SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#396992 - 12/11/14 08:53 AM Ho Ho Ho but for how long?
Dnj Offline

I'm approaching 48 years of entertaining at 62 starting to get burned out day after they day how much can a man take? The first time the thought has cross mycrossed mind about wrapping it up retiring & going to parties sitting down in the audience instead of performing, I'm not saying I would do it yet but I have thought about it in my mind and pass off the baton after thousands of gigs..... Thoughts?

Edited by Dnj (12/11/14 08:58 AM)

#396994 - 12/11/14 08:58 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I spent a good portion of this past year not playing, except for an occasional party. It was nice being able to spend time with family and doing things that I had missed. But now, it is so good to be back working more!
It would drive you crazy DNJ!

#396995 - 12/11/14 09:01 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Don.... I hear you buddy.... Xmas season is nuts now with gigs... Can't wait for January to relax.

#396996 - 12/11/14 09:43 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Forget about how YOU feel ... think of how good you're making so many people feel ... party
Plus, you gotta make it while you can !!! rocker

#396998 - 12/11/14 09:59 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

So true Tony, .... If you don't care about the people you shouldn't be in the business.

#397008 - 12/11/14 11:42 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Donny
Your in an enviable position. You can decide when to stop instead of the other way around. Some older musican once told me "you don't quit the business, it quits you " and thats true as we all get older.
I'm sort of in a semi forced retirement here in Cape May. Bueatiful place to live but just not the action I was used to. But even with the lighter equipment and free time I have now I don't know if I could do the pace I used to do, or would want to.
If you go cold turkey you'll regret it. I'd say just slow down and take the jobs you like the most.
I think we all got into the "take everything we can mode" years ago but when you step back and think about it maybe it is time to slow down a bit and look in other directions. Just don't take up Golf -- too damn hard LOL !!!

#397013 - 12/11/14 04:16 PM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I've cut back by a substantial margin, but I still play just about every day of the week, every week of the year. And, on the days when I'm not performing, I'm trying to learn new songs - at least new for my song list.

Yes, I am thinking seriously about retirement, but for me that would be a 50 percent cutback from my current schedule. Tonight, I performed at an upscale retirement community, one that combined the staff Christmas Party with the residents party. The menu was absolutely incredible, the chef, a drop-dead gorgeous lady in her mid 30s, prepared some of the best food anyone could ask for. The opened Ruby Hall at 3 p.m., high school kids in tuxedos served the food to the crowd, and I fired up the keyboard, kicking off with Santa Claus Is Coming To Town using a rock style that is tailor made for the song. It was a 2-hour party, I never took a break, never slowed down, and kept the crowd, young and old, on the dance floor for the entire time. At the end of 2 hours, they asked if I could do another 30 minutes, to which I agreed. When the party finally ended, everyone was dancing, singing, and the wine flowed like water throughout the afternoon. The AD asked how much more that half hour was going to cost, and I told him, "Nothing - Merry Christmas," then handed him a miniature of Jim Beam Honey with a bow tied around the neck.

I guess when it stops being fun, I'll give it up, but at 74, I guess I'm still having fun and really don't want to stop. However, I know that with luck I may have another two years remaining, then my health will preclude the ability to perform. So, if you can keep on keeping on, why stop? I sure was I were 40 years younger, though.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#397019 - 12/12/14 05:18 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: travlin'easy]
Keith W. Bailey Offline

Loc: New Castle Indiana USA
I had to quit gigging last year, and I miss it, yet I had a long run playing for seniors. I sit on a bench at Walmart and people I played for would come up and say "I really enjoyed your music, when are you coming back to the home?" They really enjoyed the old music and probably did not miss me, but rather the hour of enjoyment that I provided! Keep on playing until your body says quit!

#397024 - 12/12/14 08:13 AM Re: Ho Ho Ho but for how long? [Re: Keith W. Bailey]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I never got the majority of satisfaction out of playing live, although I've done it for years.

My enjoyment comes from playing national level material; usually under tight deadlines....TV, film scores, etc.

Bless their hearts, but most people in an audience are not informed listeners.

I spend a lot of time in nursing homes with my advocacy group, and the great majority of players, singers, dancers; whatever are simply terrible. The bar is so low, quality-wise, at least around here.

I do appreciate the interpersonal relationship between the really sincere players, as I'm sure most of you guys who do nursing homes are, and know how much that work means to residents.

It's just that, around here, at least, people who do these facilities couldn't do anything else, talent-wise.

I'll work until I can't maintain my own pre-set level of production. I'll NEVER be a week-end warrior. That means that I'll continue my 50 year attempt to play myself out of a job (LOL)!

Have fun, whatever do. And please realize, my comments are intended to express my feelings about a portion of the business around here and are certainly not intended as a criticism of anyone who disagrees with me or does things differently.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online