SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#390660 - 07/17/14 02:45 AM playing your arranger on mega-speakers
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Bill (Lewis) and Gary mentioned (in another post) using a really "high end" PA system to sing and play through. I'm using expensive Electro-Voice speakers but, by necessity, nothing huge that I can't carry.

I was in Sam Ash on their talent night because the manager asked me to come in and play the accordion as it would be something different from the multiple guitarists. I can still remember when he plugged me into a huge JBL cabinet...the difference in sound quality and volume and just plain "guts!" My accordion never sounded better and I felt like I just doubled my playing ability because the enhanced sound gave me more freedom of expression in my playing.

So.....my question is.......have any of you playing an arranger ever played it over a really powerhouse speaker system (I'm talking about speakers you need a crane to lift)?

I already mentioned that I'm thinking about starting working on my PA3x and when Bill mentioned you need good playing skills, better vocals, and a great PA system.....that started me thinking I've never heard what "any" arranger would sound like on a system that Yanni would use to play to 100,000 people! The kind of a system that would take a dozen UPS trucks to haul in. I'm wondering would something like that really wake up an audience at a large outdoor festival or event?

Mark

Edited by Mark79100 (07/17/14 02:46 AM)

#390668 - 07/17/14 06:19 AM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Mark79100]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
My large system is 4 1000 watt Crowns, 16 15"'s with horns, 4 18 " powered subs.

I use it with a band; not usually with an arranger. Occasionally, I'll play breaks on the arranger.

It's louder, for sure (LOL)!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (07/17/14 06:20 AM)

#390669 - 07/17/14 06:58 AM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
The fullness and especially bottom end will certainly inspire your playing but as you said the practical matter of moving a big system is something we all must deal with. When I had a trio and was using a drum machine, keyboards and bass pedals I sometimes would bring my 2 X 15" subwoofer. Whole new world.

A guy I mentioned in previous posts "Al Rondo" had a massive system but he didn't move. Played 6 nights a week in one place. When he went from his longtime gig at a big resort to a restaurant he was "just using" 8 JBL three way cabinets with 18" woofers in them and on top he had 8 high end stereo speakers for the 1 mic he had for guest singers. He really rocked the dinner crowd BIG SOUND !
If I ever got a stable gig again I would have a full range 15" cabinet facing me just for a monitor.
Looks like Capt. Russ wins the I got the most toys contest. Love to hear it someday.

Edited by Bill Lewis (07/17/14 06:59 AM)

#390670 - 07/17/14 07:28 AM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
At one time I performed using a pair of Bose L1 standards rigged with 4 bass bins - best sounding, overall, system I've ever used. 2,200 watts total.

The largest system was a house setup at the Maryland Senior Expo at the Maryland State Fair Grounds, 35,000-watts, speakers all over the place that were immense, it was awesome.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#390671 - 07/17/14 08:06 AM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: travlin'easy]
Rustykeys Offline

Loc: Massachusetts/USA
I already know that a Hammond thru a Leslie 122 can't be beat, and I have played my Tyros 3 thru the same Leslie. What a big difference from my M 2101. Bigger & powerful = GREAT SOUNDS cool2

#390686 - 07/17/14 03:25 PM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Rustykeys]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I've played a few gigs where 'they' supplied the sound system, and MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! ... also, those few times came with a professional sound man who really knew what he was doing ...
Reminds me of the time we saw Shirley Bassey perform at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC ... the opening act - male/female vocal duo - was good and the PA system sound good too... THEN, they got ready for Ms Bassey and about six 4X4 foot speakers came out from the walls ... talk about a DIFFERENCE ! ...

#390697 - 07/17/14 06:04 PM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Mark79100]
zuki Offline

I'm very pleased (so far) with my PRO speakers. I use them as wedges behind me and can really hear things well. The PA3x is my gear. Will never play a 61 note board again. The thin footprint and wheeled case makes it an easy do. Loving every minute again and seeing old friends.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#390698 - 07/17/14 07:32 PM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: zuki]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
YEAH ZUKI !!! keys
I went through the 'period' of not playing gigs, so I know how it feels once you get back out there ... enjoy every note you play !!!

#390699 - 07/17/14 09:13 PM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: tony mads usa]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Hi,

Maybe we don't need a crane to carry, but we HAVE to transport in a custom built trailer.

The earth really vibrates where we play regularly, especially since adding those Celstion 18" double basss bins! I think we're good for a few thousand people, but most definitely not 100 000! But we're aiming to get there...

Cheers,

Henni

Attachments
2013-07-28-2428.jpg

2013-07-28-2422.jpg

2013-07-28-2426.jpg

2013-07-28-2442.jpg

#390700 - 07/17/14 11:06 PM Re: playing your arranger on mega-speakers [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
These are some mighty impressive speakers you guys have, but I think I said my question wrong. I meant....

Does your arranger sound a lot different when using huge speakers......do you feel better about playing it and feel like a king on his throne.......do you "play" better......what does it feel like under your fingers...can it almost compete with a small band (with lesser speakers) in "fullness" of sound. I'm talking about speakers that will make that bass rip through the earth like a bolt of lightning, the accompaniment instruments sound like an actual band behind you, a string patch come across like the London Philharmonic, etc

I went to see this "Salsa-American" orchestra last week at an outdoor Festival. 11 Latinos in the orchestra and all I could hear is the cowbell cutting through. I looked. They were using 20 year old Peavey combo amps on the floor and NOTHING in the air. I couldn't make out a thing they were playing (and that cowbell rang in my ears long after I left)!

The week before that I saw a DJ at another festival trying to cover a whole football field including the spectator stands using 10" QSC speakers. I had to go stand next to him to hear what he was playing.

My point: after Bill (Lewis) mentioned "P.A. systems" I've been noticing more than ever that few bands around here use really good speakers. So.....I've been thinking is THAT the gimmick you need to make it these days as an arranger player? A huge sound that wraps itself around you, knocks the stuffing out of you, and makes you just plain want to dance?

I'm very happy with my Electro-Voice system but now I'm really wondering what the potential is of a high-end arranger using really high-end speakers? Would that possibly lead to a resurrection of the arranger keyboard....or would it just lead to a lot of grumpy musicians signing up to work out at gyms just so they can carry around speakers big enough to put a gift shop in them?

Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online