SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#409899 - 10/21/15 01:47 AM Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5?
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Hi guys,
just a question and i hope this gets to Yamaha. The Tyros has many great sounds, but the Piano is very ordinary. Why, given that you can increase the RAM in the Tyros 5 etc, haven't Yamaha come up with better and improved Piano's for the series?. I would be happy to pay for a great sample set!

Any One?

#409916 - 10/21/15 09:59 AM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Robbo, you can make your own piano sound by modifying one of the onboard sounds to fit your requirements. It's very easy to do.

Attached is one I created several years ago and it has been downloaded thousands of time. Just unzip the files, copy them to your use drive, then press any instrument category, tab to the USB, then select the piano voices I created. It works fine on all Yamaha arranger keyboards.

All the best,

Gary cool

Attachments
grand_piano.zip (90 downloads)
Grand_Piano2.zip (69 downloads)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#409918 - 10/21/15 11:06 AM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Robbo
Hi guys,
just a question and i hope this gets to Yamaha. The Tyros has many great sounds, but the Piano is very ordinary. Why, given that you can increase the RAM in the Tyros 5 etc, haven't Yamaha come up with better and improved Piano's for the series?. I would be happy to pay for a great sample set!

Any One?

There is a german company selling a 1GB piano for T5, fills up your flash nicely, unless you have 2GB like me..

Sounds great, tough way to large.. I will see if i can find the link

http://keyszone.boards.net

#409927 - 10/21/15 02:28 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
travlin'easy Offline

Bachus, did you try the one I posted, yet? Everyone tells me it's as good as they get, maybe better.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#409941 - 10/21/15 05:36 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
rosetree
Unregistered

Gary, you certainly made the best achievable out of that piano sample, but it is impossible to "edit" a piano with a limited sample into a totally realistic piano. The sample is the raw material of the tone, and the editing functions of keyboards, even synthesizers cannot change anything about the sample itself. Again, as DNJ has said several times, this is about nuances of the piano sound that are probably pointless if the piano is used in a mix with styles, it becomes important for solo piano if you listen closely. If the original sample sounds like a bright Steinway and instead you want to hear a Boesendorfer, you need a different sample and can't just edit it.

#409942 - 10/21/15 06:32 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
travlin'easy Offline

Yes, I understand that, however, we, as performers and entertainers, primarily use our piano along with styles - not as a solo pianist. If I were a solo pianist I would have purchased an electric piano - not an arranger keyboard. Then, after about 30 minutes, my audiences would be sound asleep. Of course, there are some on this forum that are great piano players - I'm, obviously, not among them.

What I did with that piano voice is make it much fuller, more realistic sounding, and as close to a real, Yamaha, Grand Piano as I could. I added depth and fullness to the voice, which just was not there in the default grand piano voice.

I did this by listening carefully to a recently deceased and Synthzone member's and good friend's Yamaha Grand Piano and adding the needed effects to make the piano voices I posted sound as much like the real thing as possible. I have access to a Steinway as well, however, I never really liked the Steinway as much as I liked the Yamaha Grand. Just my personal preference, though. I'm sure others will feel the opposite way.

As an entertainer, and an arranger keyboard player, I sincerely believe that we can tune our instruments to sound very, very close to the real thing. And, with the use of things such as the sustain pedal, pitch bend, and modulation, we can do wonderful things that provides our audiences with the kind of quality music they want and pay us so generously to hear. Of course, there is one additional caveat - we must also be top notch players as well. Unfortunately, I'm not in that category, but there are members that fit that bill.

I once performed for the Saint Andrews Society at a huge ballroom in Towson, Maryland. I only had to do a couple numbers, both of which were my own compositions consisting of mix of several upland songs. It was just the intro to their featured entertainer, who was an incredible vocalist, a beautiful redhead (sorry Dave wasn't there) who was flown in from Scotland for the occasion. Her pianist was a beautiful, young Russian lady who played piano for the Baltimore Symphony. Back then, I was using the PSR-2000, which was used to create both of those posted voices. I set the keyboard to full fingered mode, no style - just the piano. I added a light layer of strings for voice2, which she said really sounded great. For the next hour and a half this lady brought that PSR-2000 to life. Her fingers danced over the keys with incredible accuracy, the sounds coming from the speakers were beyond my wildest dreams and that good looking redhead nailed every song with perfection.

The bottom line is if you put me in front of the best grand piano on the planet, I couldn't make it sound good at all. In fact, it would likely not sound as good as the voices I posted - I'm NOT a piano player, and most of the forum members, I strongly suspect, are not as well. So, those voices I posted were my creations to make my keyboard sound better - nothing else. In that respect, I sincerely believe I have accomplished that goal.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (10/21/15 06:35 PM)

#409943 - 10/21/15 06:36 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: travlin'easy]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Hi Trav Easy,

tried the samples, slightly different than the onboard T5, but is missing the nuances i wanted for that sound. Once again Yamaha there must be better samples we can install for this instrument. The work you put into the guitars brass woodwind tells me this is possible, so maybe that other site 1 gbyte who ever they are can do it?

Thanks guys

#409945 - 10/21/15 07:40 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
travlin'easy Offline

Maybe Robbo - just not sure. Let us know when you check it out.

#409946 - 10/21/15 07:42 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
travlin'easy Offline

Here are the two songs that I performed for the Saint Andrews Society that night - mistakes and all. Like I said, I'm not an accomplished player, but I manage to keep my audiences entertained.

https://app.box.com/s/drj2lw63htcv66gzdh4b0ftepjwanh7k

https://app.box.com/s/t6neciwv2k8iskswjtu2pw238r4x0nd8

Enjoy,

Gary cool

#409952 - 10/21/15 10:00 PM Re: Better Piano Sound for Tyros 5? [Re: Robbo]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Robbo
Hi Trav Easy,

tried the samples, slightly different than the onboard T5, but is missing the nuances i wanted for that sound. Once again Yamaha there must be better samples we can install for this instrument. The work you put into the guitars brass woodwind tells me this is possible, so maybe that other site 1 gbyte who ever they are can do it?

Thanks guys

Here is the link

http://www.multisampling.de/Multisampling/CMS_Grand_Piano.html
Gary, i will be testing that sample of you tonight.. didnt have time yesterday

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online