SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#390766 - 07/19/14 02:10 PM Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC?
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Our current system consists of two Bose Compacts and one Yamaha speaker..a DXR 12..sounds as good as the DXR 15(we had) in our smaller venues...lighter.

The Bose compacts are great but I tend to hear bigger sounds through the Yamaha DXR 12 that we now have, and are now thinking about another speaker to compliment the DXR 12.

Also, heard some stuff from friends with QSC speakers...pricier but supposedly better.

QSC's competitor from Yamaha turns out to be the DSR 112. Probably sounds as good but not as versatile input wise.

So now I'm listening to QSC, Yamaha and Bose as well...Bose L1 Model II with the bigger B2 bass system.

I've been chasing good sound for the better part of 45+ years. So I'm always wondering what is next for us.

Any thoughts re: QSC, Yamaha and Bose?

Probably for our seniors(60+ yrs old that we play to), I could use a boombox and that would be fine....but this is for me.

Tx. smile

Edited by guitpic1 (07/19/14 02:12 PM)

#390782 - 07/20/14 05:19 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
You've got 1 12" DXR so its a no brainer. Get another one and use the stereo link function. three cahnnel mixer too.
Stop reading reviews and use your ears. You know the DXR sounds good so go for it. Can't beat the quality build either.

#390785 - 07/20/14 06:26 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
For me, also chasing sound systems for decades, and vividly recalling those days of setting up those 112-pound Peavey's many years ago, hefting the Barbettas up on poles, I'll stick withe Bose systems for a number of reasons.

First and foremost, since switching to the Bose L1 systems, I no longer have anyone saying they cannot understand what I'm saying when making announcements. The clarity and overall sound quality is unsurpassed.

For broad, evenly distributed sound coverage, again, those vertical arrays are unsurpassed. No falloff to contend with, no blasting people sitting close to the speakers while those in the back of the room can barely hear you. Those days are long gone.

Now, this is my opinion, others will, obviously, vary. Some people still want the overemphasized mid range sounds of a conventional sound system. I'm just not one of them. I sincerely believe that Bose is the forerunner in sound quality, and I'm not alone in this feeling. Nearly every DJ, KJ and OMB performer in MY immediate area has switched to Bose L1 systems. Expensive, absolutely - but we feel it's well worth the price.

Good luck on whatever you decide upon,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390790 - 07/20/14 08:00 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Depends which qsc speakers.K series or KW...For the money I would go with dxr12 over K12..Both good, but dxr is better at high volumes.Also dxr is cheaper, so no brainer..KW is better , also DSR is realy good.I have dsr12.Much better than dxr or K ...

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#390792 - 07/20/14 08:42 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I have 2 K8's and an EV sub that kicks serious a** when I need it.
Most times, I just take the Bose Compact ..... I only need more headroom if people are going to speak loudly, shout, sing, whatever or I really need to thump serious bass for a large dance crowd.
Bass and vocals eat up headroom in an instant, so it's nice to have more than enough when you're in a large situation.

#390794 - 07/20/14 10:41 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
The Yamaha DXR (7 year warranty) is the competition to the QSC K Series (6 year warranty). The Yamaha DSR compares to the QSC KW Series.

Humans are always looking for something better. A better vehicle... House... Shoes... Trumpets... Keyboards... And speakers.

I would buy a second DXR12. Then you could be in stereo. And since I have 2 ears, I'm in stereo. The keyboard's samples are done in stereo. There will be a difference to you but your audience will love you no matter what. As long as you are good. They will feed off of your joy while you perform in stereo!!

I always use 2 Yamaha DXR10 speakers in stereo. As long as the audience can hear us and we are not too loud, we all have success. My Motif and Pa900 sound great through the DXR10 stereo combination for 90% of our gigs. Add a sub and they shine even more.

If I bought the QSC K10 in the first place, then I would tell you that they work great. We always want to think ours is best and not what it is... Just different but close.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#390799 - 07/20/14 02:54 PM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: shueymusic]
guitpic1 Offline

Thanks for the comments all. Guess at my age I should stop chasing about anything...run out of breath...and money. smirk

Thanks for the comments.

I'm probably going to sit tight for a while and see if I can find a good used DXR 12 and save a few.

I still like the Bose Compacts..don't get me wrong. I just seem to get a fuller sound with the DXR12. One person suggested I use the compacts and then daisy chain the DXR12 as a sub. We'll see.

Next, I have to do some looking at a mixer. Going to need at least 8 channels...so I'm looking at the Mackie ProFX12..but that's another story.

Thanks again.

#390802 - 07/20/14 03:49 PM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Buy another DXR12......great speakers I love them...
I had the Mackie Profx 12...wasn't thrilled dumped it fast! .....

I do however love my Yamaha MG series mixers.....
great FX and quality.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/analog-mixers/mg_xu_model/?mode=series

#390813 - 07/20/14 09:09 PM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Buy another DXR12......great speakers I love them...
I had the Mackie Profx 12...wasn't thrilled dumped it fast! .....

I do however love my Yamaha MG series mixers.....
great FX and quality.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/analog-mixers/mg_xu_model/?mode=series

I'll check out the XU series. Might be a possibility. I did own a Mackie mixer once and it was so flat and transparent that I didn't like the sound. Don't know much about the new ones though.

Edited by guitpic1 (07/20/14 09:10 PM)

#390841 - 07/21/14 08:47 AM Re: Yamaha DXR users.. Have you considered QSC? [Re: guitpic1]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
How much money you want to spend on a mixer?

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online