SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21 >
Topic Options
#399123 - 02/04/15 03:09 PM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nice work, Gary ... way to go ... enjoy ...

#399133 - 02/05/15 04:20 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: btweengigs]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Congrats Gary!

#399146 - 02/05/15 07:32 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys. One of the things I've discovered in my travels is that there are very few arranger keyboard players in the Florida Keys. Apparently, I'm the only one on Marathon, there is one in Big Pine, one in Key West, and one in Key Largo - that's it. The guy in Key West is booked every day of the week, as is the guy in Key Largo. I just got here two weeks ago and I'm booked three days a week.

Essentially, arranger keyboard players are an unknown quantity here, but once established, they're in high demand. Guitar players, piano players, DJs and KJs are a dime a dozen here, and from those I've met, most make $50 to $75 a night, where the keyboard players are hauling in $100 to $200 a night, plus tips, for three hours. To my knowledge, all of these keyboard players are pretty good vocalists as well, which has to be a big plus. Most of the guitar players are singers as well, but they tend to all try and sound like Randy Travis or Willie Nelson and need some lessons in diction and phrasing. And, most of the non-keyboard players take excessively long breaks, at least that's what the folks doing the hiring tell me.

I got a call this morning and was asked if I would be returning next fall, which I will. I was then told that I would have a job as soon as I arrived playing one of the local restaurants every Wednesday and Saturday - NEAT! Guess I must be doing something right.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#399147 - 02/05/15 07:40 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Thanks guys. One of the things I've discovered in my travels is that there are very few arranger keyboard players in the Florida Keys. Apparently, I'm the only one on Marathon, there is one in Big Pine, one in Key West, and one in Key Largo - that's it. The guy in Key West is booked every day of the week, as is the guy in Key Largo. I just got here two weeks ago and I'm booked three days a week.

Essentially, arranger keyboard players are an unknown quantity here, but once established, they're in high demand. Guitar players, piano players, DJs and KJs are a dime a dozen here, and from those I've met, most make $50 to $75 a night, where the keyboard players are hauling in $100 to $200 a night, plus tips, for three hours. To my knowledge, all of these keyboard players are pretty good vocalists as well, which has to be a big plus. Most of the guitar players are singers as well, but they tend to all try and sound like Randy Travis or Willie Nelson and need some lessons in diction and phrasing. And, most of the non-keyboard players take excessively long breaks, at least that's what the folks doing the hiring tell me.

I got a call this morning and was asked if I would be returning next fall, which I will. I was then told that I would have a job as soon as I arrived playing one of the local restaurants every Wednesday and Saturday - NEAT! Guess I must be doing something right.

Cheers,

Gary cool

Time to MOVE permanently south....enjoy your life's dreams buddy while you can!! Arranger KB & palm trees its a No Brainer!!

Good Luck.

#399152 - 02/05/15 09:22 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, I would have moved here 35 years ago, but I would have to get divorced to do it. eek

Gary cool

#399154 - 02/05/15 09:33 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Donny, I would have moved here 35 years ago, but I would have to get divorced to do it. eek

Gary cool

Win-win situation!

JUST JOKING CAROL!!
smile

#399155 - 02/05/15 09:35 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

Gary cool

Hey, MAN UP! You just have to call her bluff. BTW, I assume no responsibility for any consequences resulting from following my advice smile smile.

chas

Edited by cgiles (02/05/15 09:36 AM)

#399162 - 02/05/15 11:10 AM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
get your kids to move, Carol will be happy, and it's a done deal ...

#399166 - 02/05/15 01:06 PM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

Chas, I'm sure glad that Carol doesn't frequent this forum - I have to sleep sometime.

Tony, the kids, at least for the time being, are stuck in Maryland. Jobs, schools, etc..., stuff I no longer have to worry about. So, while they would love to live down here, it just ain't gonna happen.

Cheers,

Gary cool

#399169 - 02/05/15 02:10 PM Re: Where in the world is Gary [Re: btweengigs]
travlin'easy Offline

It's a rainy day in the Florida Keys, but only light rain. Temperature is just 69 degrees after the cold front passed, and I got to go outside and video what it looks like every morning when I walk out on the patio and enjoy breakfast.

And here's what we use for a door stop in the Florida Keys

Page 9 of 21 < 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online