SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#38953 - 05/27/06 01:11 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Hey! A lot of us old timers are still around. We're the ones that came over from the old Technics site to this great one, quite some time ago. And sometimes we will answer a post, but not so much anymore since so many others have acquired the skills to answer questions that newcomers ask. But, we still look in to see what's going on or what old familiar name might pop up. I hardly see Lindoz or Larry Hawk or even Bebop in a post any more, but I'm sure they're still around and reading the posts. It's good to see Roger and Willum and Alec still active, not to mention many others. And, where would a lot of us be without Gunnar Jonny and his web site to help us along.
See, we haven't gone anywhere.......there's just a new generation of players asking questions and answering them. I still have my KN6000 and KN7000 and always will until they die, and then I happen to know someone who has a KN7000 hidden in their attic, so I hope I'm good for many years to come.

Remember also, some of us are getting older and other things take up our free time, such as taking care of our soul mates, watching grandchildren grow up, naps, etc. But, it's Technics keyboards that manage to keep us off the streets and out of trouble, and playing one is sort of magical, isn't it? Imagine that, a whole orchestra at one's fingertips!! Many times I've fantasized about how nice it would have been to have one of those keyboards when I was a teenager in the fifties. Wow! Right now I'm still stuffing styles onto an SD card and getting things ready to record again. Maybe some of the songs I recorded back in the early days of keyboards when we had to use mikes and a tape recorder. Now, using the Rolls-Royce of keyboards, it's almost too easy to record and edit, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

For those of you just now coming on board, our welcome mat is still out. The best advice I can give anyone is to just try out different aspects of your keyboard. Experiment with it. Use Alec's book to clear up cloudy areas and if that doesn't help, post. We were all in your position at one time and we all had to learn the in's and out's of our new keyboards - even Alec - so don't give up. Be thankful there are so many people now that can answer your questions, and are happy to do so.

So good luck to you all, and if God allows keyboards in Heaven, we'll be set for eternity! Happy playing. Bud Whipple

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 05-27-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 05-27-2006).]

#38954 - 05/27/06 04:42 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
To all,

Well Ladies&Gents these posts are kinda
humbling for me .The so called pro side
of playing dosent mean much anymore,after
realizing the joy all of you get from your
keyboards.
So play on I salute you all.

Barry

#38955 - 05/27/06 05:02 PM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
A big hand to KN7 who started this with his post, he certainly got many to respond.

John C.

#38956 - 05/28/06 12:46 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I'm still around....I only wish Technics was too.

To answer the topics question...Yes, I suppose sooner or later, this Technics forum will completely dry up. Keyboards don't last forever, parts become scarce, and players move on.

I still have the KN3000, and the KN7000, along with a Yamaha PSR-2000. I'm seriously thinking of moving these 3 for a Tyros-2.

The decision to end production of Technics keyboards, still has me a little upset, but that should not be an excuse for not participating more on this forum.

I'll try a little harder, although that would be easier if we were talking, maybe KN-9000

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#38957 - 05/28/06 02:16 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
...Yes, I suppose sooner or later, this Technics forum will completely dry up. Keyboards don't last forever.....

Well, sooner or later both we and the keyboards will be "completly dryed up"
I guess, cause nothing last forwer some say. Probably only a matter of time,
a few million years or so.
My good old KN5000 is "buildt like a tank", so it probably last longer than
me......

But maybe some new keyboard brands and/or further developed technology will
help to keep up the discussions around, I'm wodering a bit about what's to
come on this site: http://www.technotemusic.com/keyboards.htm
Myself I would love to see a mix of Technics KN <-> Ketron SD, maybe a new
Techtron or Ketronics ???
Yeah, I know, wishful thinking....

Happy Playing & Posting, whatever brand we play on.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#38958 - 05/28/06 03:06 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am now realizing just how many Technics people still check in to this forum to, if nothing else, see what's going on. I know I do several times a day. Up until recently I began to wonder why I did. I then began to think that if everyone was just anomynously lurking, who is to know that there is still a large following ?

This thread at least provided a catylist to spark some responses from people that are before my time, and people like Grandpa Doug, with his funny wit. Yes, time marches on, and the good old glory days are over, with all of the excitement and frustration over brand new challenges like the "infernal SD card", and Alec coming to the rescue, and Bill Norrie,and others establishing websites.

I started to jump ship, but couldn't find a keyboard I liked more than my KN7000. I resisted my tendency to switch just because there was a new flagship keyboard out there. I love a challenge, but a whole different OS, I don't think so.

I found my own personal solution in keeping my beloved KN7000, and buying a Receptor, which is a double space rack computer that handles software programs, and very well at that. This satisfies my new gear addiction and I will keep my old friend to our dying day.

I am not wise enough to offer a solution that already hasn't been mentioned except, that if people would post anything, even a humorous anecdote, we would know you are alive and hopefully well.

Thanks, everyone, for posting.
Bernie

#38959 - 05/28/06 05:26 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Roger Mepstead,

Rog, I’m having trouble with my mail server. I can receive mail but cannot send it. In lew of the problem I will post what I have written for e-mail on this fourm. Here goes -

What’s wrong with these rhythms? Roger I don’t know! I don’t have any EMC software so I have no idea. As far as these disks go are they the rhythms taken from his 1000 and copied to a floppy? How about the floppy? The 1000 only used the small capacity disks. Maybe the rhythms were copied on the wrong type of floppy. Could be the floppy is corrupted. They do that quite often you know. Are those disks third party rhythms? All this must be taken in consideration when trying to determine what’s going on.

My 1000 still pumps out the music it did when I first got it. Run it through a good amp with a good set of speakers and a sub-woofer and you got music. Of course it’s like any other computer, junk in and you’ll get junk out.

How is things with you and your country? Seems like here the keyboards are getting better and better while the politicians are getting worse and worse as times get on. They are getting so wimpy and messed up in their thinking that I think perverts will be the norm and straight thinking folk will be the odd one out. Ruthie and me are sort of glad that we are at the end of our rope, so to speak.

Before I get all bent out of shape and start to get wordy thanks for the thought that I might know anything. The only thing I really know is how to turn it on and play it. I think Ruthie and me could have a smashing time together if we ever came over to your neighborhood.

Grandpa Doug

#38960 - 05/28/06 07:25 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnar Jonny:
Well, sooner or later both we and the keyboards will be "completly dryed up"
I guess, cause nothing last forwer some say.

True, but we don't sit around a board meeting and make a decision to "dry up" our lives.

On the other hand Technics did. This is what is a little upsetting... Corporate greed at it's best. Rather then try to keep the Technics production alive, or at the very least, allow another venture to take over, they just flat out quit.

We all love out Technics keyboards, great keyboards they were, but I can't forgive them for taking away that love. Yes they were built like tanks, but new tanks are better then old tanks. There will be no more new Technics "tanks", maybe it's time to move on....

(Remember the Edsel?)

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#38961 - 05/28/06 08:36 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
technicsplayer Offline

the question was 'is this forum drying up?'. Compare the Yamaha forum here with only 2/3 page of threads in the last month with this forum here with its full page of threads with I would guess over twice as many posts... maybe the question is more pertinent over there

#38962 - 05/28/06 09:08 AM Re: IS THIS FORUM DRYING UP?
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Right you are Alec. Over the years we have lost members to different new keyboards and at the same time we have replaced them with new members.

The exciting periods were the introduction of newer models, which you did a great job. You were probably the best sales person Technics ever had. This missing...as previously stated...lets share some knowledge and learn how to use the great instruments that technics produced.

Fran in SC

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online