SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#390860 - 07/21/14 12:37 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
On a lighter note, today, while loading my gear in my van, I found what appeared to be the rubber foot from either someone's keyboard stand or maybe their stool. For those that attended, check those stands and if you're missing a rubber foot, I'll be more than happy to mail it to you.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390861 - 07/21/14 12:37 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: leezone]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: leezone
thanks for sharing guys,

anything new shown off with any keyboards as far as styles, sounds, features, OS, etc.?

Aj's demo of the Audya/Ajamsonic was terrific, as was his demo of the the MidJPro. The demo of the Midj was especially interesting because he took a Tyros5 and thru midi controlled the the MidJ. What he showed was the best of both worlds, the stellar sounds of the T5 with the great audio/loops/styles of the MidJPro.

#390879 - 07/21/14 03:10 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Gary and Carol, your hospitality was second to none. I've gotten to do some really great things in my life and I've been hosted by the best, but I must confess, you guys come out on top. Add to that your lovely daughter and her friend Chrissy. It was an incredible weekend and I was very proud to be a part of it. I so enjoyed meeting the other guys and their wives and the music was grand. Again, thanks so much for all you put into this event. It was awesome!

Your friend always,

Joe clap clap clap

#390881 - 07/21/14 03:13 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
And to all the guys who posted very kind comments about my music, thank you so much. It means a lot coming from my peers. Good luck in all your endeavors.

Joe keys

#390890 - 07/21/14 04:06 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bill didn't bring his keyboard in, and he left a bit early. He wanted to get back home to Cape May last night instead of spending the night at a hotel. I would have liked to heard it too, but that's OK. He and his lovely wife had lots of fun, enjoyed the music and everyone's company.

Gary

You know I did have all good intentions of playing the BK9. I even brought the bass pedals to do something different then the typical arranger mode of playing. Was gonna jam some Blues and Swing. Got there pretty early, about 12:30, and saw Gary helping Aj with the Audya huge setup. Went into the downstairs room and it was wall to wall Arranger setups. 5 in all. Really no room for another. After Gary got done with AJ he went into his "Chef of the Future" mode and we didn't see him much for the next two hours. Just plates and plates of grilled goodies. And Smoked Salmon, and Jumbo Shrimp, and all kinds of snacks, and ice cold Coors, and and and !!! The man has a calling in the catering business.
I figured that driveway hill was just too much so I'd just hang back and enjoy, and boy did we.
Also had the plan to get back to Cape May that night as I had a
1 PM job today. Sorry to bail early but it really wasn't that early. Left about 6:20, thats six hours of music and food, and got home at 9.
All in all it was a great day and I listened and learned from a bunch of seasoned pros. Great bunch of guys and girls.

Let me throw out a question to those who were there:
What are your standout thoughts of the day music wise ?

#390891 - 07/21/14 04:14 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Bill didn't bring his keyboard in, and he left a bit early. He wanted to get back home to Cape May last night instead of spending the night at a hotel. I would have liked to heard it too, but that's OK. He and his lovely wife had lots of fun, enjoyed the music and everyone's company.

Gary
You know I did have all good intentions of playing the BK9. I even brought the bass pedals to do something different then the typical arranger mode of playing. Was gonna jam some Blues, Swing and Reggae. Got there pretty early, about 12:30, and saw Gary helping Aj with the Audya huge setup. Went into the downstairs room and it was wall to wall Arranger setups. 5 in all. Aj's was realoly a double setup so lets say 6. Really no room for another.
After Gary got done with AJ he went into his "Chef of the Future" mode and we didn't see him much for the next two hours. Just plates and plates of grilled goodies, Burgers, Kabobs, Bratwurst. And Smoked Salmon, and Salmon and Roasted Garlic dip, and Jumbo Shrimp, and all kinds of snacks, and ice cold Coors, and, frozen mini Eclairs for dessert, and and, and, and !!! The man has a calling in the catering business.
I figured that driveway hill was just too much so I'd just hang back and enjoy, and boy did we.
Also had the plan to get back to Cape May that night as I had a
1 PM job today. Sorry to bail early but it really wasn't that early. Left about 6:20, thats six hours of music and food, and got home at 9.
All in all it was a great day and I listened and learned from a bunch of seasoned pros. Great bunch of guys and girls.

Let me throw out a question to those who were there:
What are your standout thoughts of the day music wise ? I was thinking about it today while on my gig and wondering what othere came away with.

