SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#407109 - 08/19/15 09:20 AM Best position for 2nd keyboard
Bachus Offline

For thos people using 2 keyboards, what is your favourite position of the 2nd keyboard...

As close as possible above the 1st keyboard, to give organ like options?

l keyboard like the Roland A-88 works miracles for that..

Or would do you prefer having some space between both keyboards, so you can have keyboards with a controll interface available, how much space do you keep between these keyboards, and whats the angle of the top one...

As many know i am a big fan of having both an 88 key piano action keybed as well as a semi weighted synth/organ keybed..

The only thing thats awkward with having such a setup is the fact that the arrqanger keyboard is allways the top one. because having the 88 key on top just does not work when playing piano.

Its an awkward situation with no TOTL arrangers in 88 key format available. And thats why for me from a ergonomic point of view the Roland A-88 works much better then the Kronos. But then i dont want to miss the sonic sound capabilities of the Kronos.

Long time agon, there was a Korg M3, wich allowed you to put the arranger directly on top of the M3 keybed and the M3 keybed behind the arranger, which also worked quite well..

In the end having an 88 key version of T5 would solve all my problems, but that isnt to be... Myabe an 99 key version of the upcomming montage that also boasts all the T5 features?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407113 - 08/19/15 01:32 PM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When I used multiple keyboards...I preferred my most comfortable (best) keyboard, flat and at the best playing height. I also preferred to play left hand bass from the same keyboard in split mode...

If I added a keyboard for bass, it Sat on the left side just above the main board.

If I added another synth for color, it would sit above the main and bass keyboards, leaving space to change control on the main...I would tilt the color keyboard for visual and better playability..

I also kept my rack synth (midied) to the main and color keynboards, off to my right....mixer on top of the rack case..

I am so glad a single keyboard can do it all (G70)..😌

#407114 - 08/19/15 01:48 PM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I agree Fran Less is More..

#407115 - 08/19/15 02:21 PM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My favorite multiple keyboard set-ups are: (1): the arranger at the bottom, with a 61 note piano on top, or (2) Arranger on bottom, Roland synth on top, and 73 note or 88 note piano at my right at 90 degrees from the other two.

Choice depends on the length of a job (I'll bring more equipment for a house job....a lot less for a few hours). Money also influences how much equipment ends up on the stand.

Russ

#407116 - 08/19/15 02:30 PM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am not a pianist like Bachus so my preference is the same as Fran's color board example. Whereas, any of my total boards are quite capable by themselves, once in a while I may take my BK-9 for my main, and maybe, the S910 for my top color board. and then, only for 3-4 hour dinner gigs. The placement is like Fran's with the second board up enough to reach the controls, and tilted.

I am not a button pusher by nature, and like to have variety at my fingertips for immediate use, and by using midi, I can interact any way I want.

However, usually I don't think it is worth the trouble except as above.

#407123 - 08/19/15 11:51 PM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango

I am so glad a single keyboard can do it all (G70)..😌

Soundwise you are right, a single keyboard like G70 or Tyros5 can do it all...

But i dont think there is a Keybed that allows you to do both play piano and organ parts optimally, even the awesome keybed of the G70 is a trade off... As said, i do want a high quallity 88 hammer action piano keybed, with not to light action, and its extremely hard to play fast Organ pieces or glissandos at those..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407125 - 08/20/15 05:28 AM Re: Best position for 2nd keyboard [Re: Bachus]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I use 2 keyboards...I use a Tyros Twinset. At present T2 plus NP30 as lower, this set as per organ, the lower set to dummy volume zero just to triggering the lower Tyros lower styles & left hand voice. Used this for past 3years and for my home playing works and looks good.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online