SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#40499 - 01/29/05 03:47 AM Technics --- Yamaha
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I own, play and love my KN 7000 -- it's the best, it makes me want to play.
For a second keyboard I bought a KN2600 --I did not like it. The KN 2600 is a good keyboard, but after playing the KN7 the KN2600 did not make me happy. So I bought a used Yamaha PSR 2100.
I am truly enjoying this keyboard, it's fun to work with. It is not a heavy keyboard, only 23 lbs. And it has a good Volcalizer. You can even program the type of harmony you want. Yamaha has given it's users more in-dept and easier controls in almost every feature. You can do so much more.The sequencer is lacking.

This keyboard is fun because it approaches music performance differently. I take my keyboard stand with a mic stand attached -- place the 2100 on it -- attach the mic to the keyboard -- run a wire to my amplified 10" amplified speaker or speakers -- Push the start button on my computer and I'm ready. Stand, keyboard, mic and amplifier -- life just became easier.

But, ----- after playing the Yamaha PSR 2100 and going to my KN7000, it's like going form a Ford/Chevy to a Rolls Royce. Yamaha made life easier and Technics gave us quality in construction, and richness in clarity and sound. Apples and pears not to be compared.

I just had a need to share some of my feelings about my two keyboards,
I'm having one good time, John C.

#40500 - 01/29/05 06:30 AM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
I know axactly what you mean. I have a KN7000 and a PSR3000 and enjoy them both. I feel the same as you about them. You're right about the quality as well as the features.

Marilyn

#40501 - 01/29/05 09:25 AM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I on the other hand still have my kn2600 and it is ideal for the motorhome where it is used as the KN7 is too big and heavy to transport it in and out. I find the only drawback to the KN26 is that only other KN26 keyboards can hear anything I record so I don't send out any KN26 files.
Yamaha.
I bought a new 9000 and added a hard drive, a cd-r, 65 mgs of sampling ram, a lot of user styles, and I played it less then a week to decide I die not like it in comparison to the technics. Consequently it sits here on a rack, covered, and unplayed until some time, someone will want to buy it and give it a home.
I will prolly move to the Korg Paix or pro, when I get the bug so bad i have to have a new keyboard.
I am getting the Americana Series SD sortware from Technote from my birthday so that will extend the life of the KN7 for me.
Thanks for your imputs John and Marilyn. I don't disagree with you, just that maybe if I had bought a small lightweight Yamaha I might feel differently about it.
Bebop

#40502 - 01/29/05 11:51 AM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
It may not be fair to compare the top of the line Technics KN7000 to a much lower priced PSR2100, or the KN2600. The 7000 is priced at least twice as much, or more, so it should be better.

Dollar for Dollar, the PSR3000 is the best keyboard available...IMHO.

Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#40503 - 01/29/05 12:47 PM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
Walter McLaren Offline

Loc: Borders. Scotland
Agreed Larry, I have a Tyros, (brilliant)! Three friends now have the 3000.
Great value. Walter.

#40504 - 01/29/05 03:06 PM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
Marilyn Boissoneault Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Florida, USA
Bebop, the PSR9000 had a reputation of having a steep learning curve. The newer Yammie keyboards don't have that. The Tyros, PSR2000/2100 and the PSR3000 all have the newer easier operating system. You might stop by a music store somtime and test drive the newer Yammie's. You might like them as an compliment to your Technic's.

Larry, you are probably right on it not being fair to compare the top of the line Techinic's to a midrange Yamaha. I enjoy both of them.

Marilyn

#40505 - 01/29/05 08:05 PM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I bought a Tyros when they first came out. I played them side-by-side for three months. It was difficult because I like the Tyros, but the construction and sounds were not as good as the Kn7.
I recorded the same song on each keyboard. Played them back and listened so very carefully. The KN7000 in my opinion was a lot better.

But ---- the criteria I used to judge was clarity, construction and sound. The KN 7 was better.

But --- my point is that the PSR2100 a less expensive keyboard out performed my Kn7 on the job. The keyboard gave much more of what I needed to do a better job. I feel it was made for the performing muscian, whatever I needed was there, and it was friendly. The reason I compared the two keyboards was that I was amazed at all the features that Yamaha had and I had to tell someone. I have been a loyal Technics player for the last 12 years, and maybe I have a little touch of guilt. Hmmm!

But --- (there's that word again) in my home, for my enjoyment, my pleasure, the Kn7 is a winner. It sounds like the real thing. I felt the same way when I owned a wersi keyboard and the Delta organ. The sounds were fantastic.Both were very difficult to use.

Now all the above is not any more than my humble opinion, it is what I hear and feel.

Have a special day, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 01-29-2005).]

#40506 - 01/29/05 09:04 PM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bebop,
I tend to agree with Marilyn. I had the 9000 pro ( before I got the kn7) and I really couldn't get into it. The manual was lacking in detail and I couldn't do a lot of the things ( mainly style editing etc) that I believed I could.
I had a brief glance at the psr2000's when they first came out. It appeared far more user friendly than the 9000's. (still couldn't do the style editing I wanted , so gave it a miss), but it was a more user friendly board. I can imagine that the newer one's , must be even better.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marilyn Boissoneault:
[B]Bebop, the PSR9000 had a reputation of having a steep learning curve. The newer Yammie keyboards don't have that. The Tyros, PSR2000/2100 and the PSR3000 all have the newer easier operating system.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#40507 - 01/30/05 01:42 PM Re: Technics --- Yamaha
technicsplayer Offline

the psr3000 styles are better than the tyros in a lot of cases, not surprisingly since later, hence the tyros premium pack.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online