SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#409497 - 10/12/15 05:06 PM Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
What do you Bossa Nova fans think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kTsmMQODsE

#409500 - 10/12/15 07:24 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Very nice and relaxing. wink
I enjoyed it smile
Thanks
Eric

#409502 - 10/12/15 07:31 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

You're welcome!

#409505 - 10/12/15 08:19 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow, that would be a great style to use in a laid back restaurant setting.

Good post,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#409506 - 10/12/15 08:42 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

i think that young man does some great demo's

there is also some other nice ones on his list

http://keyszone.boards.net

#409516 - 10/13/15 07:03 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Beautiful and relaxing. Nice arrangement. Lloyd

#409518 - 10/13/15 07:34 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I could listen to bossa nova for hours !!!

Thanks for the post ... there's other nice 'wallpaper' music on that page also ...

#409521 - 10/13/15 08:03 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

I'm glad to see there are other Bossa Nova lovers on this forum.

#409522 - 10/13/15 08:05 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

I'm wondering if those who own a PSR-S950 think the same style and sounds would sound just as good as on the 970?

#409524 - 10/13/15 08:38 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'm real picky about keyboard guitars, and this one sounds FANTASTIC! When other kids were playing bill Haley, I was playing Jobim, Sergio and Jose.

Thanks! You might have guessed, I play lots of Bossa's. In an average month, I play 10 dinner gigs on nylon string...Giannini (made in Brazil)is my favorite brand of bossa guitar.

Russ

#409525 - 10/13/15 08:44 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Nice sound. Great style.

#409526 - 10/13/15 08:52 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
.... When other kids were playing bill Haley, I was playing Jobim, Sergio and Jose. ...
Russ

I was taking armor training at Ft. Knox Ky. in 1962, when during a phone conversation one weekend, the sax player in our band told me about this 'new beat' called 'Bossa Nova' and said we would be adding some of these songs to our cocktail hour set for weddings, etc. ... he was always the 'jazz guy' in the group and he couldn't wait for us to start playing this great 'new style' of music ...

Edited by tony mads usa (10/13/15 08:53 AM)

#409529 - 10/13/15 09:11 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Just my opinion, that's all.

The guitars sounded 'nice' and authentic (although it sounded as if some of the dynamics may have been compressed out).

Didn't care for the Sax at all, too 'plain jane' for me as far as the playing style and I also didn't like that particular sax voice (there are others on that instrument that I like better - just a personal taste thing).

I thought the STYLE itself was pretty much what you'd hear on any other modern arranger (except for featuring better guitars) - in other words, perfectly acceptable but wouldn't make me rush out to buy a record based on it.

Certainly nothing 'bad' about it, but unlike Tony, I could listen to about two minutes of it and then be ready to move on. For what it's worth, very few arranger styles get me excited and those few would all be found on a Korg. JMO, nothing more.

chas

#409538 - 10/13/15 11:05 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Dnj Offline

Nice relaxing performance........ headphone

I'd like a deeper finger bass.. cool2

#409539 - 10/13/15 11:19 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
...perfectly acceptable but wouldn't make me rush out to buy a record based on it.chas

Damned, you really are an old fart - They haven't made records for more years than I can remember. wink However, I did read somewhere that someone was making them again.

All the best,

Gary cool

#409542 - 10/13/15 11:41 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Certainly nothing 'bad' about it, but unlike Tony, I could listen to about two minutes of it and then be ready to move on. For what it's worth, very few arranger styles get me excited and those few would all be found on a Korg. JMO, nothing more.
chas

chas ... point of clarification - not that the style was bad, but, I did not mean I could listen to THAT bossa nova for hours, but rather bossa nova played by musicians such as Jobim, Gilberto, Getz, Desmond, Byrd, etc. ...

And we do agree on KORG styles ...

#409546 - 10/13/15 02:23 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

chas

chas ... point of clarification - not that the style was bad, but, I did not mean I could listen to THAT bossa nova for hours, but rather bossa nova played by musicians such as Jobim, Gilberto, Getz, Desmond, Byrd, etc. ...

In other words then, we're in COMPLETE agreement smile. And BTW, did you hear that travlin' Yammy Fanboy call me an ol' fart. Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle umm, aluminum? smile smile smile

chas

#409547 - 10/13/15 02:37 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

chas

In other words then, we're in COMPLETE agreement smile. And BTW, did you hear that travlin' Yammy Fanboy call me an ol' fart. Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle umm, aluminum? smile smile smile

chas

Yeah ... the only calendar Gary never had a problem with is the one for his gigs ... grin

#409549 - 10/13/15 03:29 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

My 45-year-old daughter and my 49-year-old son reminded me that I will be 75 this Saturday. Damned, I never thought I would make it this far. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

#409550 - 10/13/15 04:12 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

There was a nice Bossanova arpeggio in a performance of the Yamaha MoX. I played a little Jobim with it two years ago and still have this little recording. It's a faster type of bossa.
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/yamaha-mox-one-note-bossa-nova

#409555 - 10/13/15 07:23 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
There was a nice Bossanova arpeggio in a performance of the Yamaha MoX. I played a little Jobim with it two years ago and still have this little recording. It's a faster type of bossa.

