SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#392217 - 08/26/14 01:36 PM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

The second half of this August has been one of the coldest I can remember here in the west of Germany. The monthly maximum just reached a disappointing 81F in the first week of August.
We had to TURN ON THE HEATING four days ago, as the indoor temperature dropped below 65F - this hasn't ever happened before in August.
Today, there were new all-time low records: in Hannover it went down to 38F at night, and near Hamburg it dipped below 32F on ground level. I can't believe it.

#392313 - 08/28/14 05:47 PM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Rosetree, this is the coolest and rainiest August I've ever seen. They say it's the tenth coldest since 1892. Last winter was awfully cold for a long time here in Western Colorado and they are predicting a colder winter this year. Where's Al Gore hidding?

#392327 - 08/29/14 12:13 AM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: brickboo]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
August has been very hot here in California.

#392330 - 08/29/14 04:59 AM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

I'm just using this thread to post unusual weather events, but I don't connect it to the climate change question,because you can't conclude anything from singular local conditions. In Germany the picture was totally split, in the west it was rainy, but on the Baltic Sea it was one of the warmest, sunniest summers ever. Crazily, northern Sweden had 89F once when we were in the low 70s.
Maybe we could start a weather thread without a title that connects it to the climate change topic, as it's misleading.

#395716 - 11/11/14 01:03 AM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Personally I will agree with 97% of climate scientists that agree that global warming is real. If you want to agree with the 3% that don't and politicians that don't have a clue ... I would be happy to play poker against you because you don't understand odds.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

#395723 - 11/11/14 05:56 AM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think it would be very negligent to deny that there has been global warming since the 19th century. The upward trend has been clearly measured. It is only wrong to take a few single heat waves as a proof of it or a few cold winters (in one region of the world) to prove it wrong.

#395733 - 11/11/14 08:05 AM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: tony mads usa]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
1st of all there is no such thing as global warming, it is a term coined by the media and used by those who haven’t a clue what they are on about.

Climate change however has been going on ever since the earth came into existence, with temperatures way beyond anything that so called climate scientists come out with both hot and cold. (There idea of gloom is quite cold actually)

The question that needs to be asked (And all professional scientists agree) is how much of the warming over the last century, (The temperature has been relatively static since almost the beginning of this century) has been caused by humans and the truth is: nobody knows for sure, but all agree it has had an impact.

Taking into account that the earth’s temperature over the century’s constantly varies between ice age and extremely hot (Virtually no ice caps) putting all your eggs into one basket is suicidal, thus along with reducing our emissions, we should also be ploughing money into our defences so that we can survive the inevitable higher temperatures.

As per usual; there is more money to be made by going green (Both by companies and politicians) then focussing on what needs to be done. (This is one human trait that never changes)

Bill

#395756 - 11/11/14 03:00 PM Re: Global warming ?!? ... [Re: abacus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: abacus
1st of all there is no such thing as global warming, it is a term coined by the media and used by those who haven’t a clue what they are on about.

I wouldn't disqualify the people who use the term "global warming" like that. Scientists use the term, too. Your statement that there is no such thing like global warming is a joke. Of course there is a clear upward trend in the global average temperature (as written in the article posted), and an upward trend in global temperature can be called global warming.
Regarding the difference of the two terms, this is a good link:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/2011/...ke-a-difference

The main difference between the two terms is that climate change involves more parameters than just temperature, it takes account of a change in precipitation, wind speed etc.

But the point I absolutely agree with you is that a lot of people are more interested in benefitting from the topic themselves instead of providing objective information about it.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online