SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#410327 - 10/28/15 06:11 PM More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot...
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
get out of my head. (guess it's part of the aging process.) I've always loved this song, and it has some unique chord changes, which makes it somewhat difficult to play for an old codger than cannot read music. Here it is, mistakes and all.

https://app.box.com/s/zv3vi6csdlk2n1bp3fsfph5ua8afk6yk

As always, all constructive comments are welcomed,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410331 - 10/28/15 08:44 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Constructive criticism. Get a damn "REAL BOOK" and delete all of those favorite guitar tab chord sites on your favorites bar. Why you ask? Because they all suck!! I'll repeat that !! They all suck. I checked out the Chords to Georgia today and out of about 8 or 10 of those erroneous sites, they have a Fm where the F# diminished belongs. No wonder all your ears and intonation is screwed up. The turn arounds all suck too. None of those guys are Rory Hoffman. If Rory writes it, it will be correct. Those guys with all of their sites with guitar tab whatever ya call it doesn't know what half of you here know. If it has more than 4 chords they are the blind leading the blind. If a blind man leads a blind man they will both fall into a pit. If you need that translated PM me please. If you don't believe me ask Uncle Dave's friend the sax player and Randy "The Saxman" here on the forum about those terrible chord sites that's been having many of you play the wrong chords and deviating from the melody because it's impossible to sing the melody correct if you are laying down the wrong chords, impossible... I can't believe that Russ and Chas won't say anything about those dumbass sites too! I can't believe they haven't checked out one of those sites and that they don't know any better. It's killing my ears damn it. Geez.

Is that destructive, Oops! I mean constructive enough folks or would you like me to elaborate. We don't have anyone here who can buy all of you folks a Real Book and write it off as charity or something. Hell, if I had the money, I'd just buy you all one as a free gift for a year end bonus so that I could save my ears and my sanity. You don't have to jazz things up to play the correct chords. Like Hillary says, What the hell difference does it make? If it made a difference with just two of you I'd be happy. However, I think my destructive, Oops I mean my Constructive Criticism is falling on deaf ears. Wasting my breath, Chaff after the wind, all for nothing, wasting my time. Please someone help me out here and say, "Boo I believe you," I ordered a Real Book tonight. I'll never be great, but I want to take pride in what I do and do it the best way that I can possibly do it. It's not just about the admiration from all of the retirees and the money anymore. I just want to hold my head up and say I am striving to better myself at what I do because it is natural for a human to always try to do better. Geez ! !! "Now go take on tomorrow." If you guys don't make a real effort to post things here with the right chords, I'm gonna stop listening, I can't take the botched up crap anymore after 15 years.

Edited by brickboo (10/28/15 08:56 PM)

#410333 - 10/28/15 09:28 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo, I'll stop using those sites when you post something better. Those are the chords I Use to suit my vocal range. Obviously, they are transposed from the original.

C'mon, gimme something to work with!

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410335 - 10/28/15 10:23 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, you can download the Real book, actually three of them, from PSR Tutorial, if you feel like stealing. I didn't feel bad about doing that, because at one time I did buy them. I'm sure they are in a big box in the attic along with hundreds of other books.
The vast majority of us here are not accomplished enough to play all the chords written in the Real Book on many songs. Many here cannot read music.
And if we could manage to get six changes in a measure, our arrangers would not recognize a lot of them and make mistakes for us. We can make enough on our own, as you are kind enough to keep pointing out.
We all understand how good you are, and some of us wish we were that good. I could play a lot of the songs in those books, but really nobody in my audiences want to hear them, and if they did, they just want to hear a melody line they recognize and a beat they can dance to. How are the audiences in Colorado responding to your music?
It's one thing to sit at home and spend eight hours perfecting a song, then step-sequencing it note by note, then playing along or singing with it, but I'd rather be out working and entertaining people. I'm not saying do them wrong, and you are absolutely right about having the correct basic changes so you can sing the melody correctly, but I am saying too many complicated changes are beyond the capabilities of many of us, and are difficult to incorporate into the technology we're using.
We are mostly old men enjoying making music on our arrangers, and sharing it with people who appreciate it.
And, I would add that if our "botched up crap" offends you, don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave.
You don't have a problem dishing it out so . . .

