SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#390995 - 07/22/14 11:23 AM Selecting Styles For a SET
NoteBender Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
A few years ago when I was deciding between a Korg or Yamaha I had been concerned about the availability of styles for a Korg board.

I now have two style SET's with many more styles than will fit in the Pa600. I have friends that regularly jam. The music they play is mostly older Country (e.g. Hank Williams to George Strait), older Pop, and a bit of Pop Celtic (e.g. Wild Colonial Boy).

Although I do enjoy a little of the Boom-Boom of the popular "Dance/Rave" music, it's not something I would actually use. So is there a way to pick the Country styles from one SET and overwrite the Dance/Rave styles of the currently installed SET or combine them into an amalgamated SET?

I noticed that there is a Korg PA Manager recently listed, but how was it done before? I haven't noticed anything in the Korg manual. Is there an earlier thread somewhere on this?

#391088 - 07/23/14 06:24 AM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
billyhank Offline

I don't know about the 600, but in the 900 and the 3X you can turn off memory protect and copy and paste your user styles to any of the main styles. Then after you have the arrangement you like, just turn on the protection again to protect your new settings.

#391104 - 07/23/14 10:49 AM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
NoteBender Offline

Yes, I believe the Pa600 is the same.

I've been reading a tutorial "How to customize a style bank" at Korgpa.com and I think this is how I would do it:

- Connect my second styles SET to the KB via the USB port,
- open the SET folder and select the desired bank and style,
- select the target location where I want a style from my first SET overwritten.

I think where I initially went astray was thinking I would do this combining of styles from my two huge SETs separate from my KB using just my PC alone. (I guess that is where the "Korg PA Manager" that was recently released would be used.)

Am I correct in assuming that most KB owners do the same thing, pick and choose to make their own very large custom set and then back it all up so they don't have to do this detail combining more than once and then just add the odd new style to their custom SET when needed?

#391107 - 07/23/14 01:09 PM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
To Edit/Change/Replace a Factory Style in any Style Set, you must first go to Global>Mode Preferences>Media and 'un-check' the Factory Style and Pad Protect. You can then do whatever you want with the Factory Styles.

When I want to add or replace a Factory Style, I usually D/L the new style into a User area and then 'Copy and Paste' the style from User to Factory.

Always back up what you do, but I do not think these settings will change unless you change them or do a Factory Reset.

However, keep in mind that if you Edit the 'Bossa Nova' style in "Latin P1 Slot number 3" and set it up for a song, let's say "Girl From Ipanema' and put it in a playlist, if you later change "Latin P1 Slot number 3" to "Classic Cha Cha" and move "Bossa Nova" to another location, you must then re-configure "Girl From Ipanema" to look where "Bossa Nova" now resides. The notation "Girl From Ipanema" in the 'Songlist' (Playlist) refers to the the LOCATION of the associated style, not to the style itself.

#391109 - 07/23/14 02:22 PM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: tony mads usa]
NoteBender Offline

Good stuff to remember, thanks.

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
..... refers to the the LOCATION of the associated style, not to the style itself.

Must have been a surprise first time that happened.

#391113 - 07/23/14 02:59 PM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
surprised you've got that right... it happened when I switched my song list from the PA600 to the PA900 ... fortunately I found out while at home and not while on a gig ...

#391207 - 07/27/14 01:21 AM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
With my Pa50sd I use an old program called KAT2000 it lets you open the sty files and copy from one bank to another. It's a bit buggy but functional.

#391212 - 07/27/14 07:49 AM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: NoteBender]
MusicalMemories Offline

Loc: Arbroath,Angus,Scotland
With my Pa50sd I use an old program called KAT2000 it lets you open the sty files and copy from one bank to another. It's a bit buggy but functional.

#391403 - 08/02/14 10:41 AM Re: Selecting Styles For a SET [Re: MusicalMemories]
NoteBender Offline

Originally Posted By: MusicalMemories

It doesn't appear that their website is all up, but the demo of KAT2000 did download successfully from timomusic.ch/kat2000_tanitim.htm.

I'll try it out and see how it works.

Edited by NoteBender (08/02/14 10:43 AM)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online