SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#390677 - 07/17/14 11:54 AM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: Mark79100]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thankfully, Gary, I'm quite content as a musician (and occasional entertainer)...it has certainly served me very well, both financially, and, in personal satisfaction, over these many years.

I'll leave the real entertaining to those who are really entertaining enough to really entertain.

I'm far too selfish at this point in my life to play anything but what I really enjoy playing...certainly one of the perks in retirement.

Yes, vive la différence for sure.

Ian

#390685 - 07/17/14 03:20 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I know we all have our own way to entertain, but even after reading all the above, I don't know why anyone would get bored playing instrumentals ... JMHO ...

#390687 - 07/17/14 03:35 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: tony mads usa]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
I know we all have our own way to entertain, but even after reading all the above, I don't know why anyone would get bored playing instrumentals ... JMHO ...

+1

#390688 - 07/17/14 03:39 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

I think it's more the audiences getting bored sitting there listening for hours of solo arranger KB instrumentals.

#390694 - 07/17/14 04:42 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I think it's more the audiences getting bored sitting there listening for hours of solo arranger KB instrumentals.

A full tip jar is always a good sign that audience boredom does not exist...plus, if you can't keep listener tedium at bay playing instrumentals on any of the recently made arranger keyboards, it's probably time to take up another profession, perhaps tollbooth operator or parking booth attendant.

Ian

#390695 - 07/17/14 04:50 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: tony mads usa]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa

Me neither, Tony...plus it's always an interesting challenge to find tunes that work well as instrumentals...not all songs can manage that transition.

We have a remarkable keyboard at our disposal that literally allows for "instant" arranging (or, re-arranging, if you will) so if we can't manage to make a tune interesting, it isn't the instrument's fault. wink

Ian

#390696 - 07/17/14 05:14 PM Re: My PA3x recording and mixed feelings about it [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Yes, Ian, and has been discussed several times here, that includes key modulations, tempo/rhythm changes, etc. etc. ...

I LOVE to sing, and I wouldn't play a senior gig without doing it, but I have played gigs where only instrumentals were wanted, and I did not get bored ...
Funny thing, speaking of senior gigs, I was doing a routine at one and I did a 'Dick Contino' style version of "Lady of Spain" using the accordion voices and they LOVED it ... but that was only one instrumental mixed in with the vocals ...
But, that's why there is vanilla, chocolate, and Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia and New York Super Fudge Chunk !!!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online