SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#407737 - 09/04/15 12:57 PM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
necdetdoni Offline

Loc: Antalya / Turkey
As far as i know;Ketron working on a new Keyboard.. but i can be an oriental keyboard

#407749 - 09/05/15 01:49 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: necdetdoni]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: rosetree
Very bad sales figures according to the number of reviews at Europe's online giant Thomann: zero reviews.

I hope Ketron releases a Big Update for the SD7, peoples patience is wearing thin,....that's what players are waiting for & I hope they are listening to their feedback also.
I for one want to see them do well,...we'll see.

Well, there are almost no resellers left in Holland, Ketron has a bad reputation with most of them, and after my personal experiences with Ketron europe and my Audya 4, which was a great instrument when and if it played (unreliable) i think i can see why.

Originally Posted By: necdetdoni
As far as i know;Ketron working on a new Keyboard.. but i can be an oriental keyboard

The Audya top model is 6 years old, and its getting overdue. If i combine that with their current bad sales, it might be their last chance to bring something great innovative and reliable to the customers, or they might suffer the same fate as General Music.

And despite my bad experience with my Ketron Audya 4, its sad to see them in such position. because among my favorite user styles many are Ketron orriginated.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407753 - 09/05/15 03:26 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
Anthony Johnson Offline

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England
Seems as though the forthcoming update is sorely needed so speed is of the essence for Ketron to avoid hitting the dirt.

It must be remembered however, that the SD7 is a mid range keyboard and for full editing capabilities etc, you usually
need to be looking at top of range boards.

Have never played a Korg so I don't know whether their mid-range boards provide such in depth edits.
I haven't played an SD7 either but, on reading the Manual, the operating system looks as simple as it gets to me.

The board sounds very good for the price but people do remember the Audya problems and I really hope Ketron don't let themselves and their customers down this time around.

Still looking for the perfect keyboard? - no such thing, but if you look around, there is always one that's as near as dammit for your needs - some may cost an arm and a leg though.
Tony

Edited by Anthony Johnson (09/05/15 03:27 AM)

#407755 - 09/05/15 03:33 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

In Ketron's defence - the Audya problems have long since been solved completely. For many years already. And in their defence, the Audya was radical for it's time & still is, even six years later. Ketron ventured into a field that all others are hesitant to go. They are trailblazers in this regards. They were also the 1st to do time stretching & transposition on pure audio files. It is to their credit that they were able to solve all of the initial problems eventually.

In defence of the SD7 - everyone says WOW to the very few Yamaha styles using audio drums. ALL styles on the SD7 use audio drums. This alone is once again ground braking technology & once again Ketron ventured successfully into where others fear to go. At least give them the credit due for this. And from the few SD7 styles I was able to convert to my Audya, those styles are really nice & I have not even heard the majority of the SD7 styles.

Cheers,

Henni

#407760 - 09/05/15 06:20 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

It's too bad that Ketron had some bad years and people remember those much better than the later years when mistakes have been
corrected.
However, it's not fair to go back to those years when they are history.
All keyboards have had bad models in the early years. Lloyd
PS: I am not praising Ketron, just saying.

#407765 - 09/05/15 07:47 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
I really don't know what I'm missing here. I am a first-time Ketron Keyboard owner and have not had a single problem with using the SD7 on gigs I play almost daily. I was able to get it setup and use on it's first gig after only having it a week! I don't find the OS "horrible" as some here have said, and I don't find the styles difficult to tweak and save the changes. I have created user voices, changed OTS voices, tweaked drum kits, and save all of it which I use in different ways. I am aware of the Ketron past user support issues and understand why past Ketron owners who had to deal with the previous USA distributer would not be Ketron fans. But that has nothing to do with
the SD7 as a keyboard. It is common knowledge that the OS will be updated, probably will come this month. Afterall- Ketron closes in Italy for the month of August. Poor timing, but that is the way it is as they say. I would suggest those who have not played or owned a SD7 get some experience with the SD7 before posting negatives.

Deane

#407768 - 09/05/15 08:22 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: hammer]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer
I really don't know what I'm missing here. I am a first-time Ketron Keyboard owner and have not had a single problem with using the SD7 on gigs I play almost daily. I was able to get it setup and use on it's first gig after only having it a week! I don't find the OS "horrible" as some here have said, and I don't find the styles difficult to tweak and save the changes. I have created user voices, changed OTS voices, tweaked drum kits, and save all of it which I use in different ways. I am aware of the Ketron past user support issues and understand why past Ketron owners who had to deal with the previous USA distributer would not be Ketron fans. But that has nothing to do with
the SD7 as a keyboard. It is common knowledge that the OS will be updated, probably will come this month. Afterall- Ketron closes in Italy for the month of August. Poor timing, but that is the way it is as they say. I would suggest those who have not played or owned a SD7 get some experience with the SD7 before posting negatives.

Deane

+1

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#407769 - 09/05/15 08:38 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I fully agree with Deane's statement. I'm getting lots of comments regarding the sound of the SD7.
If they address the omissions as promised, it will be a killer arranger.

#407772 - 09/05/15 09:16 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Having started this thread and reading the comments so far I have to point out that it was never my intention to put the SD7 down. Perhaps I was rather brief in the advantages enumerated and did I dwell too much on the ( for me ) negatives so far.
As stated before I think the SD7 really shines in the live performances by Don and Deane, I seem to recall I even called Don + SD7 a match made in heaven. Knowing their own proficiency and the public they address themselves to I would imagine this to be close to perfection even without the promised update.
Despite all that I have come to the conclusion that it is not going to be MY next keyboard. Like I said before I will sit in the wings, try and amass a fortune smile and maybe, just maybe give the PA4X a chance. After all I passed on the PA3X and have had " to make do " with the PA800 so far. No regrets mind you.

regards,
John

P.S. I concur with Deane's remark that anyone not having first hand experience with the instrument should be wary in what one is saying........

#407774 - 09/05/15 09:36 AM Re: My views on the Ketron SD7 [Re: john smies]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: john smies

P.S. I concur with Deane's remark that anyone not having first hand experience with the instrument should be wary in what one is saying........

Plus one here.

Case in point, I never had intentions of buying a Pa3x, but 2 years after it's release I went to Frankieve's store and played one, I ordered one from Frank a day later. In my opinion you have to play one and all the talk is fine but we all have our own taste and expectations. In October I'll be staying a short drive away from Lloyd aka Tyrosman5, I hope to visit with him and hear the SD7 side by side with the Tyros5 76 that he has running thru the Nano 600s, my ears as bad as they maybe will tell me something at that point.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online