SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#398452 - 01/20/15 07:09 AM Keyboard sound..improve with age?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I guess it's been a while since I asked a dumb question...so here goes.

Do keyboards improve their sound with age?

My question comes from reading a few things.

One, there seems to be folks on this forum that will hang on to keyboards for years and/or buy older keyboards because they like the sound.

Two, some guitars that are well built of wood are known to improve with age and will 'open up'. I've had guitars for years(not keyboards for years) so I know this is true in some cases.

My assumption would be that keyboards do no improve but wear out as do any electronic devices. That said, my experience is limited so I don't really know.

Thoughts?

Tx

Edited by guitpic1 (01/20/15 07:10 AM)

#398454 - 01/20/15 08:41 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Maybe if it is a piano, but not arrangers or synths.
What's funny to me is that when they first starting trying to emulate pianos with electric keyboards, such as Wurlitzer, Fender Rhodes, etc., and organs with such as Farfisa, they were pale imitations. Over the years people have began to think of those sounds as "vintage" and strive to emulate them. Go figure.
smile

#398460 - 01/20/15 09:33 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I agree, Don ... KBs are electronic ... what would make the sounds of an electronic sound generator improve with age ... the only thing I can think of is - our EARS ... wink

#398461 - 01/20/15 09:44 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

when your hearing is shot to Hell, lots of things sound better. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#398468 - 01/20/15 10:36 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Older ones yes (Up to a point) specifically the old analogue ones, but then start to go downhill with age. (Capacitors are the biggest culprit)

Most modern keyboards are also a yes, as most manufactures bring out software updates that improve the sound and features of the models during the production run, but apart from that, no.

Players get used to a particular type of sound (Even though it may not be the best out there) and this is the reason they hold on to older boards. (There is always the nostalgia element as well)

Bill

#398469 - 01/20/15 10:53 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

the only thing that improves with age is your playing abilities....

#398471 - 01/20/15 11:13 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
The keyboard sound won't improve with age but your familiarity with the instrument definitely does. And with that you workflow and creativity. It follows then that you can make your instrument sound better with age and skill. This is certainly one of the reasons why I have held onto my old workhorse keyboard for so long

#398473 - 01/20/15 11:56 AM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Some players believe that some electro-acoustic instruments, like tone wheel organs (Hammond, specifically), or Rhodes and Wurlitzer "electric" pianos (as opposed to "electronic" pianos) seem to grow "character" with age...of course, that will also depend on the player's definition of "character". They do, however, eventually reach a stage where the instrument starts to become unplayable/unmanageable and will need refurbishing to some degree.

As far as other electronic instruments? They tend to deteriorate with age, and, the only change in sound occurs when it stops, and the unit ceases to function due to a bad/worn out component...this includes our Arranger Keyboards.

Some older synthesizers are prized due to the inherent inconsistencies of analog oscillators, but again, it will depend on how severe the discrepancies...manufactures get around this to some degree by using digital oscillators (stable tuning) but keeping analog filters.

As Spalding significantly points out above, what does improve is our interaction/familiarity with the instrument the longer we own it. This is why Spalding has kept his older Korg, Fran has held on to his G-70, and I intend to stay with the Tyros4. We no longer waste time learning protocol, and instead have more time to actually create music.

Ian

#398475 - 01/20/15 12:04 PM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Not me, I hope the last arranger I order arrives before I die. Love new stuff and new challenges. As long as the challenges are not TOO big. smile

#398478 - 01/20/15 12:44 PM Re: Keyboard sound..improve with age? [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Not me, I hope the last arranger I order arrives before I die. Love new stuff and new challenges. As long as the challenges are not TOO big. smile

Same with me, a new toy is a blessing.... Just love discovering them

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online