SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#40919 - 12/10/03 05:21 AM kn6000 foot controller?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Is there a particular foot controller (to controll fill-ins, etc.) that works best with the kn6000?
Also, I am planning my PC upgrade ... does any particular operating system work better with the kn6000 than others?
thnx,
t.

#40920 - 12/10/03 10:13 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tony,

For my 6000 and now for my 7000 I use a Technote 4 switch and 2 singles mounted on the sides of a Technote expression pedal. As an ex amature organist I am use to having expresion pedal switches. With a switch for 6 operations, leaves both hands free to hit the wrong notes.

Have had no trouble with the 4 bank or single switch's. The weight of the singles on the expression pedal requires hinge tension adjustment about every 6 months.

Fran in Florida

#40921 - 12/10/03 10:16 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should have said the 4 switch is on the floor and the singles are mounted each side of the expression pedal.

Fran in Florida

#40922 - 12/10/03 10:19 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Tony, Any Technics compatible footswitch will be OK to control Fill-Ins etc. - it's just a case of assigning the footswitch to a particular function in 'Program Menus/Control/Foot Controllers'
As far as the OS on your new PC is concerned, it doesn't really make much difference, since the KN6000 has not got a direct link (USB) to the PC. If you intend to use a MIDI link for a PC sequencer program, again it's not important as far as the KN6000 is concerned - the sequencer program would of course have to be compatible with your chosen OS.
If you just wish to connect the Audio output from the KN6000, to your PC sound card, for recording to CD, then again, the choice of OS is not really a concern.
Much as I hate to say it it would probably be best to go for XP since Win98 and Win ME will shortly cease to be supported by Microsoft, although WIN2000 still has a bit of life yet

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#40923 - 12/10/03 10:20 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
tony mads usa Offline

Fran..... thank you ....
...anyone using something else for comparison sake?
t.

#40924 - 12/10/03 10:22 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
tony mads usa Offline

Bill .. thank you also .... apparently we were both posting at about the same time .
t.

#40925 - 12/10/03 03:35 PM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Tony,

I use a home built unit based on a circuit available at http://home.no/gjg/bobs/Hruby.htm
To this I have connected 2 microswitches mounted on my expression pedal and two home made knee press switches using a microswitch mounted on a Tee Hinge. With this arrangement I can operate any switch without taking my foot off the expression pedal.

Cheers
Len C.

#40926 - 12/10/03 04:13 PM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Len,

So happy you posted. I lost the url for the home built that I saw several years ago.
This is what I need to take the two single (heavy) switch's of the expression pedal and replace with something lighter.

Tony I definately aggree with Willum. Go for XP. Not perfect but Microsoft seems to bet better as time goes by. Shame they do not have more competition.

Fran in Florida

#40927 - 12/10/03 11:23 PM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
Len,
So happy you posted. I lost the url for the home built that I saw several years ago.
....Go for XP....
Fran in Florida

You'll find Bob's pages in the technical pages at
my Website, or at http://home.no/gjg/bobs/ as long as
I'm provided free serverspace
Even if it's much KN5000 stuff, there are a lot of material
also suitable for other KN's.

Happy playing.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#40928 - 12/11/03 02:37 AM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Mike ORegan Offline

On the subject of foot pedals, I have used a Y****A expression pedal for many years and through many Technics keyboards. However, the polarity is originally opposite to Technics, so I had to open up the pedal (no mean task!) and swap wires over. That done, the Y****A pedal is much superior to the plasticky Technics one (and it has ample room for my Size Tens!)
Mike O'R

#40929 - 12/11/03 12:58 PM Re: kn6000 foot controller?
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Firstly, let me say I have used the 4-switch foot controller since it was introduced by Technote and cannot fault it. It is easy to set up and customise, just follow the instructions sent with it.

I also use an expression pedal bought from them which is large and comfortable - not unlike those used on organs and again, I have found it to be a 'work horse'. If you want to know more I suggest you go to the Technote site at www.technote.com where you will find details of everything they sell.

However, I cannot say that about the new PC I recently updated to. I went from using Windows 98 to Windows XP Home Edition about six months ago and despite installing all available updates I am still unable to get it to accept/talk properly with the software issued with the KN7000 for use with the SD Card, File Manager etc. I understand this is a problem with both the XP2000 Home Edition and the Milennium Version. I have Alec's book and even after following his instructions I have only got it to work once or twice so my advice would be to do a thorough research of the various PC systems available before actually making your purchase.

Hope this helps.

Aud

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online