SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#38963 - 05/28/06 05:11 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Along with others, kudos to kn7 for this post.

To Alec - It is time to fess up. We all know you are the one that created the KN boards - admit it. You know too much.

Scott

#38964 - 05/29/06 12:14 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Back to Grandpa Doug briefly...I have been sent some styles purporting to come from a Kn1000 and wondered whether you would mind testing them out on your KN1000 as my EMC software doesn't seem to recognise them as being from any Technics Model including the KN1000 - the guy wants them converted for use in his Kn7000 which normally I can do with EMC...can you help by testing them for me on your KN1000?
Rog

#38965 - 05/29/06 02:20 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello All
Here is a short section of the post I did on the Blackpool Keyboard Festival UK and I think might interest you.
The evening concert started with Chris Jones playing the Yamaha US 1 and Technics KN 7000, (Which he has built into one cabinet) and even taking into account that the sound system did not seem set up correctly, his overall performance was rather bland, however in spite of this, one thing did stand out, and that was the KN 7000, which in spite of all the improvements other mainstream manufactures have made, can still hold its head up high.

Bill

#38966 - 05/29/06 09:09 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Roger, send them over. (dugg@ync.net) will do the job quite nicely. Can’t send out yet but can get your mail. Come to think of it Rog, I don’t believe I have ever loaded anything into that KN. Hold on a minute and let me run upstairs and see if there is even a disk drive in the thing. I can’t believe it! I whipped the cover off and no drive. Putting the cover back on I felt something on the right side as I pulled the cover down over the board. I looked and lo and behold a disk drive on the right side of that bugger. Over all these years I never knew it had one or I had forgotten all about it. I don’t believe I ever used the thing. I did however wear out the drive on my KN5000 by using it so much. I must have shoved thousands and thousands of those babies in and out. I finally got me a hard drive and thought I was in heaven and I was.

Alec, you bring up some happy memories for me with your comment on the Yamaha forum. If that isn’t a pitiful example and representation of a supposedly high-end keyboard discussion forum and it’s owners I never seen one. One thing I got to admit is that Yamaha and some of those west coast players really were a great source of fun for me. When Scotty and some of those other Yamaha PSR buff’s were trying to justify their purchase of those toys by touting there excellence over our KN’s on our forum is when Yamaha gave me great joy. If that was all they could afford or thought was the pinnacle of keyboard excellence, that was OK by me. Just don’t come into my house and shove your toys into my toy box. I think the story about Ruthie finding me on the floor throwing up and mumbling something was hilarious. Well, for me anyway for I have somewhat of a, you might say, warped sense of humor at times. Anyway Ruthie thought I had to go to the pot when she thought I was saying pisser when I was really saying PSR.

Well enough of that for the KN is no longer a threat or challenge to Yamaha. We still get demo’s of the Yamaha T for 2 from those guys once in a while. I know, I know it’s presented as purely to appreciate the merits of arranger keyboards. I’ll tell you one thing. If the vocal did not drown out or mask the T2 sound it would be about as dull as an old pair of shoes.

Before I go any further and sound like I have anything against Scotty I want everyone to know for certain, I DON’T! I think Scotty has a great voice. I know for certain that he has mastered the art of handling that voice and presenting his most inward feelings of the song. As for his ability in musicianship he does not have to take a back seat to anyone. I would also like to say the T2 is suitable as a backup for vocals. The piano as Scotty uses it as a break or solo in his vocals is perfectly acceptable. However and I do say however because I mean however!

There still is no board out there to match the quality and authenticity of sound like the KN. Almost 50 years of dance band experience in the reed section and dubbing on accordion in specialty charts leaves me with no other conclusion. You need no other proof than to listen to Larry’s Big Band Stuff for reality. I don’t sing but have a canary with me as the occasion warrants so vocals is the lesser concern for me when I use my KN for an engagement. For the last dozen years it has been mostly solo KN work.

Well guys and gals, here I go again running off at the mouth so until I find something better than I got for my kind of work and enjoyment I will try not to drop, run over, spill beer in or destroy in any other way, any of my KN’s.

Grandpa Doug and his other little beauty, Ruthie.

#38967 - 05/29/06 09:28 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
On the way Doug and thanks
Rog

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online