SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#399677 - 02/19/15 01:45 PM Going Solo?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Turned 66 this month. Been playing in groups for 50+ years...mostly guitar, mandolin, bass and you name it with strings.

When my hands(left hand mostly)turned bad three years ago, and I had a hard time playing acoustic instruments, I turned to a keyboard arranger and started to learn to play keyboard.

Now, as most of you define it, I will never be a keyboard player. I'm playing in the key of C most of the time. But I am playing gigs.

Here's the thing. I don't know how to play solo. By that I mean I don't know how to play without friends around me.

My Tyros does most of what the guys I played with do...sounds just as good and, for the most part, the audience doesn't miss the extra players.

I'm a good entertainer..just by myself, do well with crowds but like another musicians need the security the security of other players.

Maybe it's time for me to go on my own???

What do you all think? I love the music and want to play.

Gary does it, I know it can be done.

Rog L

Edited by guitpic1 (02/19/15 01:55 PM)

#399681 - 02/19/15 03:54 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Go for it, Roger. If I can do it, you can too.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#399683 - 02/19/15 04:01 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Go watch many other solo KB acts & ask yourself if it's for you?
There's much to learn & many aspects of being a solo performer, many of your questions can only be answered by YOU,...good luck.

Edited by Dnj (02/19/15 04:02 PM)

#399687 - 02/19/15 05:44 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Rog,
Do it. If you succeed you’ll feel real good. If there is some reason you do not stay with it you will have given it a try – then you can put it away.

“I only regret the things I did not do in my life not the things I have done.”

Hmmmm, good thought.
John C.

#399690 - 02/19/15 06:16 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
It was kept me from getting a real job for more than 40 years!

#399691 - 02/19/15 06:29 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Rog ... the unfortunate part about becoming a OMB is that you are out working while your band mates are sitting at home ... the fortunate part about becoming a OMB is that YOU are out working while your band mates are sitting at home ...
I hear you about the 'security' thing ... when I moved to Rhode Island and left the band in NY - after 26 years playing together - I didn't play a gig for seven years ... my wife knew how much I loved playing and convinced me to get some business cards made up and try to get some gigs ... the first place I auditioned for hired me and I have been working ever since - 23 years - ... not as much as some of the guys here, but enough to keep me happy ...
Give it a go, and best of luck ...

#399696 - 02/19/15 07:52 PM Re: Going Solo? [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Roger:

We've never met... but so many have told you to give it a try. If performing is not your thing without bandmates around you... consider writing and recording you own songs and do what you can to get them in front of vocalists looking for new material. It is not an easy pathway because there is so much competition... but if you have the singing and playing style to pull it off... they might just form a queue outside your door.

When all is said and done, do what makes you feel the best. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Best of luck,

Dave Rice - Songwriter

#399710 - 02/20/15 07:07 AM Re: Going Solo? [Re: Riceroni9]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Roger, I was a guitar player first, like you. When my B-3 playing partner retired, I tried 8 or so keyboard players and finally decided to do it myself. You have a real advantage, since you understand structure and will be able to figure out the material you already know on guitar on keyboards.

If you do a OMB act, keep the guitar for variety. You may have to switch to an acoustic or hibred, but it's a nice change of pace. If you were a lead player, many I know sequece some tunes and play over them.

A GOOD attitude is not that you switched to OMB but expanded your involvement to include OMB. It's really nice to play a gig with other players once in a while.

If the money is right, I often add a player or two just for the interplay.

However you decide to do it, stick with it and you will be much better off for the experience.

GOOD LUCK!

Russ

#399716 - 02/20/15 08:03 AM Re: Going Solo? [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Thanks for the encouragement all. Very helpful. I'll keep the guitar handy for a bit of variety.

Part of the reason for going solo is that my wife still works part time and can't play day gigs...which most of them are around here...at sr. centers, etc.

I won't ever be that good I don't think on the keyboard, but I will have to say I haven't had this much fun learning a new instrument since I started the mandolin almost 30 years ago.

Thanks all.

Rog L

#399719 - 02/20/15 08:36 AM Re: Going Solo? [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

Rog, you have all the ingredients. Stage experience, ability, desire, and having fun. Okay, go bake the cake!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online