SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3943 - 05/09/02 03:51 AM ?'s for Uncle Dave
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Its my understanding your the man with some answers, and some answers would be greatly appreciated.
Heres my rig:

Cubase 5.0
2x2 midisport usb to midi port
(1) sampler
(1) sound module
(2) KB controllers

I can't get cubase to allow me to have 2 different controllers controlling 2 different sound modules on 2 different midi out ports on two different channals. Cubase only allows one channel selected at a time. And thats one channal on one port. I want to be able to use two different channels on two different ports to control my modules.
Hooking one controller up to the in port A and one to the inport B does not work. The problem lies in cubase as it wont allow me to play multiple kbs.
If you can help me, that would be great.

#3944 - 05/09/02 04:06 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'd love to help, but my area of strength is live performing. I've never used Cubase, but it sounds like you already know of a limitation, huh?
I dabble with Cakewalk and Power Tracks Pro, but I only do minor edits to sequences, like key change, tempo change, volume chganges etc.....
When I record audio in my studio it's done on a VSR880 with all outboard effects and mixer. I like the look and feel of knobs when I engineer.
Sorry I couldn't help, but thanx for the words of support anyway !
(I do have a lot of useless info floating around my bald head, too bad it's not what you needed!)

#3945 - 05/13/02 02:52 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
I don't use cubase as well, but isn't there an option that you can select per track, which patch and which channel you are going to use?

In other words, you choose all midi outs in your cubase setup, and in your project (whatever it is called in cubase?) you select for each track your midi devices!
This is how I do it in sonar and how I did it it in all the versions of cakewalk.

(I use very often 6 to 7 external midi devices in one song without a problem)

#3946 - 05/13/02 07:35 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Fred,

Yes, you select an instrument or patchname, a channel, and an output. All of this per track. I believe the problem is hooking all midi devices together.

#3947 - 05/13/02 07:57 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
kaboombahchuck Offline

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm not too sure about cubase (i got tired or fighting with it) but I can do it on Metro 5. Each track has to have a seperate instrument value for each track. Fortunately the program has "short cuts" in the edit port window.

#3948 - 05/14/02 09:50 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
kaboombahchuck,

you can do that in cubase.

#3949 - 05/15/02 12:28 PM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by sk880user:
Fred,

Yes, you select an instrument or patchname, a channel, and an output. All of this per track. I believe the problem is hooking all midi devices together.

mm... wright.
Best solution is a decent midipatchbay.
More reliable and faster, as the signal does not have to travel midi in-tru-midi in thru.
Secondly you do not have to configure your external devices each time for any new songsetup.

I don't know the midisport usb in fact what is it? If I read well it is a kind of midipatch bay??
He should select all channels out in basic set up.
And select the transfer channels within the song not in the setup of cubase!
It might be though that the drivers of cubase have a conflict with the usb midi-device.?

Optitone,
Did you try the cubase forum???

#3950 - 05/28/02 09:00 AM Re: ?'s for Uncle Dave
optinone Offline

Loc: St. Cloud, MN USA
Hey, I got it all figure out.
its like this

Options->
multirecord->
activate->
channel split->

A little "R" appears next to the mute track function on cubase arrange window, click there and select the appropriate input on the appropriate track for the controller.
that should do it.

thanks for the help guys!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online