SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#408026 - 09/08/15 05:12 PM Performers, does the keyboard really matter?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
We've been through a few Yamaha keyboards; also I have a few nice guitars.

Tonight, my wife reminded me that we started out with a Yamaha PSR E423; or one of those PSR 400 series. We performed to older crowds and they brought us back because they liked our performance.

Since then, we've gone through a few Yamaha keyboards. I doubt the keyboards made us better performers; may have given us more confidence.

Actually, the biggest difference came when we switched to a Bose L1 and then two Bose Compacts. Folks really noticed that.

I doubt our crowds would notice the difference between our Tyros 4 and our latest PSR...the S970. I notice the difference between a Tyros and a PSR. Our audiences? Not so much.

At this point, when I'm doing a solo gig, I still feel the most confident in our Tyros. But I'm guessing, when I get comfortable with the S970, our audiences will like it just as much.

Our audiences are age mid 40's on up.

Thoughts?

Edited by guitpic1 (09/08/15 05:15 PM)

#408027 - 09/08/15 05:18 PM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree. It's not the keyboard as much as it is the entertainer behind the keyboard. Those Bose compacts, however, really bring those keys to life.

All the best,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408028 - 09/08/15 05:42 PM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Ah but, a talented keyboard player would sound on a better keyboard. I guess that’s why the better players normally own a top keyboard.

John C.

#408029 - 09/08/15 05:45 PM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

It's the player every time..

#408047 - 09/09/15 07:12 AM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: Dnj]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
It depends on exactly how the arranger keyboard is going to be used. For basic sit and play, player skills, musicality and knowledge make a huge difference, but most players obviously strive for the best sounding arranger for their needs and means.

If you look deeper into one's requirements beyond the sit and play scenario for home or extra needs playing live at gigs, the arranger capabilities and sound quality become really important.

For those who want to arrange, edit, compose, create, record or lastly perform, the arranger keyboard becomes just as important to playing skills or even more important. Some arranger users perhaps don't play, but have enough musical theory or natural instinct to still create styles, midi songs, or maybe use sampling and sounds to create recordings or just have fun.

Considering what my current TOTL arranger can accomplish (arranging a full orchestral type score )and the results achieved while playing and syncing arrangements, I have to say the keyboard almost becomes more important. Especially all the features, tools, sound quality and the inspiration to maximize the arrangers or even the player's ability.

Marcus

#408049 - 09/09/15 07:35 AM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
it the putter not the puttie

#408053 - 09/09/15 08:19 AM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: musicforyourday]
rphillipchuk Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
it the putter not the puttie

That brought a chuckle out of me lol

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#408055 - 09/09/15 08:41 AM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: rphillipchuk]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Winston Walls , a really great regional B-3 player could take
an old piece of junk with 1/2 the keys functioning and "wail" on it.

But he sounded better on a better instrument.

I think a good player stands out, no matter what he/she plays, but style makes a difference. In a dining room, a grand may work best. If you're trying to be an OMB, the more bells and whistles the better (I guess...I'm not into bells and whistles).

If playing talent is the thing that matters, the basics (A good left hand, if that's part of the style)and great sounds
organ, vibes, piano...whatever you need to play a style is the thing that matters.

Performance is such an individual thing that each situation is different.

Each of us has to sort it out for ourselves. I have two new arrangers...in boxes for years, because I still like my old MS 60's. And, if I can do it, I use no arranger at all. Often, I use left hand bass, the drums from the arranger and the Solton 13 pedals to key breaks, sound changes, etc.

But, that's just me!

Russ (old school) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (09/09/15 08:45 AM)

#408064 - 09/09/15 10:33 AM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I think, at least in this instance, the OP is talking about the entertainment aspects - not musicianship. There is a huge difference between an accomplished entertainer and an accomplished musician, not that the person behind the keyboard cannot be both, though. Both Eddie Shoemaker and Don Mason are in the both category. They are quite accomplished musicians and entertainers alike, therefore, regardless of the instrument they play, they will still do a great job of entertaining their audiences.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408081 - 09/09/15 06:00 PM Re: Performers, does the keyboard really matter? [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I agree with what others said ! Maybe this will help. It's the Bricklayer not the Brick, Not the Mixer, Not the trowel, Not the scaffold, Not the brick saw, Not the hod carrier, Not the building permit, Not the building department, Not the general contractor, nor the Architect. It's the Bricklayer and the Bricklayer only. If you still don't understand this, take the average idiot walking down the street, sit him at the greatest arranger made and tell him to make an audience happy. Ha ha ha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online