SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#415932 - 02/03/16 04:41 AM New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
As per Rosetree's suggestion, I'm posting this new video here, instead of in the Arranger Forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ro-rsg8Al4

#415935 - 02/03/16 06:22 AM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Nice demo, thanks for the link.
At the moment I've got other construction sites, so my pre-NAMM Montage fever has turned into a considerable indifference even if many sounds are impressive. This instrument is just much too heavy for my needs, I hope some day there will be a MoXF-dimensioned version (preferably without FM-X). Still have to check strings, French horns and woodwinds in detail...

#415978 - 02/03/16 12:51 PM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

I have heared all the demo's so far, and love the sound of this beats....

But...

I cant get over the feeling that there is to much missing...
Sampler, sequencer, pattern mode and Daw controll
VL and vA synthses
sCM, eAM as in Sa2 voices, ensemble technollogy, Organ emulations as in T5 Organ world

If Yamaha would have pushed, it would have been a competitor for Kronos.. Now its just an awesoem sounding performance synth, trailing the 4 year old Kronos...

The only thing it has going for it is the massive sound, but that can be done with the Kronos to, as well a motion sequencing...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#415992 - 02/03/16 06:44 PM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Weighing between Kronos and Montage, I also would opt for the Kronos due to the ample-size libraries it allows. But it's a pity the Kronos got heavier as well with its last version.
The Montage strings I heard again in the Japanese demo are very nice, but are they breathtakingly realistic? I'm already used to very good ones when I combine the best of Motif libraries and Integra...

#416041 - 02/04/16 11:57 AM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

I just got to know that of the 16 performance parts, 8 can be played live on the keyboard, the other 8 are usable only for sequencer or DAW.
According to Bad Mister from Yamaha, some details regarding the master features of thenonly mode, the performance mode, are not yet fully determined. So the Montage is still in its development stage.

https://yamahasynth.com/index.php?option...=851#reply-5084

#416046 - 02/04/16 04:28 PM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Nice demo, thanks for the link.
At the moment I've got other construction sites, so my pre-NAMM Montage fever has turned into a considerable indifference even if many sounds are impressive. This instrument is just much too heavy for my needs, I hope some day there will be a MoXF-dimensioned version (preferably without FM-X). Still have to check strings, French horns and woodwinds in detail...

You're welcome!

As soon as they post new demos featuring more acoustic sounds (pianos, guitars...) and orchestral sounds in particular (strings, brass, woodwinds...) I'll let you all know.

I can't wait to hear it and even see it compared to the Motif XF! Personally, if its 8 arpeggios can be made to sound like an arranger's 8 parts, I might consider it, instead of an actual arranger. Why not just buy an arranger? Because I like the idea of having a workstation/synth. Plus, they usually sound better than arrangers.

Dave Polich spent over a year and a half programming on the Montage. Here is what he says regarding its sound quality compared to a Motif XF:

"Sound quality - yes this is where Montage really shines. It’s better than the XF, and also for you Korg lovers, it’s much louder than the XF. There is no other FM anywhere that sounds quite like FM-X does. It’s not the old grainy aliasing FM of the DX7, and it’s not the plasticky FM of FM-8, or the rubbery FM available in the Kronos. It’s very detailed, sharp, crystal clear. You have to hear it for yourself. And the only way to do that will be to go see a Montage in some store somehwere when it is officially released."

I'm not into FM synthesis, either, but for some sounds, FM is great, like bell sounds.

I've read it has 10 times the wave Rom of the Motif. I hope a lot of it is used for acoustic and orchestral sounds.

Maybe, if there are many great orchestral sounds on board, I won't need to buy separate gear for that, like a Kurzweil or Integra-7. Here's hoping....

#416068 - 02/05/16 12:06 AM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have two friends that play in a Heart tribute band around Los Angeles with Dave Polich on keys. He couldn't believe that I am still playing the original Motif 6 Classic. My favorite Hammond B3 patch on it is one he programmed 16 years ago wink

I played the Montage at NAMM. The FM just sparkles. I like FM a lot and this is the best I have heard. And not just for bell sounds.

#416075 - 02/05/16 06:04 AM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Nigel, it's encouraging to know you think the FM on the Montage is "the best" you've heard. The reason I mentioned bell sounds is because my first synth was a Yamaha DX-21, and I remember it had very clear bell sounds, among others.

I'm wondering if you got around to trying some acoustic and orchestral sounds on the Montage? If so, how good were they?

Thanks!

#416123 - 02/05/16 11:48 PM Re: New Yamaha Montage Demo by GAK [Re: Mikem]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I auditioned many Montage sounds and I wasn't disappointed with any of them. I think Montage will definitely be a success for Yamaha. A great performance keyboard.

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online