SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#392776 - 09/06/14 10:57 AM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
To each his own, Donny...styles are the way for me and always have been. I don't sing, so I have to rely on other ways of making the performance more interesting, and midi files are way too restricting.

When I do back up a vocalist, either live, or in the studio, I use styles exclusively as well.

It's whatever works best for the player's needs.

Ian

#392780 - 09/06/14 12:46 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

It really amazes me to read the continued underlying animosity towards any other musical creation using an arranger KB to make music vs "automated styles". But it is said "To each his own," I guess...?

#392788 - 09/06/14 01:26 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Any "underlying animosity" is purely in your imagination, grasshopper, unless you just want to stir the pot a bit.

Some people just prefer using styles rather than midi files...get over it and move on to something more constructive before you hurt yourself.

That subject is simply overdone.

Ian

#392789 - 09/06/14 01:29 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Any "underlying animosity" is purely in your imagination, grasshopper, unless you just want to stir the pot a bit.

Some people just prefer using styles rather than midi files...get over it and move on to something more constructive.

That subject is simply overdone.

Ian

Ian chill dude .....it's only styles wink

#392790 - 09/06/14 01:35 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Donny, I wasn't the one who said anything about underlying animosity...I don't need to chill...I'm always cool!

Ian

#392791 - 09/06/14 01:37 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Happy Birthday tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
It really amazes me to read the continued underlying animosity towards any other musical creation using an arranger KB to make music vs "automated styles". But it is said "To each his own," I guess...?

ANIMOSITY?!? ... confused1

I fail to see any animosity in this post:

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
To each his own, Donny...styles are the way for me and always have been. I don't sing, so I have to rely on other ways of making the performance more interesting, and midi files are way too restricting.
When I do back up a vocalist, either live, or in the studio, I use styles exclusively as well.
It's whatever works best for the player's needs.
Ian

Anyway, I use it all - styles, midi files - off the I'net or created by myself, - mp3s that I create myself, etc. so I have NO ANIMOSITY towards any method of song performance...
That being said, I don't really see how a style is more restrictive or monotonous than a midi file or an mp3 ... Once the midi file or mp3 is created for a song, that is IT ... there is very little changing it 'on the fly', whereas with a style, it can be changed during a song performance by changing variations, throwing in breaks, changing background voices, - I have even used an 'ending' as a short solo in the middle of a tune ...
Of course, one can be very creative when making a midi file or mp3 backing track, and a player could have countless backing tracks, even different tracks for the same song, but as I said, once the individual track is created, it is not changing - not very much at least ...
But this debate could go on forever without anyone being right or wrong ...
So, whatever works best for the player's needs and "To each his own,"
keys singer

#392793 - 09/06/14 01:38 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I could feel it thruout this entire thread...not that it bothers me I\m just curious as to Why?

#392794 - 09/06/14 01:42 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Exactly, Tony...that's what I said in my post...whatever works best for the player's needs.

If I needed to use midi files, I'd have no problem with using them...but I don't, and I'm glad, because in my case, using styles gives me more control over an arrangement, especially if I want to make any spontaneous changes.

Sounds to me like it's more to do with a teensy weensy little insecurity issue than an animosity problem. wink

Ian

#392797 - 09/06/14 02:42 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Just some thoughts about the sequence (SMF) play and style (also sequenced) play.

There are benefits for both..

Styles allow freedom to change variations, fills etc..and mixing up chord changes..
it also allows for a style change (swing to bossa)..

But very few people will use style play in this manor..and usually play a tune identically..
every time..

SMF play does many of the same ...Instead of variations and fills,

a sequence uses markers (if you have never used markers ..you are missing the boat) .

Here is where SMF play edges out style play..realtime altering of parts, to be played live.
muting or
removing tracks..
are easier done in realtime than many arranger keyboards allow for styles.

16 seq parts plus realtime parts of a sequence can be used and altered..in real time.

only 8 in a style..

Another benefit for using sequences...being able to add lyrics, and viewing during playback.

I find this to be such an advantage, that I record my style play as a sequence, so I can add lyrics,
and additional realtime parts the style does not cover..

Roland keyboards allow a few more features..like changing up a sequence play with "Cover"
or "make up" tools..again in realtime..They can change the overall sound instantly..

Make a dance tune into a big sound to fill a dance floor (punch)..

The Roland features work with both style and sequencer..

There is room for both types of play..and you are not taking advantage of your keyboard,
if you don't use both.

When backing a guest singer, unless they are use to singing with sequences,
it is better to use a style..even then,
sometimes it is better just to back them with piano..

#392799 - 09/06/14 03:08 PM Re: Have Arranger KBs died out ? [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I can't think of anything more restrictive than backing tracks, especially an MP3. You are limited to a certain time frame, and when the file ends, it ends - Period!

With a style file I can work through the variations, turn on or off any segment of the style I wish, and if it's one of those nights when it seems to take forever to get someone on the dancefloor, often near the middle of the song, with a style I can extend that song, turn it into a medley, or if need be, shorten the song and go on to something else that is more appealing to the crowd.

Sure, I use an occasional midi file, maybe one or two a night, but for the most part, I'll stick with the styles, most of which just happen to be fantastic sounding. One thing for certain, the audiences sure seem to love them as much as I do.

No animosity, Donny - Just the facts!

Cheers,

Gary 8)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online