Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#399468 - 02/12/15 05:56 AM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: abacus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: abacus
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Here's a link to the Yamaha style for this song for anyone that wants it. Hotel California

Enjoy,

Gary cool

And here’s the rub that pastes the arranger as a less than professional instrument, in that users are prepared to play along to someone else’s work, rather than creating or playing their own. (Until this practice stops, arrangers will never be taken seriously) It’s also probably why the term Karaoke Player came about.

Bill

Bill, you don't play along with the style, you play using the style. Karaoke it ain't! What is the difference between using this modified style and a factory style? Obviously, NONE!

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#399475 - 02/12/15 11:31 AM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Here's a link to the Yamaha style for this song for anyone that wants it. Hotel California

Enjoy,

Gary cool

And here’s the rub that pastes the arranger as a less than professional instrument, in that users are prepared to play along to someone else’s work, rather than creating or playing their own. (Until this practice stops, arrangers will never be taken seriously) It’s also probably why the term Karaoke Player came about.

Bill

Bill, you don't play along with the style, you play using the style. Karaoke it ain't! What is the difference between using this modified style and a factory style? Obviously, NONE!

Cheers,

Gary cool

Big difference, everybody that uses the factory style will sound the same as everybody else, whereas the modified style is unique to you, thus you stand out and become in great demand, whereas those that use standard styles are viewed by the general punter as karaoke players which are available at 50 a dime.

Bill

#399476 - 02/12/15 12:06 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: abacus]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

Enjoy,

Gary cool

Bill

Cheers,

Gary cool

Big difference, everybody that uses the factory style will sound the same as everybody else, whereas the modified style is unique to you, thus you stand out and become in great demand, whereas those that use standard styles are viewed by the general punter as karaoke players which are available at 50 a dime.

Bill

As long as I am enjoying performing, the audience is enjoying the music and dancing, and I'm even getting paid well to have fun, you can call me a Karaoke player. However never once have I ever heard that from an audience member. The comment I usually get is "It's amazing the sounds you get out of that keyboard"

Regards,

Jerryghr

#399477 - 02/12/15 12:20 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: travlin'easy]
Kytrinh Offline

Loc: Australia

Enjoy,

Gary cool

Thank you for sharing Gary..
Keep well
Ky

#399478 - 02/12/15 12:22 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: abacus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Bill

Have two piano players, one a beginner, and one more advanced, play from the same piece of sheet music (same exact arrangement/accompaniment...same piano)) and it's highly likely that you will be able to tell one from the other.

In fact, have two pro piano players play from the same exact piece of sheet of music and invaruiblky there will be didtinct differences.

Arranger performers (those who actually play the instrument) using the same style will more than likely sound different...sometimes even quite different...even on identical instruments.

Now let's see...

"Punter"... Noun (plural "punters")
1.One who bets (punts) against the bank (banque).
2.One who oars or poles a punt (pontoon).
3.One who punts a football.
4.(UK, slang) one who gambles. See speculator.
5.(UK, slang) A customer of a commercial establishment, frequently of a pub or (alternatively) of a prostitute.
6.(climbing) A beginner or unskilled climber

Wow, Bill, you know the craziest audiences.

Ian

#399479 - 02/12/15 01:06 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: Jerryghr]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Jerryghr

As long as I am enjoying performing, the audience is enjoying the music and dancing, and I'm even getting paid well to have fun, you can call me a Karaoke player. However never once have I ever heard that from an audience member. The comment I usually get is "It's amazing the sounds you get out of that keyboard"

Regards,

Jerryghr

Actually, Jerry, in all the years I've been using an Arranger Keyboard, I have never been called a "Karaoke player" either...not even once.

One thing for certain...being able to adapt my playing style to the arranger Keyboard really added to the work I was already getting as a sideman and/or a solo piano player, not to mention the instrument's incredible usefulness as a studio tool.

Someone playing a simple melody lines over commercial SMF for the duration of their gig, might be construed as a "karaoke player", but not a player who is playing full piano parts over a midi file (especially of their own making) or, a performer using a well chosen and appropriate accompaniment Style (and the proper chord changes) and playing melody lines that make good use of the Arranger's many instrument emulations.

When you think of it, an Arranger performer playing chords with the left hand and soloing and/or adding embellishments over the changes with the RH isn't much different than what the keyboardist in a band is doing throughout a gig.

We just give the drummer, bass player, guitarist, and string and horn players the night off.

Ian

#399481 - 02/12/15 01:17 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: ianmcnll]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
[quote=Jerryghr]

We just give the drummer, bass player, guitarist, and string and horn players the night off.

Ian

Without pay too. dance

Regards,

Jerryghr

#399485 - 02/12/15 01:45 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Enjoy,
Gary cool

This is a terrific style, Gary and one of a group of excellent mega-voiced song styles available a few years ago. Thanks for sharing the link.
Also, if one wants to add a bit of variation and more of their own take on Hotel California, the style Contemporary Pop Ballad, which is on Tyros2/3/4 (and perhaps Tyros5 and PSR-950/750/910) will work exceptionally well.
This style is also available for free for those with Yamaha arranger instruments not listed above, at PSR Tutorial in the Yamaha Styles section.
http://psrtutorial.com/sty/yamaha/index.html
Ian

I would really like to hear those styles, to compare them to different styles on my Pa900 ...

#399489 - 02/12/15 02:01 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: Kytrinh]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Tony, I'll try to record it for you this evening.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#399490 - 02/12/15 02:35 PM Re: How about these Folks!!., [Re: Kytrinh]
ianmcnll Offline

Tony, the inner parts of the Tyros2/3/4/CVP/PSR Contemporary Pop Ballad are very similar to the Hotel California style that Gary shared...Variations A, B, C, work exceptionally well for the verses and Variation D is perfect for the chorus.

Of course, the Contemporary Pop Ballad's intros (and endings) are different (even among the various Tyros and CVP-PSR), but they really work nicely with the tune and can even be repeated throughout the song to provide some tasty interludes/breaks.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online