#390892 - 07/21/14 04:28 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: Bill Lewis]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Not necessarily in answer to Bill's question, but here are my thoughts on the JAM ...
Joe - I've already made a comment on the 'early' vids of Joe singing ... the man is a pro - singing just seems to come so natural and easy for him ... did a great job on several different genres ... I would have loved to have sung the harmony to "Let It Be Me" with him ...
Eddie ... the guy plays in two keys - F# and Gb !!! ... never met a black key he didn't like ... laugh2 ... can't read a note of music, but one thing I have often noticed about 'ear' players ... they play some REALLY nice chords, and Eddie proves that ... and he has a great sense of humor,and I have to get the lyrics to his version of "San Fransisco" ... rotfl
Ray ... not a singer, but a REALLY good player ... I am sorry he didn't play more, frown but we 'microphone' guys kinda took over ...
Steve ... when I met him he couldn't sing a lick .... he has come a loooong way, and he is not about to back down from doing a difficult song ...
AJ ... the man CAN play WHOLE songs!!! ... sings too ... I had a ball singing "Jamaica Farewell" with him ...
Gary - he IS an entertainer ! ... he's the first to say he is not a musician, but I think he's better than he gives himself credit for ... the man can 'put over' a song ...
Bill ... very sorry he didn't sing or play ... if I had known his gear was in his car I would have taken Gary's tractor and gotten it myself ... I would have loved to hear the BK9 ...
All in all, I had a BLAST and I hope everyone else did too - but if anyone didn't, it was their OWN fault ...

BTW ... the AJAMSONIC Audya is KILLER!!! ... IMHO it is the best sounding arranger I have ever heard ... I don't know what the learning curve would be, but in AJ's hands it had to be heard live to be believed ... now his 100lb speaker may have helped, but still ... grin and as Steve commented, the Midjay through the T5 was awesome as well ...

BTW #2 ... On the trip home Lydia and I were discussing the possibility of having one at our place next year ... perhaps in the Spring? ... any interest???

To address Bill's question, I think Joe's singing, Ray's playing, and the sound of the Audya, were musical highlights ...

blush --- how redfaced am I ?!?!? ... how could I not comment on the beautiful job done by Gary's daughter Laura on the songs she sang ...

Bill ... you had the opportunity to just sit and really listen - what are YOUR thoughts?

Edited by tony mads usa (07/21/14 04:44 PM)

#390897 - 07/21/14 05:01 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

1. Joe's voice has gotten a lot of positive comments so it reinforces what I've said before. Vocals first and everything else is second. And what did our small sudience focus on, the vocals and sing alongs.
2. The Audya is amazing. The sax sounds were totally incredable. Not for me in that price range but it is a true TOTL keyboard.
3. All the arrangers did a good job in different ways. They all backed up the players who knew how to use them.
4. Nice to see a bunch of guys with similar interests and talents. Sometimes I feel like I'm on and Island playing an arranger.
Maybe more later as I mull over the day.

#390899 - 07/21/14 05:36 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill not sure what you were looking for but between your comments and Tony's got me thinking.

First nice to hear your stories about your B3 days. I enjoyed the phone call from Tony Monaco story and other Hammond stories, especially loading the B3 into a van by yourself just using the dollies, carefully lifting one end at a time. I'm with Tony if I knew you needed some help with the equipment I would have assisted brining it into Gary's home.

My friends Tony and Lydia who only live 20 minutes away from where I do. All I can say is not only are they great people, but Tony plays and sings up a storm, never knew how capable Tony was unitl a few months ago when we met at his home to spend most of the day jamming. I know what he is doing when not playing golf or tending his family, sure shows he's working on music. YES count me in for an arranger jam next spring...........maybe we can get our buddy Donny to RI too.

Ray made my T5-76 sing when he played Quando,Quando, Quando and makes me realize how the modest paino chops I once had have headed south since getting involved with arrangers.

Been corresponding with Eddie for sometime now and I have a ton of respect for a musician like him who doesn't read a single dot, but plays and entertains so well.

Gary 'nuff said, he's a great entertainer and loves it and to hitch hike on Tony's comment, he doesn't give himself enough credit as a musician.

Joe is a Pro's Pro. AJ not only can he play and sing but he's a technical wizard as well.

Unlike most of you I never played a gig in my life until somwhere around 2006, played piano only at home prior to that and never did any vocals unitl maybe about 5 years ago. Once upon at time I thought anyone could sing, yea the pros made it look so easy I thought there's nothing to it, WRONG! Yesterday was a mini education for me seeing and hearing others play and a lot of fun.

#390900 - 07/21/14 05:58 PM Re: Synzone Jam, 2014 - day one... [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Online   content

Quote:
BTW #2 ... On the trip home Lydia and I were discussing the possibility of having one at our place next year ... perhaps in the Spring? ... any interest???

I have come to realize after attending the jam in Louisiana a few years ago which was amazing!!..... a Rhode Island North East Coast jam would have to be at least a whole weekend 2 or 3 days for me anyway from the jersey shore to really enjoy it.,....not out of the question,.... just a bit a date shuffling and planning that's all,between hotel, driving, rest, etc,...but, meeting Frankie V, maybe Mikey Maestro? etc, and Italian dinner on the "Hill" would be a really fun time. keys

Edited by Dnj (07/21/14 06:00 PM)

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online