SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#39761 - 09/11/03 08:01 AM ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
There is a rumor out that there may be a windows operating system in a new keyboard coming out. This would be one of the world's greatest mistakes. I believe this would create an entire new world of piano players
I own 11 keyboards now and have had maybe 20 others so I have enough to last me from my age on. I want you to know that I will never buy a keyboard with a windows operating system, and I doubt that many current member/player/musicians will.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!
BEBOP

#39762 - 09/11/03 09:13 AM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Bebop, this is Grandpa Doug. I have run Mac here in my business (three of them) since 1986. Have played around with the other ones and other than finding the OS rather clumsy why do you say what you say? My personal Mac that I use for the net and my music endeavors has never had any problems with worms or virus infections but other than that I wonder what's wrong with the Gates clumsy version of windows for keyboards. Sorry, I guess if you never used a Mac I suppose you would think MS Windows is a big improvement over the geek type of DOS. Guess I tend to always take the easy and elegant way.

Grandpa Doug

#39763 - 09/11/03 09:17 AM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI DOUG,
Thanks for your reply. I have no problem with Mac other then that they abandoned the music industry a lot of years ago, so we all ported over to Amigas. I still have the two hopped up Amiga 2500's that used to run this recording studio.
When Amiga died I had to port over to Windows and have had them all from 3.1 to current XP. I have been through all the windows ringers and would never consider a keyboard running windows.
Hope that answers your inquiery.
I want to compliment you on some excellent well thought out in depth posts that you have been making recently. You are appreciated
Best to you
Bebop

#39764 - 09/11/03 11:17 AM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
I am confused as to what would adding Windows to a keyboard bring about as far as advantages and disadvantages is concerned.

From the bad side:

Would it add a $1000 or more to the cost of the keyboard?

Would it require a colossal increase in memory size in the keyboard?

Would it detract from the keyboard's ability to create as good a quality sound and overall musical enjoyment?

Wouldl it take away from the manufacturer the freedom of doing it's own thing and not have to be restricted to Microsoft's whims. etc?

On the good side:

Would it make the manufacturer's job easier in that they could concentrate more on the musical creation side of their product, such as better sounds; patterns; etc., and leave the file management, storage, etc., to computer experts?

Maybe somebody could enlighten us on what the real issues would be if such a thing became reality.

Thanks,

Larry

#39765 - 09/11/03 12:41 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I for one, can see no advantage in incorporating Windows into any keyboard especially if it's of the XP variety.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#39766 - 09/11/03 01:30 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi folks,
with a 'healthy portion of resistance' I would plead for a more grown-up (technical) operation system in the keyboard. With my limited knowledge of this I could imagine that the nowadays O.S.system of the keyboards seems to me as by comparising DOS with Windows. Pointing at the whishlist from last july to Technics, I remember a lot of 'critique' at the 'un-user-friendliness' of the O.S, or something like that.
A 'compromise' could be: a easy and well working connection to a computer and all could be change by computer in the KN...

Cees

#39767 - 09/11/03 02:56 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Guys,
if I'm not mistaken, doesn't the rather expensive Wersi Keyboard run on a windows system ? or are you referring to something different?

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#39768 - 09/11/03 03:08 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
There is a rumor out that there may be a windows operating system in a new keyboard coming out. This would be one of the world's greatest mistakes. I believe this would create an entire new world of piano players
I own 11 keyboards now and have had maybe 20 others so I have enough to last me from my age on. I want you to know that I will never buy a keyboard with a windows operating system, and I doubt that many current member/player/musicians will.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!
BEBOP

NEVER say NEVER

#39769 - 09/11/03 05:06 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
technicsplayer Offline

what's new about this?
I must have played the abacus at the last 2 Frankfurt shows, so it's been around for several years at least?

#39770 - 09/11/03 06:39 PM Re: ATTENTION ALL KEYBOARD MANUFACTURERS.
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
I must really be thick in the head. What is wrong with windows OS in a keyboard? In plain language, what would be so bad about that? I think the skin is getting thinner but the head is getting thicker.

Grandpa Doug

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online