SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3960 - 10/05/03 09:39 PM A look at keyboards past
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
My Brilliant Non-Career by Bill Kopp is a tour of his instruments over the years complete with descriptions and photos. A very enjoyable tour

#3961 - 10/06/03 03:33 AM Re: A look at keyboards past
tekminus Offline

Always nice to read about old keyboards. I've got the TR-505. The original samples are kinda boring, so I want to do some modifications to it and glitch it up. There are some awesome circuit bent mods done on them.

-tek

#3962 - 10/10/03 11:28 AM Re: A look at keyboards past
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Nigel
Hey -tek, I use a 606 to trigger / sequence my SH-7. I wonder if that's worth a try to do on your SH-5 with the 505? Nothing better than a blistering speed lead done with an SH-5 or 7. I've forever been trying to figure out a way to interface a "settings module" to create a patch system but have found that the only way to do it is to make another virtual synth and run an FET switching circuit to the filters. LOL If I live long enough to complete it, I will give you the schematic since we are among maybe a couple hundred musicians fortunate enough to have snagged a Roland true vintage all in one synth. Besides duophonic and layout, our synths are practically the same. Their parts list go hand in hand. I wish I could get my hands on one (the list).

#3963 - 10/10/03 11:47 AM Re: A look at keyboards past
tekminus Offline

Hey, don't forget another big difference between the 7 and the 5; The SH-7 filter is notoriously weak
I read a retro article in an old british mag, that the SH-7 filter is only 6dB/oct. Any truth to this? I think the SH-5 filter is 12 or 18dB/oct, sounds like it anyway, and then there's the separate bandpass filter. Both those synths are lovely though.

-tek

edit: The A-Z of Analogue Synthesizers, by Peter Forrest says the SH-7 has a 24dB/oct filter, so screw the British

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-10-2003).]

#3964 - 10/10/03 11:50 AM Re: A look at keyboards past
tekminus Offline

Oh and I'd love a 606! They're going for like 5000 Swedish krona here, which is like $650 US.

#3965 - 10/10/03 06:10 PM Re: A look at keyboards past
Anonymous
Unregistered

What? LOL Yeah so weak they said, 'hey this synthe is so weak, lets do the underscore of Starwars with it then.' They all agreed how weak it was and so it was selected for it's weakness,LOL of course that's a weak underscore too LOL

well hell I'm not sure really I never did put it on the spectrum but I've never really run out of room spanning the filters. it will usually go up and past into some new realm of sound. no squealing or popping either unless forced to by too narrow of modulation. Not sure but I doubt it's limit is that little. I mean you know, move that slide enough and you can really wreck that sound and change it into something completely different. LOL uh geese....they call that morphing i think.

Edit:
really? for a 606? jumpin mackeral that's no chump change for my little shit box I use to boss the 7 around with. trying to think of what makes it so special? The thing is as strict as a nun with a yardstick (or....well, a meterstick?)

[This message has been edited by Morphamatik (edited 10-10-2003).]

#3966 - 10/11/03 01:12 AM Re: A look at keyboards past
tekminus Offline

I remember the review guy said it was his first synthesizer (the SH-7). Maybe he had the filter level or env-sensitivity knob down all those years

I've looked at some specs of the SH-5 and the main VCF is 24dB in LP mode, 12dB for HP and BP. The separate BP filter is 18dB/oct.

-tek

[This message has been edited by tekminus (edited 10-11-2003).]

#3967 - 10/22/03 08:09 PM Re: A look at keyboards past
djboomstick Offline

Loc: newyork
i was just showing one of those magnus chord organs to a guy at work today , he was looking for a substitute for an accordian , i even showed the guy how to very the amount it sucked , he seemed to like that but for some reason didnt wanna purchace it , hummmmm

#3968 - 10/22/03 09:01 PM Re: A look at keyboards past
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey Tek!
Can you think of any good websites on pre-amps, how the different tube pre-amps work etc.
thanks in advance man.

-ED-

#3969 - 10/23/03 12:47 PM Re: A look at keyboards past
tekminus Offline

I don't know much about pre-amps or tubes. I'm not exactly a microphone user. I do own a cheap JJ Labs condenser mic though. Just for vocoder fun with the Nord.

-tek

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online