SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#41326 - 05/06/05 04:47 PM Skype - FREE Internet Telephony
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Hi All,
Today I took delivery of my Musicpad Pro, in order to get it up and running I contacted my friend Scott Yee using MSN Messenger, it was Scott who suggested using Skype, I had installed it last week but had'nt tried it out, honestly the quality of the sound blew me away, so clear much better than any telephone call and I call the USA at least 3 times a week, we spoke for over 1 hour and Scott plated some numbers and sang, even my wife was dancing around the kitchen with our wee dog in her arms, it was just as tho Scott was sitting right here beside me, his keyboard sounded much better than any MP3 of which I have hundreds, I am sure those who are interested should give it a try, as for the MusicPad Pro, its early days and so much to learn, it will take a wee while but I will get back to anyone who would like to know once I have had a few days with it.
Johnny B

#41327 - 05/07/05 12:28 PM Re: Skype - FREE Internet Telephony
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
JohnnyB and all. Yes, it was incredible to finally chat (LIVE) with you via Skype yesterday, and as Johnny said, the signal was absoultely AMAZING . . . no echo, delay, or dropouts whatsoever. It truly felt like we were in the same room, even though it was 1/2 way around the world: UK-California. In addition, I also spoke with Bob & Sue Riffle (FL) today (on Skpe) and they having been skeptical about both Skype quality as well as my enthusiasm about my MusicPad Pro as well, have now joined in with their enthusiasm about Skype, and (like Johnny Barr) have purchased a MusicPad Pro unit as well. Admittedly, the MusicPad Pro is priceier than I'd prefer, but there really is NO EQUAL match to it's features via a regular laptop PC or any other device. I continue to be very satisfied with my MusicPad Pro, and only wished I had discovered it sooner.

In addition to Technics forum members John/Sue and Johnny, I've also had the pleasure of chatting with TEchnics forum member Elizabeth Evelyn. After several futile attempts & PC setting re-adjustments, we too had a succesful conversation on Skype, the signal not as clear as with the others.I suspect even though she has a hi-speed connection, because it is wireless Wi-Fi , this may have affected the signal quality.

In the meantime,I just tried out free internet audio telephone call to a friend in Brazil via MSN Messenger's new version 7, and impressed with the signal (both audio & simultaneous webcam). Great sound quality & no noticeable delay (when both parties have a hi speed internet connection), but best of all, with the addition of LIVE webcam (of which Skpe doesn't include).

Ok, I encourage others (especially those with a hi-speed internet connection) to contact fellow SZ members on Skype or MSN Messenger 7. It's the opportunity of a lifetime to further develop friendships and make music with fellow SZ members.

Scott

#41328 - 05/07/05 01:30 PM Re: Skype - FREE Internet Telephony
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
SCOTT.....In addition to working with you to solve the challenges of connecting through SKYPE, I am also working with a fellow RV'r who is also a computer Techie....not a musician...in Louisiana.

My Sony Vaio laptop computer has an adjustable voice/audio sound system, the Net2Phone that I call "RV" on also has one, I think SKYPE has one, & my headset/mic has an adjustable volume! As soon as he & I agree that our communications are clear & wonderful.....I will call you again to see if there is as great a communication as you experience with others.

Please don't give up on me SCOTT! I DO want to participate in this fun stuff!

ELIZABETH

#41329 - 05/07/05 03:11 PM Re: Skype - FREE Internet Telephony
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I should have my DSL high speed internet connection up and running by Tuesday morning. My tech at the phone company said 386 kbs upstream should be more than adequate for Skype purposes. I hope so.

Bernie

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online