more humor, and were on the most part, easy to be with.
Most musicians seemed to be out from the typical way of life. I remember leaving my group for six months; Saturday evenings we would play cards. Sometimes we went to the movies surrounded by hordes of people. I said to myself; is this what people do on weekends?

We are a special breed with special gifts. Where our gifts came from is based on our beliefs. No one is right and no one is wrong; it is what we have decided to believe, and everyone has that right.

John C.

#416131 - 02/06/16 05:07 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: bruno123
No one is right and no one is wrong; it is what we have decided to believe, and everyone has that right.

John C.

You are SO right, John. It's when we try to make OUR truth the UNIVERSAL truth that we get into trouble, that's why I think we should leave our religious beliefs at home when we visit a secular forum. JMO.

chas

#416133 - 02/06/16 05:29 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: cgiles]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Originally Posted By: bruno123
No one is right and no one is wrong; it is what we have decided to believe, and everyone has that right.

John C.

You are SO right, John. It's when we try to make OUR truth the UNIVERSAL truth that we get into trouble, that's why I think we should leave our religious beliefs at home when we visit a secular forum. JMO.

chas

Don't understand that. Where did Mark say his truth was the universal truth when he believes that a gift was given to him by God? You demand that a religious person mustn't mention God in reference to him/her personally. Guess you didn't understand Bruno correctly: "Everyone has the right". Don't try to make YOUR truth the universal truth.

Of course, believing that a gift was received from God mustn't lead to an attitude of being particularly "elected" and superior to others - that would be a total misinterpretation of Christian religion. It's just the view that every single human being has been given something special from God.

Edited by rosetree (02/06/16 05:33 AM)

#416142 - 02/06/16 07:17 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: ]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree

Don't understand that. Where did Mark say his truth was the universal truth when he believes that a gift was given to him by God? You demand that a religious person mustn't mention God in reference to him/her personally. Guess you didn't understand Bruno correctly: "Everyone has the right". Don't try to make YOUR truth the universal truth.

Wow! PLEASE go back and read my post again. First of all, I haven't DEMANDED anything, but your post DOES make a good case for my OPINION that the forum is probably best served if we leave religion out of it. In fact, MOST forums include that provision as part of the rules (and for exactly this reason). Besides, that is what Nigel provided THE BAR for.

chas

#416144 - 02/06/16 07:28 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Again you Are demanding things, and it sounds quite aggressive. Good bye, I'm out of here.

#416145 - 02/06/16 07:42 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

If my last two posts offended someone (other than Rosetree), please speak up and let me know HOW and what specific thing I said that would send someone off the deep end, 'cause I must be missing something. I've seen some pretty cringe-worthy posts here from time to time, yet they didn't send anyone screaming into the night, so I have to assume that it's ME and not the post that is driving this.

chas

#416147 - 02/06/16 08:36 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

I don't feel offended,but as I said, I won't continue this here, but back home I will start a new thread in THE BAR about religious freedom and freedom of speech.

#416149 - 02/06/16 08:48 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
cgiles Offline

Good move. I will enjoy participating. BTW, I don't think 'free speech' applies on a PRIVATELY-owned forum, else no one could be banned, no matter what they said. Plus, there would be no rules applying to a post's content. Just saying.

chas

BTW, I'm glad you're not leaving the forum (just because I expressed an opinion you didn't agree with). I really enjoy both your posts and your music. You appear to be a serious musician and I respect and enjoy the MUSICAL opinions of serious musicians.

Edited by cgiles (02/06/16 08:53 AM)

#416151 - 02/06/16 09:27 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: KORG80]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: KORG80
... I don't put myself on par with any of the great musicians but I know whatever musical abilities I have or will develop, definitely are a gift of God.
God Bless,
Don

+1 smile

#416215 - 02/07/16 08:08 AM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Mark
Nice writeup. Your lucky to have such and interesting and fulfilling life.

#418834 - 03/28/16 11:55 PM Re: my musical history in 855 words [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I just noticed this post was referred to in the bar so I looked it up again to see what I wrote. I remember I wanted to thank everyone here who responded in such a positive manner, and I’m not sure why I didn’t at the time.

I read the whole thread here again, and what came into my mind this time around was this.

There are quite a few people in the Synthzone I personally really like. Reason being, they are very polite in their own posts and in responding to other‘s posts, they have good morals, indulge in deep, rational thinking, are supportive, sympathetic, sometimes empathetic, not-combative, non-abrasive, and, most of all, soothing and therapeutic to interact in dialogue with. Interesting thing is that I noticed that almost all of those persons who I “personally really like” made an appearance in this thread.

In a world where few give and receive compliments, you all helped me to relive and appreciate the enjoyment of a past career. I'm glad I decided to post this.

And, thank you (and Nigel also) for your support and your understanding that the “G” word was used in context. It seems to draw the ire of some, but it was an important part of my life that I wanted to acknowledge in the interview.

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online