It sounds very similar, or the same as a performance on my Motif XF. However, the name is different. The good thing about arpeggios is that there are thousands to choose from on the Motif. You can really customize a performance.

#409557 - 10/13/15 09:51 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mikem

It sounds very similar, or the same as a performance on my Motif XF. However, the name is different. The good thing about arpeggios is that there are thousands to choose from on the Motif. You can really customize a performance.

Not really this is the MOX, that was before the MOXF... which in essence is a downgraded Motif ES, only 64 voices poly and no sample memmory...

#409561 - 10/14/15 04:33 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: Mikem

Not really this is the MOX, that was before the MOXF... which in essence is a downgraded Motif ES, only 64 voices poly and no sample memmory...

That's wrong. The MoX is identical to The Motif XS, not ES except polyphony and missing RAM. So the first 8 of 9 voice banks are identical to the Motif XF, this performance is identical, too, as it doesn't use any of the new voices of bank 9.

Edited by rosetree (10/14/15 04:43 AM)

#409563 - 10/14/15 05:21 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Rosetree, you really know your keyboards!

#409565 - 10/14/15 06:18 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks, but I think I have to clarify, my statement was a bit confusing regarding the voice banks: Motif XS and MoX have an identical soundset, divided into banks 1 to 8. In the Motif XF, 128 new voices were implemented in an additional user bank. MOXF adopts these new voices in an additional preset bank 9. Most of the performances or even all of them, including this bossa one (it's called "Bossa on the Beach"), only use the old XS voices from voice banks 1-8. So there is no difference. I guess now it should be clearer.

Edited by rosetree (10/14/15 06:46 AM)

#409574 - 10/14/15 08:29 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Thanks, but I think I have to clarify, my statement was a bit confusing regarding the voice banks: Motif XS and MoX have an identical soundset, divided into banks 1 to 8. In the Motif XF, 128 new voices were implemented in an additional user bank. MOXF adopts these new voices in an additional preset bank 9. Most of the performances or even all of them, including this bossa one (it's called "Bossa on the Beach"), only use the old XS voices from voice banks 1-8. So there is no difference. I guess now it should be clearer.

Thanks for clearing thos, i really tought the mox was build on the Es.... Tough, the letter X at the end should have warned me..

So basically you play this on your MOXF, using the MOX voices?
So how about the effects session? Didnt the MOtif XF get a full upgrade to the effects section, or where those allready in the XS?

Personally i like the MOXF a lot with its build in flash ram memmory which puts it above the MOX by quite some in my book, the MOX was a nice keyboard, the MOXF is near to perfect for the money..

MOXF+PA4x+Integra7. Would be a deathly combination... Same as Tyros5+Kronos+Integra7

But then.. That Bossa is sensational, just love how well the Yamaha instruments sounds are ballanced

#409583 - 10/14/15 11:16 AM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Thanks for clearing thos, i really tought the mox was build on the Es.... Tough, the letter X at the end should have warned me..

So basically you play this on your MOXF, using the MOX voices?
So how about the effects session? Didnt the MOtif XF get a full upgrade to the effects section, or where those allready in the XS?

Personally i like the MOXF a lot with its build in flash ram memmory which puts it above the MOX by quite some in my book, the MOX was a nice keyboard, the MOXF is near to perfect for the money..

MOXF+PA4x+Integra7. Would be a deathly combination... Same as Tyros5+Kronos+Integra7

But then.. That Bossa is sensational, just love how well the Yamaha instruments sounds are ballanced

When I recorded this, I still had the MoX, it was before the MoXF was released. If I played the same performance with the MoXF now, it would sound the same unless I exchanged the voices with new ones from bank 9.
About the effects, I don't know details. I've always cared much more about good samples than effects, although I admit that e.g. the Integra reverb is audibly weaker than the MoXF' one.

#409586 - 10/14/15 02:41 PM Re: Original Bossa Nova Style on PSR-S970 [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

"Bossa on the Beach". Yes, that's the one. Thanks for reminding me. At my age, the idea of going down three flights of stairs to my basement to check the name of that performance on my Motif XF was quite unreasonable! wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online