#410336 - 10/28/15 10:32 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

How many times does I gots to speak it. For the was $35, those stupid sites can't compare to the Real Book by Hal Leonard. This is the one I have http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/the-ultimate-jazz-fake-book-c-edition-sheet-music/2889020?d=sem_SFD&gclid=Cj0KEQjw5MGxBRDiuZm2icXX2-sBEiQA619bq6u3F0PX-MTzkXyss7NfpksSUHU6d7OkNfDM73DtwBQaAhku8P8HAQ&mkwid=ssucO5adW%7Cpcrid%7C56629584022&popup=false

Never mind if you don't like Darn that dream or all the things you are. If you learn those two tunes and chord structure all the other tunes will be easier. There's some that are easier to start with. It should be useful and have tunes you do and you'll learn the right chords. Now it's $45. If it's free and the chords suck it ain't worth a crap is it? With all the other junk you have, this is the most valuable thing you can do to improve if you can't afford the School of Julliard etc..

#410338 - 10/28/15 11:00 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
https://app.box.com/s/yjffbj9zjusk58os3ies
Here's one, there are three there. Knock yourself out.

#410342 - 10/29/15 01:25 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: DonM]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Here you go Gary, in your key, you really must try harder to keep Boo happy rolleyes

Col

PS: Please don't forget the Bm6/G# in bar 20 laugh

Attachments
Riz Ortolani & Nini Oliviero, Norman Newell - More.pdf (67 downloads)

#410344 - 10/29/15 04:53 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: Saswick]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Gary

Now I'm really trying (to be helpful), I've just knocked up a midi file for "More", see what you think.

Four bar intro and repeats from "More than you ever know"

Col

PS your voice seems to be stronger now you are not giving it so much work.

Attachments
more.MID (117 downloads)

Edited by Saswick (10/29/15 04:55 AM)

#410345 - 10/29/15 06:55 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Sawick your midi comes up with VLC media but is says it can't access the code or something to that effect. Thus it won't play on my laptop. I'm a chord enthusiast but no high tech here. That bores me to death. It's kinda like the guys who can't play the right chords ! They're just not interested in that, and I'm not interested in high tech. So what, Who cares the audience doesn't know the difference. What difference does it make anyway? The tin ear audience can't hear it. Never mind they can't hear it themselves. ha ha

What I'm doing here is an awful, stinking, low down job. But ya know what? Somebody's got to grow a set and do it, or you guys will be making wrong chord changes all your lives and still bragging when you're 100, oh hell, I played the wrong chord changes all of my life and made lots of money doing it. That must make you real proud eh?

Edited by brickboo (10/29/15 07:00 AM)

#410347 - 10/29/15 07:07 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: Saswick]
KORG80 Offline

Gary,
I thought that was pretty decent. And your audiences are going to dance without a thought for chord structure. A real band could get all those extra chords in but it is impossible to do so on an arranger keyboard. Boo has to realize that we are singing and playing at the same time and that an arranger keyboard no matter what you paid for it could never interpret all those quick chord changes even if we practiced ad nauseum to get all the correct chords in place while we are singing or playing the melody.

I once made an effort to study and play jazz chords on guitar. Many are very complicated to finger and are used transitionally. You could never sing to most of them. We need to stick with minor 7ths major or minor ninths etc. Throw in the flatted 13ths or whatever and the arranger and the singer get lost. That's just the way it is. If any inadequacies in our equipment or playing abilities kept us from performing complicated arrangements in a more simplified way it would be a pretty sad state of affairs.

In church there are some modern praise songs that were written on piano and my guitar partner and I have to adapt them to guitar. Many of these have chord changes on every word. Sounds fine on piano but just does not work on guitar, especially when your trying to sing.

So Boo and all you other jazz guys cut us some slack or maybe record something with incredibly complicated chord arrangements and sing along with it while playing so we can see how it's done.

God Bless,
Don

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online